Police prepare for trouble ahead of verdict on Future Forward Party

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Police prepare for trouble ahead of verdict on Future Forward Party

Post by sigmoid »

The Constitutional Court is set to rule this afternoon regarding whether Future Forward Party broke the law (again).

Police gear for possible trouble ahead of court's verdict on Future Forward Party

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30382493
Police are preparing measures to ensure public safety and order at the Constitutional Court tomorrow where the verdict on a request to dissolve the Future Forward Party will be delivered, said Pol Maj Gen Somprasong Yenthuam, deputy metropolitan police commander of security.

The court is set to rule on the dissolution case, filed on the grounds that its leader, Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, loaned the party Bt191 million ahead of the 2019 election.

“Officers from two police stations, Makkasan and Thungsonghong, will join forces to patrol the perimeter of the Constitutional Court on Chaeng Watthana Road and monitor the behaviour of Future Forward Party's supporters who are expected to gather at the court tomorrow,” he said. “Furthermore, we will dispatch an additional company of officers from Crowd Control and Protection Division if the situation escalates”.

“We will also deploy police officers at the head office of Future Forward Party on New Phetburi Road where some of the party members will be stationed tomorrow," he said. Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister Gen. Prawit Wongsuwan said today that he did not have any concern regarding the court’s verdict, and believed that all precautionary measures would be in place to handle the situation, adding that “Whatever the verdict is, the Future Forward Party must abide by the court’s decision”.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Police prepare for trouble ahead of verdict on Future Forward Party

Post by sigmoid »

Great news! This will greatly help smooth Thailand's transition to a democrazy-free kingdom. :banana:

FUTURE FORWARD PARTY FOUND GUILTY, DISBANDED BY COURT

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics ... -by-court/
The Constitutional Court dealt the Future Forward Party a possibly fatal blow on Friday (February 21), its judges agreeing with the Election Commission that the party must be dissolved.

The court revoked party executives’ right to contest any more elections for 10 years and prohibited them from registering a new party for the same length of time.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

who are those kids thinking they can change thailand?
UPDATE: The Constitutional Court has dissolved Thailand’s Future Forward political Party after finding it guilty of breaking the laws pertaining to loans, specifically from its leader Thanathorn Jungroongruangkit. The court has also ordered MPs of the party’s executive stripped of their parliamentary status and banned from politics for 10 years.

Party leader Thanathorn and party supporters gathered at the headquarters in Phetchaburi and watched in stunned silence during the reading of the verdict.
https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/politic ... onal-court
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

I see major problems ahead for Thailand. Beyond the divide between "redshirts" and "yellow shirts" (govt/military), you now have the King as a true power player. Add the drop in tourism and economic pain, throw in some dissatisfied party folks and its going to be a major hullabloo over there.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

WildA wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:41 pm I see major problems ahead for Thailand. Beyond the divide between "redshirts" and "yellow shirts" (govt/military), you now have the King as a true power player. Add the drop in tourism and economic pain, throw in some dissatisfied party folks and its going to be a major hullabloo over there.
K#@g doesn't give a shit about thailand, hence reason he spends most of his time in Europe

Redshirts-National United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) and DAAD (Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship ) Supporters of Thaksin
Mainly rural-based from northern and northeastern Thailand, but also including urban-dwelling democracy activists
vs
Yellow shirts-The Democrat Party-led government
Are those opposed to former Thai leader Thaksin Shinawatra and his allies. Mostly southern thailand and the elite of Bangkok. Yellow shirts are the old kings favorite color because of his birthday an the monarchy supporters still wear yellow on mondays

neither are hardly a force in Thailand anymore (Thaksin wont be back)

Current military goverment is here to stay...( unfortunately)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

WildA wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:41 pm I see major problems ahead for Thailand. Beyond the divide between "redshirts" and "yellow shirts" (govt/military), you now have the King as a true power player. Add the drop in tourism and economic pain, throw in some dissatisfied party folks and its going to be a major hullabloo over there.
Yes, it's been obvious for a number of years now that Thailand has been sliding downhill over the past decade or two, There was corruption, political violence, mismanagement, dictatorship, etc. before that, but for a while it seemed like the country was at least progressing. The divisions now are really quite irreconcilable; thus, the end is near.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:11 pm
K#@g doesn't give a shit about thailand, hence reason he spends most of his time in Europe

Redshirts-National United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) and DAAD (Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship ) Supporters of Thaksin
Mainly rural-based from northern and northeastern Thailand, but also including urban-dwelling democracy activists
vs
Yellow shirts-The Democrat Party-led government
Are those opposed to former Thai leader Thaksin Shinawatra and his allies. Mostly southern thailand and the elite of Bangkok. Yellow shirts are the old kings favorite color because of his birthday an the monarchy supporters still wear yellow on mondays

neither are hardly a force in Thailand anymore (Thaksin wont be back)

Current military goverment is here to stay...( unfortunately)
The King gives plenty of shit about Thailand. Its his rice bowl. A few billion dollars is always a reason to give a shit. Thats why he has personal control over the Crown Properties and personal control over the top military unit in the Country. Thats why he has 3.5 million "volunteers" under his personal command.

So, you have the following players, all with their interests: Red Shirts for the ordinary folks and Isaan, Yellow shirts for the Gov't, The Military for the Military, the financial elite for the financial elite and the King and his army unit and minions. Some have compteting interests, some have shared interests. Put all that in the pot with a sever economic downturn and insurgency and see what kind of stew you have after the fire is lit.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Perhaps the US may invade Thailand soon?

US issues statement on dissolution of Future Forward Party
https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30382624
"We note the Thai Constitutional Court’s decision on February 21 ordering the dissolution of the Future Forward Party.The United States strongly supports democratic governance around the world, and appreciates Thailand’s recent seating of a democratically elected government. While the United States does not favor or support any particular political party in Thailand, more than six million voters chose the Future Forward Party in the March 24 elections. The decision to disband the party risks disenfranchising those voters and raises questions about their representation within Thailand’s electoral system."
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

sigmoid wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:20 pm Perhaps the US may invade Thailand soon?

US issues statement on dissolution of Future Forward Party
https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30382624
"We note the Thai Constitutional Court’s decision on February 21 ordering the dissolution of the Future Forward Party.The United States strongly supports democratic governance around the world, and appreciates Thailand’s recent seating of a democratically elected government. While the United States does not favor or support any particular political party in Thailand, more than six million voters chose the Future Forward Party in the March 24 elections. The decision to disband the party risks disenfranchising those voters and raises questions about their representation within Thailand’s electoral system."

No need to invade, just accuse them of
currency manipulation and destroy the economy.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Bit of a damp squib of an immediate reaction for something of such magnitude with 6.8 million voters effectively disenfranchised. A. few hundred lighting candles at Thammasat University last night without even a visible security presence, they drew multiples of that number for the jogging protest a few weeks ago. Impeccably timed as the censure debate on the leadership which was looking touch and go is about to start.

I still think the only thing that will light a fire under the masses to draw a significant protest movement that unites any class, regional and age diverse opposition against the establishment is personal economic hardship. Slowly but surely that may be coming with the stalling economy further impacted by the current hit on the tourism sector, but I just don't see any figureheads capable of uniting a viable opposition movement. The young Bangkok city dwelling billionaire didn't exactly have much to offer the rural poor of the North policy wise.

The establishment are pros at controlling the populace unfortunately, I'd love to see it change as it must be a bleak future for the young masses seeing the disparity and arrogance of the rich and connected private and state benefitting dynasties, I just don't hold out much hope.

Sad state of affairs.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic