Isn't USA a rich country?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Re: Isn't USA a rich country?

Post by AE86 »

Not to mention that EVERYTHING is so expensive to the point where there's no time to simply sit back and breathe.

i.e. I just registered my truck and it cost me $650, which was after spending $1,200 to repair it to pass inspection. Then there's the cellphone bill, $185.20 this month. Even if you have a Super Cub in the U.S. it's usually over $80 just to service it each time and $10 to change the oil. Things add up quickly and the rich country soon becomes not so nice to live in.
-insert signature here
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

AE86 wrote:Not to mention that EVERYTHING is so expensive to the point where there's no time to simply sit back and breathe.

i.e. I just registered my truck and it cost me $650, which was after spending $1,200 to repair it to pass inspection. Then there's the cellphone bill, $185.20 this month. Even if you have a Super Cub in the U.S. it's usually over $80 just to service it each time and $10 to change the oil. Things add up quickly and the rich country soon becomes not so nice to live in.
jesus... hell of a phone bill. i have MetroPCS (runs on T-mobile) and get unlimited talk/data/4g lte for $60/m.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

^Two lines of Verizon on a business contract. I'd get rid of it but the damn cancelation fee is something like $750.
-insert signature here
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Alaska, BTW/ The last picture is of Killer Whales munching salmon next to the boat. Killer Whales were bigger than the boat.

Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Washington State

Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

AE86 wrote:Not to mention that EVERYTHING is so expensive to the point where there's no time to simply sit back and breathe.

i think that should not a big deal, since you can earn more money down there. I guess we pay more for gasoline in Cambodia. I am not so sure but yes for so many things here we pay almost the same price in US.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Thanks Sailorman for posting those beautiful pictures. I am keen to touch and play with snow one day. Touching and seeing snow is one of the thing in my bucket list. :(

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Samouth wrote:Thanks Sailorman for posting those beautiful pictures. I am keen to touch and play with snow one day. Touching and seeing snow is one of the thing in my bucket list. :(
Just make sure the snow isn't yellow before you do so. :D
Samouth wrote: i think that should not a big deal, since you can earn more money down there. I guess we pay more for gasoline in Cambodia. I am not so sure but yes for so many things here we pay almost the same price in US.
The average American car though gets 10 km per litre (mine gets 4-5 km per litre) and the average American drives over 60 km every day. I personally spend an average of about $150-200 a month on fuel now, but before when petrol was expensive, I was well over $400 a month. Then car insurance is $150 a month, oil changes are $80 etc etc. I know you can make more, but it's very easy to spend more too which is why I think a massive amount of Americans are in a lot of debt.

Cars are a lot cheaper though, :)

-insert signature here
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

AE86 wrote:
Samouth wrote:Thanks Sailorman for posting those beautiful pictures. I am keen to touch and play with snow one day. Touching and seeing snow is one of the thing in my bucket list. :(
Just make sure the snow isn't yellow before you do so. :D
Samouth wrote: i think that should not a big deal, since you can earn more money down there. I guess we pay more for gasoline in Cambodia. I am not so sure but yes for so many things here we pay almost the same price in US.
The average American car though gets 10 km per litre (mine gets 4-5 km per litre) and the average American drives over 60 km every day. I personally spend an average of about $150-200 a month on fuel now, but before when petrol was expensive, I was well over $400 a month. Then car insurance is $150 a month, oil changes are $80 etc etc. I know you can make more, but it's very easy to spend more too which is why I think a massive amount of Americans are in a lot of debt.

Cars are a lot cheaper though, :)

That SUV is 80 grand! Wow. No way
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

so what will happen when the snow becomes yellow ?

You are right, in Cambodia we pay more for car, but many Cambodians can afford it for some reasons and in many ways. :facepalm:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic