Do expat Cambodian women have a responsibility to be role models for women in Cambodia ?

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Do expat Cambodian women have a responsibility to be role models for women in Cambodia ?

Post by John Bingham »

Confused wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:27 am I commented saying what a pleasure it was to see a woman of south east Asian descent doing so well in life, and so happy. I didn't get a response to the comment.
So you're basically saying that SE Asian women don't usually do well and you're surprised that one could. Stereotyping and objectifying.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Do expat Cambodian women have a responsibility to be role models for women in Cambodia ?

Post by Brody »

hanno wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:24 am Can't be Trapper, English is too good. But just as annoying.
I'm getting a whiff of CamNivag
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

John Bingham wrote:
Confused wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:27 am I commented saying what a pleasure it was to see a woman of south east Asian descent doing so well in life, and so happy. I didn't get a response to the comment.
So you're basically saying that SE Asian women don't usually do well and you're surprised that one could. Stereotyping and objectifying.
Thank you for saying this. If I say it, it holds very little weight because I’d just be labeled a man-hating feminazi (as I have been many times on CEO by various posters).

So thank you.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:20 am Stereotyping and objectifying.
John Bingham wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:20 pm Koreans are an ugly looking bunch.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Can't Cambodian women be considered successful as wives and mothers in their village , or do they have to be westernised to be considered successful, I don't think so
The lady your referring to is a successful as a westerner not a a Cambodian
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Confused
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Confused »

How about one person says one nice or constructive thing instead of all competing for the prize of most imaginative way of saying the new guy is a c*** ?

I was trying to do some good by convincing the lady that she could inspire Cambodian women into having a successful happy life, and I was genuinely saddened by the fact that she wanted nothing to do with her heritage before she/her family was Austrlian. I respect that that's her choice but personally I thought it was a shame and a lost opportunity.

im not saying that there aren't happy and successful Cambodian women, there clearly are, but if you think this woman who was clearly very very happy in life and very successful does not have things better than many women in Cambodia do then you need to get some new glasses/hearing aids.
Confused
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Confused »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:20 am
bullshit. you dont think being a woman in Cambodia is a struggle ? you've actually been there right ?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I know Cambodian women from all walks of life. You don't, you only know sex workers, ones who have struggled to get away from you. The last thing any successful woman needs is a patronizing foreigner telling them what they should or shouldn't do. Especially one who is far from being any sort of role model themselves.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

Confused wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:08 am How about one person says one nice or constructive thing instead of all competing for the prize of most imaginative way of saying the new guy is a c*** ?

I was trying to do some good by convincing the lady that she could inspire Cambodian women into having a successful happy life, and I was genuinely saddened by the fact that she wanted nothing to do with her heritage before she/her family was Austrlian. I respect that that's her choice but personally I thought it was a shame and a lost opportunity.

im not saying that there aren't happy and successful Cambodian women, there clearly are, but if you think this woman who was clearly very very happy in life and very successful does not have things better than many women in Cambodia do then you need to get some new glasses/hearing aids.
Dude what are you, the Pontiff of the Supreme Church of Annoyances? WTF gives you the right to go to a perfect stranger and tell them what you think is best for them to do with her "heritage"? And then bitch here because folks dont think its cool, then turn shit into a trolling session?

Her heritage is what she decides it to be, and as far as the good old USA is concerned, you gets your papers, you are an American. Bet its the same in OZ. Are you one of those dudes who teaches Ethnostudies 101 at some two bit schools, and not only reads the Guardian, but beleives it?

Too much race and hertigage posturing, not enough engineering classes, pizza and weed.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

For all you know she was born in Australia and has never been to Asia, you can’t assume things about people.

Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic