Healthcare question- would I be able to get my meds in Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
supermarbles
Tourist
Canada

Healthcare question- would I be able to get my meds in Cambodia?

Post by supermarbles »

Hi all:
I'm thinking of liviing in Cambodia for a couple of years. My question is, how is the healthcare in Cambodia, in particular, with respect to medication? I'm on an antidepressant (Lexapro) that I need to stay on when I'm here. Are fake drugs or difficulty in obtaining medication an issue in Cambodia?

Thanks,
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Re: Healthcare question- would I be able to get my meds in Cambodia?

Post by lostjeremy »

supermarbles wrote:Hi all:
I'm thinking of liviing in Cambodia for a couple of years. My question is, how is the healthcare in Cambodia, in particular, with respect to medication? I'm on an antidepressant (Lexapro) that I need to stay on when I'm here. Are fake drugs or difficulty in obtaining medication an issue in Cambodia?

Thanks,
Honestly man, if you're needing to take an antidepressant then maybe moving to Cambodia would not be the wisest decision.

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

supermarbles
Tourist
Canada

Post by supermarbles »

That may be true, but I'm not letting it stop me. :) My question remains..
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

supermarbles wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:49 pm That may be true, but I'm not letting it stop me. :) My question remains..
[/quote

That's the spirit
Soyoung123
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soyoung123 »

Yes. Pretty much any medication can be ordered. Expect to pay a premium though often times $2-3 dollars a pill
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Don't be put off traveling or relocating due to your mental health, just make sure to pay extra attention and have some good safety nets in place so you can handle the added pressure. If you can get a routine of exercise and stick at it then that's always a good way to keep the demons at the door, my understanding from some internet research is that antidepressant medication can be difficult to get however given that it's Cambodia I imagine most things are possible. DISCLAIMER - I am not a medical professional and I am not recommending anything of the following - you can either stock up and hope you can get them through customs (original packaging with your name etc) or alternatively taper off them. Whilst alprazolam (Can get otc in most pharm) isn't an antidepressant it is a good anti-anxiety medication which may help in some cases with your depression/mental health, be warned though it can be highly addictive and give you a case of the I don't give a shits.

Personally I would speak with your doctor, explore the possibilities of having no access to antidepressants and see what options they recommend, alprazolam is the default name of Xanax. You can also consult with a Cambodian based qualified mental health doctor prior to moving if you can find one via the forum(There are threads knocking about), that might be a good option so at least prior to your arrival you know you've got a medical professional that you can consult with on a face to face basis (One less thing to worry about)

Cambodia is a cool place
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

supermarbles wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:18 pm Hi all:

Thanks,
Lexapro is an ssri and there are many different types of those, many of which are available but probably not brands you would now so ask for the ingredient or ask your doctor which other ssri's would e appropriate.
Different pharmacies importfrom differetn places. most have some generic indian crap for the locals and branded european medicine for us. Typically branded western meds run around $17-$20 a pck for the more common ones like valium, antibiotics and sleeping tabs. Rarer items may be considerably more expensive. you are NOT supposed to drink with most SSRI and quite a few, including yours, have dangerous interactions with other drugs so get the full info from your doc before you do anything
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

Whe I came over to Asia in August, I brought a several months supply from the USA. I reupped in BKK at a higher price. I still need to find an inexpensive statin here as I am out. I will only buy meds in Asia that are made in Europe, Japan, USA and Thailand though.

If you need meds in Bangkok, there are two big pharmacies across from Chula Hospital on Rama IV 150 meters past the Sala Daeng/Silom stations, outbound side. Great selection and fair prices, for Thailand.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

the pharmacies I have dealt with would never sell fake drugs and are careful not to. I dont know about the availability of the one you are after tho.
MarkRobinson
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by MarkRobinson »

:oops:
Hey fellah,
This country has made hundreds of once solidly grounded ,together, Men ( & Women )into pathetic unhinged crazy nutjobs in a fee months. Men who were once sensible, educated ,balanced contributors to their communities have morphed into delusional, ,substance dependent destitute losers in a matter of several weeks here in Cambodia
Once physically & mentally strong characters with substantial finances in reserve have become homeless dishevelled freaks in an alarmingly brief period of time..
So yeah ,try your luck and migrate to Scambodia. Let's see if you can hack it and flourish here,Prove me wrong .
"The Truth ,The whole truth " & nothing but the T R U T H ,Galbelly for the Defense.🍇
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic