Rumors of Coronavirus Denied After Yemeni Man Faints at Phnom Penh Airport

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Rumors of Coronavirus Denied After Yemeni Man Faints at Phnom Penh Airport

Post by Alex »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:36 pm
ristoa wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:33 am
Shouldn't it be your responsibility to instruct your kids on hygiene? Or am I missing something?
Yes...
You’re missing something.
Seriously though, that's something that kids should already know before their first day at school.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Alex wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:26 pm
Shouldn't it be your responsibility to instruct your kids on hygiene? Or am I missing something?
Yes...
Seriously though, that's something that kids should already know before their first day at school.
True...altho in this current environment being a bit more fastidious about hand washing would be good I think.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Alex wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:26 pm
Yes...
The problem is, they don't. Have you ever seen anyone wash their hands here? And I mean with soap
There's a big gap between "should know" and "do know"
up to you...
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Clemen wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:26 pm Have you ever seen anyone wash their hands here? And I mean with soap.
Yes, every day in the large bathrooms in work I see local men washing their hands. I also see this in restaurants, hotels, the airport etc. I have worked in buildings with smaller bathrooms where the sink and toilet are in the same room, and often had to wait ridiculous amounts of time for locals to finish washing. So I'm not sure why you have not noticed. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:16 pm
Clemen wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:26 pm Have you ever seen anyone wash their hands here? And I mean with soap.
Yes, every day in the large bathrooms in work I see local men washing their hands. I also see this in restaurants, hotels, the airport etc. I have worked in buildings with smaller bathrooms where the sink and toilet are in the same room, and often had to wait ridiculous amounts of time for locals to finish washing. So I'm not sure why you have not noticed. :?
To be fair, in my last gig over 50% would march right out, whether they had used the toilet or the urinial.

The number of them that washed did increase after I shouted at a number of the dirty fucks.

We had signs instructing on handwash techniques and all.

Luckily it wasn't a catering or hospitality based business!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

In an earlier post reply, there was a photo of a group of kids clustered around a water pipe, washing their hands and looking confused.

1 child in a class of ten doing it badly, with teacher guidance of the entire group about basic hygiene REINFORCES knowledge.

Whether our children are home taught in this is irrelevant. There is a HIGH chance that some kids have little comprehension. Teaching as a group helps to get the message across.

If there is going to be a hysterical handing out of masks to combat the transmission of the bug, then there should be some overall basic ‘refreshers’ about why these things (basic hygiene) are important.

But... We’ll done to everyone who managed Not to comprehend much of this.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

"Doctors and nurses at a major Sydney hospital failed to properly wash their hands when no one was watching, risking patients' lives, a new study found.

Researchers from University of NSW found the staff's hand-washing compliance rate dropped from 94 per cent to 30 per cent when human auditors stopped monitoring their behaviour and automated surveillance kicked in."

The report noted that this study of one hospital did not automatically apply across the whole health sector - but it was broadly in line with similar studies in Oz and overseas.

Surgeons were the worst, then doctors, then nurses.
Puke. 7000 people die of hospital acquired infections in Oz every year. Probably similar rates across all hospitals in the West.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:47 pm "Doctors and nurses at a major Sydney hospital failed to properly wash their hands when no one was watching, risking patients' lives, a new study found.

Researchers from University of NSW found the staff's hand-washing compliance rate dropped from 94 per cent to 30 per cent when human auditors stopped monitoring their behaviour and automated surveillance kicked in."

The report noted that this study of one hospital did not automatically apply across the whole health sector - but it was broadly in line with similar studies in Oz and overseas.

Surgeons were the worst, then doctors, then nurses.
Puke. 7000 people die of hospital acquired infections in Oz every year. Probably similar rates across all hospitals in the West.
Yes, but was this before or after the Coronavirus came along? If before, I can't help but think they would be more vigilant now..
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

They probably have improved while the issue is heightened at present.
But this has been an issue for decades.
Once again, i use Australia just as an example, it is the same story everywhere apparently.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic