Wearing your heart on your face

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Wearing your heart on your face

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Lim Sonalis
January 31, 2020

“Tattoos are only what I wear on the outside, it is not a reflection of my inside. My tattoos don’t hurt me nor you, it is just a matter of personal style.

Being in Cambodia where the culture is more conservative than the West, rarely will your mum compliment a tattoo on your arm, for instance. It is mostly viewed as the symbol of gang activity, lack of education or those who stay close to drugs.

The two stripes on his nose are inspired by his dad’s birthmark which 4T5 loves to joke about, “Dad, you try hard with that one stripe across your nose, so I’ll try twice as hard with two stripes.”

The 23-year-old said the tattoo under his right eye is his most favourite – it reads “loser” but the letter s is crossed and replaced with the letter v, making out a new spelling of “lover”.

Athika, founder of CG movement, who also produces rap music, stated that his face tattoos can present him as an independent, cold-hearted person with no regrets in life.

“Would you interview me if I don’t have a face tattoo?” Athika responded, as to explain that this art form is something which could make him appear to be unique, confident and noticeable.

full.https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50685925/w ... -your-face