Do expat Cambodian women have a responsibility to be role models for women in Cambodia ?

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Confused
Expatriate
Great Britain

Do expat Cambodian women have a responsibility to be role models for women in Cambodia ?

Post by Confused »

I recently saw a video on LinkedIn of an Australian news reader.

She was of Aisan descent and I thought very likely Cambodian.

She seemed like a very nice woman, and had obviously done extremely well in life.

I commented on the video (where I think she was chatting away about life in America where she'd recently moved), and I commented saying what a pleasure it was to see a woman of south east Asian descent doing so well in life, and so happy. I didn't get a response to the comment.

A couple of weeks later I saw another video of hers (a mutual connection who was a friend of hers was commenting on her videos which is why I came to notice them), in which she was saying what a shame it was that racists would comment on her Asian descent, when in fact she wasn't Asian, she was Australian.

I commented saying that whilst I respected her right to self-identify, I thought it was a shame that she couldn't embrace both her Australianness and her Cambodian/Asian heritage, and be a role model for Cambodian women who haven't had the opportunities that she has and made such brilliant use of. Although I didn't say it, I actually thought that if anyone was racist, it was someone who effectively denied their own heritage.

She deleted the comment and then blocked me.

Was I right to raise this point, or is it just up to the woman to decide whether she wants to embrace her Asian heritage or not ?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Do expat Cambodian women have a responsibility to be role models for women in Cambodia ?

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Is this Trappers final form?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Do expat Cambodian women have a responsibility to be role models for women in Cambodia ?

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Confused.

good first name
i can suggest an equally suitable middle and last too, if you want.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

Confused wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:27 am I recently saw a video on LinkedIn of an Australian news reader.

She was of Aisan descent and I thought very likely Cambodian.

She seemed like a very nice woman, and had obviously done extremely well in life.

I commented on the video (where I think she was chatting away about life in America where she'd recently moved), and I commented saying what a pleasure it was to see a woman of south east Asian descent doing so well in life, and so happy. I didn't get a response to the comment.

A couple of weeks later I saw another video of hers (a mutual connection who was a friend of hers was commenting on her videos which is why I came to notice them), in which she was saying what a shame it was that racists would comment on her Asian descent, when in fact she wasn't Asian, she was Australian.

I commented saying that whilst I respected her right to self-identify, I thought it was a shame that she couldn't embrace both her Australianness and her Cambodian/Asian heritage, and be a role model for Cambodian women who haven't had the opportunities that she has and made such brilliant use of. Although I didn't say it, I actually thought that if anyone was racist, it was someone who effectively denied their own heritage.

She deleted the comment and then blocked me.

Was I right to raise this point, or is it just up to the woman to decide whether she wants to embrace her Asian heritage or not ?
No, you were wrong. If you want to be a busybody, go to America and join the Democratic party.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

delete/edit/rewrite/start again/change my mood

' Morning everybody, 'beautiful day.
Last edited by SternAAlbifrons on Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Confused
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Confused »

So 4 comments and I've been accused of being a Democrat and a Trumpist.

Do you see why I'm confused ?

Edit: I see that the trump reference has been removed.

Still, Confused.
Last edited by Confused on Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

I like most yanks, judge people on their passports, not on their skin color or facial features.

And my very humble opinion, normal folks don't comment on videos or anyting come from someone they don't know
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Can't be Trapper, English is too good. But just as annoying.
BigDee
Expatriate
Australia

Post by BigDee »

continuing to pump up the post count I see :good:
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Men just love telling women what they should do.

You have no idea what she’s been through so just mind your own business.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic