Do expat Cambodian women have a responsibility to be role models for women in Cambodia ?

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Do expat Cambodian women have a responsibility to be role models for women in Cambodia ?

Post by WildA »

hunter8 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:28 pm
WildA wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:59 am WTF gives you the right to go to a perfect stranger and tell them what you think is best for them to do with her "heritage"?
Some nations think they have a divine right to dictate to other nations how those should run their countries, what is best for them, etc. Why should individuals be different?
Because their is no concept of rudeness among nation's. There are only winners, the friends of the winners and losers.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Do expat Cambodian women have a responsibility to be role models for women in Cambodia ?

Post by hunter8 »

WildA wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:54 pm
WildA wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:59 am WTF gives you the right to go to a perfect stranger and tell them what you think is best for them to do with her "heritage"?
Some nations think they have a divine right to dictate to other nations how those should run their countries, what is best for them, etc. Why should individuals be different?
Because their is no concept of rudeness among nation's. There are only winners, the friends of the winners and losers.
There is a concept of humiliated national pride.
Individuals follow example of countries and say and sometimes do whatever they please.
Confused
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Confused »

Kind of. But I wasn't suggesting she should dictate to anyone. I was suggesting that she could be seen as someone to inspire young Cambodian women to aspire to more than they might otherwise do. To give them hope. The woman didn't want to know, so far as she was concerned she was Australian and that's it and Cambodia can go screw itself for all she cares.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Confused wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:15 pm Kind of. But I wasn't suggesting she should dictate to anyone. I was suggesting that she could be seen as someone to inspire young Cambodian women to aspire to more than they might otherwise do. To give them hope. The woman didn't want to know, so far as she was concerned she was Australian and that's it and Cambodia can go screw itself for all she cares.
Yeah, she doesn’t identify herself with Cambodia. It’s her right. Your topic got me thinking on another subject though.

What is worse? A western femi... liberated woman or a liberated woman of asian origin? I believe having a “yellow fever“ in that case for this asian lady would be impossible because it is the traditional character of asian women that is attractive to western men. If those traditional traits are gone in a liberated woman, what is left? Boobs are a rare case there.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

hunter8 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:08 pm
WildA wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:54 pm
There is a concept of humiliated national pride.
Individuals follow example of countries and say and sometimes do whatever they please.
I'm a Yank and have no idea of what humiliated national pride is. That being said, busy Bodies, Church ladies, know-it-alls, finger pointers, holier than thous, scolds and other assorted annoyances are universal among nations.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

WildA wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:41 pm busy Bodies, Church ladies, know-it-alls, finger pointers, holier than thous, scolds and other assorted annoyances are universal among nations.
It can be argued that in asian, especially buddhist countries, it is a much less acceptable behavior to tell others what you think of their actions or tell them what they should do. On an individual and international levels.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

hunter8 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:52 pm
WildA wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:41 pm busy Bodies, Church ladies, know-it-alls, finger pointers, holier than thous, scolds and other assorted annoyances are universal among nations.
It can be argued that in asian, especially buddhist countries, it is a much less acceptable behavior to tell others what you think of their actions or tell them what they should do. On an individual and international levels.
Dude are you bored? Do you argue for the sake of arguing? :facepalm:
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

WildA wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:58 pm
I am not arguing anything.
You asked OP who gave him the right. Well, rights are not given, rights are taken. Usually who is the strongest has the right. So your question to him is pointless. Nobody gives the right. Someone, nation or person, feels they are strong enough to say or do something, they say and do that if it doesn’t hurt them too much. There is no rights distribution point that you go to get your share of rights lol.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

Confused wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:56 pm

Agree with that. You could hear Khmer in her accent a little bit, but yes perfectly possible ( and I expressly acknowledged in my comment to her that she was Australian). That wouldn't have stopped her though from having the ability to provide a source of encouragement or whatever for young Khmer women. I agree that it's up to her, I just think it's a shame that she wanted to turn her back on the country her family were from, when taking a different approach could have potentially been so valuable to others. That's all it was. I also think that being from Cambodia should be something to be proud of, which to this women it didn't seem to be. She just didn't want to know.
you went from the OP that you thought she might be Khmer or of some Se Asian descent to you could hear a Khmer accent. WTF, didn't you say she's Australian? how did you become a dialog expert, credentials? no wonder so many have problems with you IRL. you should take a step back and wake up. yes, everyone is a little f'd up. nobody's perfect, but you have some issues going on.

Between you and the OP I can't handle this site lately. As far as I know, Trump himself is posting on CEO as WildA.
Still here, in country...
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

Ravensnest wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:13 pm
Confused wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:56 pm

Agree with that. You could hear Khmer in her accent a little bit, but yes perfectly possible ( and I expressly acknowledged in my comment to her that she was Australian). That wouldn't have stopped her though from having the ability to provide a source of encouragement or whatever for young Khmer women. I agree that it's up to her, I just think it's a shame that she wanted to turn her back on the country her family were from, when taking a different approach could have potentially been so valuable to others. That's all it was. I also think that being from Cambodia should be something to be proud of, which to this women it didn't seem to be. She just didn't want to know.
you went from the OP that you thought she might be Khmer or of some Se Asian descent to you could hear a Khmer accent. WTF, didn't you say she's Australian? how did you become a dialog expert, credentials? no wonder so many have problems with you IRL. you should take a step back and wake up. yes, everyone is a little f'd up. nobody's perfect, but you have some issues going on.

Between you and the OP I can't handle this site lately. As far as I know, Trump himself is posting on CEO as WildA.
well that's kind of childish considering there's an ignore button, just use it, as I am going to do on you.....proof, you are gone.

Life is too short for cluttered bandwidth. Spew away, have a great day.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic