Police prepare for trouble ahead of verdict on Future Forward Party

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Police prepare for trouble ahead of verdict on Future Forward Party

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

The problem seems to me that deep down most Thais still want to be subject to a eternity-long rule by a dynastic God King.
When it comes to the crunch that deep-rooted surrender to a paternalistic mysticism trumps both Thailand's much touted democratic ideals, and any distaste they have for the current king.

The question is - how many more generations before this fades enough for the Thai citizenry to take their destiny into their own hands?
Or will they ever? - I am not so sure that economic hard-times will change attitudes (as Cowboy suggests above ^^^)
It is equally likely to send them scurrying back under the God King's skirts like they always have.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

^ I agree with your point of view as well to a very large extent re the institution. How much of it is free expression and how much of it derives from a lack of free expression and ingrained top down peer pressure is something I'll never have a handle on.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

I would say that they know that popular uprisings have consistently been brutally crushed by the military: 1971, 1976, 1992, 2010... What would be the point of another failed attempt at change?

In addition, a number of activists have been murdered. So, the situation is similar to other countries throughout the region. Lay low, stay alive.

Finally, they're probably waiting for those in the UK to end the monarchy there, so as to be able to gain inspiration from them.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

sigmoid wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:52 pm I would say that they know that popular uprisings have consistently been brutally crushed by the military: 1971, 1976, 1992, 2010... What would be the point of another failed attempt at change?

In addition, a number of activists have been murdered. So, the situation is similar to other countries throughout the region. Lay low, stay alive.

Finally, they're probably waiting for those in the UK to end the monarchy there, so as to be able to gain inspiration from them.
or wait for one of the royal family to lose it and murder everyone like the Prince did in Nepal :beer1:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

sigmoid wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:52 pm Finally, they're probably waiting for those in the UK to end the monarchy there, so as to be able to gain inspiration from them.
:plus1:
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:30 am
sigmoid wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:52 pm Finally, they're probably waiting for those in the UK to end the monarchy there, so as to be able to gain inspiration from them.
:plus1:
My sides are hurting, best one so far this year.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Rallies/protest started yesterday at Chulalongkorn and Kasetsart Universities and continued today at Mahidol.

"The protest went peacefully. The protesters dispersed around 7.15 pm."
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic