Cambodian painter Pen Robit

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodian painter Pen Robit

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodian painter Pen Robit offers snapshots of reality through his colourful art
Wednesday, 19 Feb 2020 12:30 PM MYT
By ROUWEN LIN
If he didn’t become an artist, he would probably be a drug addict. Cambodian artist Pen Robit says this quietly, seriously.

“It was art that saved me from this fate, it transformed my life, ” he says.

The 29-year-old simply feels that it would have been all too easy to go down that path in a world where “even young children openly sniff glue by the roadside”.

But Pen, the eldest of four children, had harboured dreams of being an artist from a young age.

“I was maybe 12 or 13 when I realised this, that there is nothing that makes me happier than when I am painting. This feeling has stayed with me till this day, ” he says.

Born and raised in Battambang, he graduated from the non-profit Phare Ponleu Selpak’s School of Visual and Applied Arts there in 2010.

Since then, he has had four solo exhibitions in Cambodia - one in Siem Reap and three in Phnom Penh, where he is now based.
Pen Robit's exhibition also offers military-themed works, including 'The Soldiers' (left) and 'Commander-In-Chief' (oil on canvas, 2020). Photo: The Star/Izzrafiq AliasPen Robit's exhibition also offers military-themed works, including 'The Soldiers' (left) and 'Commander-In-Chief' (oil on canvas, 2020). Photo: The Star/Izzrafiq Alias
His current show Out Of This World at Richard Koh Fine Art in Kuala Lumpur is his first solo exhibition outside his home country, a showcase that boasts vibrant colours and symbolism heavy on military themes.

“I was born after the war, but its consequences are far-reaching. Seeing huge tanks on the road was so amazing to five year old me, but as I grew older, I started to better understand the impact of war on not just the nation but also my family. My father’s family was killed in the war, so this is a rather upsetting family story that will haunt us for generations, ” he shares.

But Out Of This World moves beyond the war story, even if it is something that is ever-present in Pen’s narrative.

“In this series, I have included my thoughts on other problems that plague society, like corruption and natural disasters.

“It also captures some elements of what I yearn for at times, even if I have my doubts that it is really what I want. It is really about all the things that touch me about life in general, ” he says.
https://www.thestar.com.my/lifestyle/cu ... ourful-art

Another thread on the Cambodian urban art scene that may be of interest to you: cambodian-culture-and-language/cambodia ... eu#p296502
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram