Would you still recommend traveling to Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Would you still recommend traveling to Cambodia

Post by WildA »

j57 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:32 am Perfect time to come and enjoy Siem Reap.
have a wonderful time..
Don't listen to these clods.
yeah dude, its cool at night, only moderately crowded, burning isnt too bad, not a lot of Skeeters. You are doing a lot of traveling so you need extra vigilence, buy little mini spray bottles and fill them with alcohol, spray the shit out of everything and LET IT DRY, wash your hands, wash your hands, I alwys rim my nose with Thai Pim-Saen Inhaler or Green Oil, bathe often, get your own room, wash your hands. No need for masks.

I am still acclimating here from Bangkok and as usual, I got me a dose of the squeegers, like I do every time I begin a new portion of my existence. That being said ,I dehydrated really badly and it took me two days to get my water balance back.

The only point about that is to remind folks that an essential part of ones travel kit are packets of Pediatric Electrolyte. You can buy them in the West for peanuts and put them everywhere in your kit, mix it with a 1/2 liter of water and repeat. Some folks use adult electrolyte, I prefer the Ped but couldnt tell you why.

Have a great trip.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

if you can get there other than flying on a plane with Chinese passengers,
Yes
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

I have an important meeting and demonstration of products in Phnom Penh tomorrow, meeting was confirmed since early last week.

Looking at the confidence Cambodia has in China with wide open border control (or insignificant and insufficient control) my Thai boss had put a stop to my travelling plan.

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

yong wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:37 am I have an important meeting and demonstration of products in Phnom Penh tomorrow, meeting was confirmed since early last week.

Looking at the confidence Cambodia has in China with wide open border control (or insignificant and insufficient control) my Thai boss had put a stop to my travelling plan.

In one way that is a pity, we could have met up for that Indian meal. Although the place I recommend to you I have recently stopped going, this is due to some spice they have recently started to add that doesn't agree with me. But there are many more in town.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

From a credible looking review of insurance issues

A little over half of insurers cover medical expenses resulting from a pandemic, but less than half cover cancellation expenses
If you buy travel insurance after a pandemic such as the novel coronavirus becomes a known event, you won't be covered regardless

Does travel insurance cover a pandemic?
Many but not all travel insurers cover pandemics, as long as you bought the policy before it became a 'known event'. Cover will vary between policies.

Medical expenses
About half the policies in our international travel insurance review cover medical expenses in a pandemic. But you're more likely to need cover for cancellation expenses, for example if the government changes the travel warning to 'Do not travel', like they have with China amid the novel coronavirus epidemic.

Cancellation costs
In our review, less than half the travel insurers cover cancellation as a result of pandemic or epidemic, so make sure you check.

Known events
Insurance is intended to protect you against the unknown, so once an event becomes known, it's generally too late to buy insurance to cover you for that specific event.

When, exactly, an event becomes 'known' is a grey area, but generally it's when it's publicised in the media or on official government websites. Insurers' definitions can vary so check with your insurer on when they cut off cover for a specific event.

australian passport
Looking for travel insurance - single trip?
We've tested to find you the best.

See travel insurance - single trip review
Will travel insurance cover the novel coronavirus?
A good travel insurance policy will cover you if you bought it before the pandemic became a 'known event'. Insurers cut off cover for claims resulting from novel coronavirus from around 21 January 2020 for travel to China and 31 January for travel worldwide.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:13 amIn one way that is a pity, we could have met up for that Indian meal. Although the place I recommend to you I have recently stopped going, this is due to some spice they have recently started to add that doesn't agree with me. But there are many more in town.
Will come immediately when the dust settles.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

First trip? Most likely to get the squitz. Bring some Imodium tablets.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

WildA wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:55 am ... an essential part of ones travel kit are packets of Pediatric Electrolyte. You can buy them in the West for peanuts and put them everywhere in your kit, mix it with a 1/2 liter of water and repeat.

Have a great trip.
The standard rehydration formula in Cambodia is Royal D, a powder.
Cheap as chips - not sure how it stacks up against other products, but I drink it by the gallon at times.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Wuhan is 2194 kilometers from Siam Reap. Cambodia has less confirmed cases than the US, UK, and many other countries. Get a grip.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

OP, if you’d go to Cambodia with asthma same month last year, there is no reason not to go this year.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic