Response to Corona Virus

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Response to Corona Virus

Post by AndyKK »

I would say there are some people who enjoy to give advice too people who know virtually nothing of the persons situation, nor that of medical/government and health guidelines of someone with a suspected infectious illness.

Here I have first knowledge, I self-isolated myself at home with an unfortunate infectious drug resistant virus that I managed to get from travels overseas, the self-isolation in my case lasted for a period of 6 months, with approval of medical and government.

Firstly, most replies are of self-opinion based with no facts, (possibly the same could be said of myself) and more so an attack upon someone who has himself come forward to write, as a member of the forum, informing people on the forum of his unfortunate sickness or the simple fact of being unwell, with the person giving factual accounts of their situation in the worry that they may have contracted the virus.
Not forgetting this could be a simple cold or the genuine feeling of being unwell, worry for himself and his family from where they had travelled recently. If traveling to and from a high-risk area or closer to the source you would think it would higher the risk factor, just as being in a confined space on an aircraft from China to one’s destination in the country of Cambodia.

The person in question, many of you say he should admit himself into hospital. Why?
Maybe it makes you feel safer with that person doing so, or is it that you are thinking genuinely of the patient’s health and wellbeing, getting the best medical care possible.
Let me ask you the same question? If you thought you had possibly the Coronavirus, personally what would your next move be as a foreigner, not being that of a national in the country you have decided to reside, and how many of you hold an insurance policy that will withhold treatment in this case?
I would stress at this point it also depends on your ethics, it could be possible that it wasn’t necessary you took the hospital bed. But lets look at a scenario, the person who was in need had no treatment and died because of your cause of unnecessary actions, or you put yourself in a situation of added infections.

We are all individuals and with our own minds and opinions on many subjects, illness is certainly a worrying factor to anyone when the medical experience maybe limited in a country you choose to visit, live or work, even more so when you have to pay for the “so called treatment”. Let’s hope someone develops a medicine or cure fast.
Have Cambodia got their guidelines in place for if you suspect contacting Coronavirus? I know what the British Government and the World Health Organisation say on this subject – Travellers from Wuhan and Hubei Province

If you have travelled from Wuhan or Hubei Province to the UK in the last 14 days you should immediately:
• stay indoors and avoid contact with other people as you would with the flu

Lets all hope the member gets the negative result and all wish him well.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Alex wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:25 am More than anything, this report is a stark reminder that it's completely irresponsible to live in a country such as Cambodia as an expat without having adequate health insurance. The OP's main concern, faced with being infected with a potentially lethal virus, seems to be having to pay for the hospital.
My health insurance has this exclusion:
claims caused by, or claims arising from, an epidemic,
pandemic or outbreak of a contagious disease or any
derivative or mutation of such viruses, or the threat or
perceived threat of any of these. Refer to who.int and
smartraveller.gov.au for further information on epidemics
and pandemics.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

BrazilBoy wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:03 pm
frizzie77 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:56 pm
BrazilBoy wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:42 pm I called in sick for tomorrow, explaining that I have symptoms of the corona virus
What a Micky fucking mouse country Cambodia is! Its mind-boggling how some on this site trash a real country like China but don't see the banana republic they are living in.
Yes, I'm quite aware of the kind of republic I'm living in here.

However, with the statement in bold above, I'm wondering who's the banana eating monkey in this republic...

You must have the brains of a worm to make a statement like that and expecting no follow-up.

BTW, have you made up your mind whether Cambodia is a Mickey Mouse-country or a banana republic?
I guess you missed the part about them barging into my apartment and filming me. Plus why would they know better than the doctors, one of whom was a real doctor being American. The doctor said to self isolate.

Also you completely ignore the whole point, which is payment. In a real country, like China or USA, quarantine is paid for out of public funds. Who pays for it here? Not me, that's for damn sure.
They must have him in the hospital, responses stopped.
I wasn't going to post on your thread and I deleleted what I typed yesterday. but your thinking is extremely selfish. I do not feel bad about what happened to you. If I was the landlord I'd cover my ass too by filming a request for you to go a hospital

If you were to get pneumonia or cancer, would you expect others to pay for your treatment? if not, how is this any different? you chose to be here knowing this is a third world country with shitty standards. You alone are responsible for your life choices. you made your bed, lay in it.
Still here, in country...
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Here is a good reason why you should not go into hospital if unwell.

Sorry if this is a bit offtrack but it's a story that happened 30 years ago and still makes me laugh. Told to me by my sister.

My late mum was in her mid 80's and very sick,,, my sister who was looking after her, told her she had to go into hospital. On hearing that , mum sat up in bed as if she had nothing wrong with her and said.,,,,,,,

No bloody way am I going into a hospital, I have been in hospital four times already and each time I came home with a baby, I ain't going nowhere except to hell.

She died a couple of weeks later in a old folks home.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Post by Jack.R. »

BrazilBoy wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:46 pm My wife and kids returned from China on January 27th and today, I have about all the symptoms of this virus. I went to CDC TK and they were testing and interviewing me and making a vdo or something. I objected and fortunately there was an American doctor there that schooled the Cambodians on confidentiality.

The American doctor wanted to send me to some Russian hospital but I would have to foot the bill so I declined. The test will be back tomorrow so I decided to self-isolate for tonight; the Cambodians were ok with that because I said I didn't want to pay for the ambulance or the room, not until I get the results. The American doctor was concerned that I would spread the virus or, since I have asthma and I'm 59, deteriorate quickly. He was trying to workout protocols for this situation but there are none. His view was that I should be forced to go to hospital and I agreed - but on the understanding that I don't pay. The Cambodian health workers said that isn't happening and its up to me.

Anyway, as a general principle, I don't think I should have to pay for treatment of a virus that is posing a global threat. I think nations should foot the bill for quarantine and not pass it on to potentially infected. This is a global epidemic and here I am walking around, potentially infected, and the Cambodian view is up to you." I have to ask all those talking shit about China, which response is better? I doubt the Chinese are charging for Corona virus quarantine and basic treatment - like some oxygen. I think China's response, and the US for that matter, is the way to go. Enforce quarantine but foot the bill.

Anyway I'm a bit nervous but the virus, according to the American doctor, is quite mild. The factors causing concern is my age and my asthma.

What about the test results?
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

Ravensnest wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:28 pm They must have him in the hospital, responses stopped.
Nah, don't think so. If that were the case it would be all over the news.

He's probably too embarrassed to make any further posts.
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Post by Jack.R. »

Alex wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:25 am More than anything, this report is a stark reminder that it's completely irresponsible to live in a country such as Cambodia as an expat without having adequate health insurance. The OP's main concern, faced with being infected with a potentially lethal virus, seems to be having to pay for the hospital.
Most insurances after SARS have a clause that they won't cover large scale epidemics or SARS and SARS like viruses.
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Post by Jack.R. »

frizzie77 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:20 pm
Ravensnest wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:28 pm They must have him in the hospital, responses stopped.
Nah, don't think so. If that were the case it would be all over the news.

He's probably too embarrassed to make any further posts.
I am seriously considering that they are trying to contain the news, hard to believe we only have one case here. Especially after the 3 Chinese that tested positive once returning to China from Cambodia few days ago.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I was actually wondering about that. I also don't see how anyone should "pay their way" in a case like this (unless it's negative). If word gets out that you get a big fat bill after being isolated for 14 days or something, it would just push people to not go to the hospital or get tested.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Post by Jack.R. »

But seriously, this guy should update the situation and tell which school he works for.
The spread can go ballistic in a week if just a few of his students got the virus.
As in children symptoms can appear in a couple of days and than it can spread like wildfire between students and families.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic