Is the Coronavirus Fueling Anti-Chinese Sentiment ?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Is the Coronavirus Fueling Anti-Chinese Sentiment ?

Post by Mishmash »

So many people pulling the 'race' card yet I wonder would you share a hotpot with someone from Wuhan?

Personally, I would not.

I have many Chinese friends but at the moment we all know the score, they have ceased invites because they are people who understand clearly the risks.

Thinking it's not here just because Ironman's Omniscient Glass Eye says so is pure stupidity IMO.
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

the virus is not a reason to dislike and distrust the chinese...It is just another example of why you should never trust the communist party ....
trusting the chinese is for suckers.
the party dictates the narrative.
So funny to think I took Cathay Pacific in January because they had cut their rates due to the protests.
I wanted to avoid the mainland airlines connecting me from the USA to Siem Reap.
Now, I am trying to figure out how to go back to the USA in a few months and the virus has spread to my alternate routes through Seoul and Tokyo...
Just because I grew up with a family from Hong Kong and Sammy Chang is closer to me than my brother doesn't mean I am ever going to trust a fucking word coming out of china or a trade deal.
their tactics in business are criminal.
if you all want to get down on your knees..
so be it.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Mishmash wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:39 am So many people pulling the 'race' card yet I wonder would you share a hotpot with someone from Wuhan?
Only if she's as hot as the pot.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

A bar in Ho Chi Minh City bans Chinese customers, as coronavirus concerns spark anti-Chinese racism

Chaos Lounge is not the only business in Vietnam to ban Chinese customers. A nail bar in Phu Quoc and a hotel in Danang have also posted signs banning Chinese customers, The New York Post reports. Outside of Vietnam, restaurants in South Korea, Japan, and Hong Kong have refused to allow Chinese customers to enter.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/viet ... rus-2020-2
dontbeasourlemon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by dontbeasourlemon »

I mean I wouldn't want to come in close contact with anyone that has been to an area that's been infected but that is a safety thing diseases pop up frequently in areas where humans and nature meet and collide. (Yes Often in Asia and Africa) Just because you at Chinese doesn't mean you have the disease or that you should be blamed for it.

Here is a funny video where a guy snaps back at the prejudice

https://vm.tiktok.com/b43ehX/
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Racism in Thailand Against Chinese For Coronavirus
by Richard S. Ehrlich
February 8, 2020

BANGKOK, Thailand -- When Thailand's popular, anti-government graffiti
artist Headache Stencil wrote racist rants about Chinese infected with
the coronavirus, many of his Thai and foreign fans were shocked,
outraged, and disgusted.

"Hey Chink! Please go back to ur shit-eating country. Our government
need ur money to keep their power but you all not welcome for us now.
#notwelcometothailand #backtourchinklandpls," wrote @headachestencil
on his Twitter site on January 26, which had more than 6,000
followers.

The English-language slur against Chinese is not common in Thailand,
so the artist apparently wanted foreigners to also see his post.

Headache Stencil often tweets several times a day but mostly in Thai language.

Starting in 2018, he gained wide support and pride of place in some of
Bangkok's edgy art galleries when he illustrated Bangkok's dilapidated
streets with wall graffiti showing a large clock, politicians' faces,
and other satirical imagery.

During that year, one of his graffiti targets was coup-installed
Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwon who successfully dodged a
financial scandal for possessing 25 luxury wristwatches worth an
estimated $1.24 million.

"Disturbing to see such blatant racism by an artist that used to be
respected by many liberals in Thailand," tweeted Mathias Peer, the
Bangkok-based correspondent for the German business newspaper
Handelsblatt.

"I'm afraid that the debate over the #coronavirus will increase racial
hatred against people from China. This is not acceptable!" Mr. Peer
wrote on January 26.

Headache Stencil angrily responded the same day: "Try to read how Thai
tweets now."

His broken English appeared to spotlight other Thais who were
concerned about the spread of the coronavirus and also tweeting
anti-Chinese comments in Thai language.
https://freepress.org/article/racism-th ... oronavirus
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Violent incidents and discrimination against Japanese nationals and East Asians are on the rise according to this report from Japan.

As coronavirus spreads, fear of discrimination rises
19 hours ago
Maiko Eiraku
NHK World Correspondent
The coronavirus outbreak has led to a spate of xenophobic incidents around the world. As the epidemic continues, people of East Asian origin are increasingly concerned about their safety.

On March 1, two Japanese women were walking through the Palestinian city of Ramallah. They were in the city as part of a nongovernmental aid mission. Suddenly, they were approached by two residents who started chanting "corona, corona." Sensing danger, one of the women took out her phone and pretended to start filming, in the hope this would scare them off. However, one of the residents reacted by grabbing her and pulling her hair.

Security footage of the incident went viral, triggering floods of messages condemning the attack and in support of the victims. Later that day, the person was arrested on charges of alleged assault.

The incident is just the latest in a troubling trend: as the coronavirus spreads around the world, xenophobia seems to also be growing. Last month, the United Nations human rights chief warned of the rising tide of prejudice.

"The coronavirus epidemic has set off a disturbing wave of prejudice against people of Chinese and East Asian ethnicity," UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet said at a meeting in Geneva. "I call on member states to do their utmost to combat this and other forms of discrimination."

In February, a member of a Chinese residents' association in Paris told NHK that his group was experiencing a rise in everyday discrimination.

"They're being told by their colleagues to stay away," said Sun Lay Tan. "And their children have been told not to get on elevators."

Tan called the situation very sad, saying it was as if the coronavirus had "opened Pandora's Box" on prejudice.
Sun Lay Tan, a member of a Chinese residents' association in Paris.

The discrimination has also flooded into sports. On Sunday, a group of Japanese fans was asked to leave a soccer match in the German city of Leipzig. Stewards apparently told the fans there was a chance they had been infected by the coronavirus. The host team, RB Leipzig, has since apologized, saying that asking the group to leave was "the wrong course of action."

In the US, Health Services at the University of California, Berkeley has come under fire for an Instagram post calling it "normal" to feel "fears about interacting with those who might be from Asia and guilt about these feelings." Many said the post justified xenophobia, and the school later posted an apology. "We regret any misunderstanding it may have caused and have updated the language in our materials," read a follow-up post.

Discrimination has also emerged within Asia. An elementary school in Kagawa Prefecture, Japan, received a letter in the mail saying, "Don't let children with Chinese parents go to school." The municipal government has requested police to provide security at the school.

With the coronavirus outbreak showing no sign of slowing, people of East Asian origin are worried that these recent incidents are only the beginning. It is important that local and national governments implement measures to stop this troubling rise in xenophobia.
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news ... ories/935/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Chinese students flee UK after 'maskaphobia' triggered racist attacks
17 March 2020
[excerpt]
Yinxuan Huang, a sociology research fellow at City University London, has been conducting research among Chinese Christian communities in the UK, who have been supporting Chinese students during the coronavirus crisis.

“Almost all incidents they reported were associated with ‘maskaphobia’,” said Huang, which is a fear of masks which then triggered racist attacks. “Most of the victims – some got called ‘virus’ and others got shoved – were wearing masks when attacked.

“Many Chinese students feel that the issue of the mask is the single biggest cultural shock they have ever experienced in the UK. They are now facing a dilemma and have to choose between two bad choices - insecurity (for coronavirus) and fear (for racism).”

One 24-year-old Chinese postgraduate student at the University of Manchester described an incident while out shopping in the city centre with a friend. “Both of us wore face masks. When we were crossing the road, a car passed by and slowed down as it approached us.

“At first, I thought that maybe they just want to let us go first, like most other polite and friendly drivers I met before. But instead, they rolled down the window, and sneezed at us, and then laughed away. Many of my Chinese friends have experienced similar discrimination recently, which has a very bad impact on our study abroad experience.”

A 26-year-old Chinese postgraduate student, also in Manchester, said Chinese students were now staying indoors and ordering food online rather than going shopping. “We are not only afraid of coronavirus, but the violence brought by racism is also much more scary now. I have got the feeling I am an outsider in the UK. And now I finally find we are not welcomed by British people. Diversity sounds like a joke.”

Universities in the UK have welcomed growing numbers of students from China in recent years. According to the Higher Education Statistics Agency, the number rose above 120,000 for the first time last year, up from 89,000 in 2014-15.

If you have been affected or have any information, we'd like to hear from you. You can get in touch by filling in the form below, anonymously if you wish or contact us via WhatsApp by clicking here or adding the contact +44(0)7867825056. Only the Guardian can see your contributions and one of our journalists may contact you to discuss further.
Tell us

Wang commented: “International students choose to study abroad in countries like the UK for a reason. That is, they believe that this is a place that values tolerance, equality, diversity and rule of law. The growing coronavirus-related racism is truly disturbing.

“It may well lead some to question: why should I spend tens of thousands of pounds and travel thousands miles away from home to study in a place where I could be attacked simply because of my skin colour, or because I wear a face mask?”
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... st-attacks

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Here in Vietnam, anti-foreigner sentiment has become rife.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

hanno wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:20 am Here in Vietnam, anti-foreigner sentiment has become rife.
What are the signs?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic