Australian Missionary in Cambodian Prison After Charity School Project Folds

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Australian Missionary in Cambodian Prison After Charity School Project Folds

Post by Mishmash »

Big'n wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:37 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:12 am Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
How do you make this claim?
Apply to Prince Chadwick Ngururu, Nigeria. Western Union accepted.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Australian Missionary in Cambodian Prison After Charity School Project Folds

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Duncan wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:18 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:12 am Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Big'n ,,,,, You want to win the stupid prize ?
Haha but seriously though, I think it's a fair question. I could'nt see what was meant by the post and how it relates to the OP topic? :unknown: Maybe @Jerry Atrick can elaborate?
Stiliko
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Stiliko »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:33 pm
Haha but seriously though, I think it's a fair question. I could'nt see what was meant by the post and how it relates to the OP topic? :unknown: Maybe @Jerry Atrick can elaborate?
The remark strikes me as a sneering Hitchens-like contempt. I may be wrong. Atheists hate missionaries. Let this thread go down that seam and soon will be talking about Mother Theresa, their favorite whipping saint.
she was quite pretty and looked older
she knew only what had been told her
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Stiliko wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:06 pm
The remark strikes me as a sneering Hitchens-like contempt. I may be wrong. Atheists hate missionaries. Let this thread go down that seam and soon will be talking about Mother Theresa, their favorite whipping saint.

You calling me an athiest?
Last edited by Jerry Atrick on Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

In January 2015, Chan contracted PHV Construction Co Ltd to build a school worth $2.9 million in Prek Hou Khang Koeut village in Takhmao town’s Prek Hou commune.

In February 2016, Chan – who then represented the charity His International Services (His) – halted the project due to a lack of funds.

Entered into a 2.9 mil contract with a local Bong Thom without money to see it through.

Then, reading between the lines here, was arrested while absconding to HK.

That's a stupid game to play.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

March 13 2020 - 7:34PM
Aust missionary awaits verdict in Cambodia
Luke Hunt
The fraud trial of an Australian missionary has wrapped up after a Cambodian court heard details of a complicated share structure of a company-run charity that planned to construct a multimillion-dollar school.

Chan's case, which is being closely watched by foreign charities and the business community, has also been backed by the Supreme Consultation Forum, a body that can refer difficult legal cases to Prime Minister HE for mediation.

A verdict will be delivered on April 7.
https://www.moreechampion.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=11076
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia’s Courts Under the Microscope With Australian Missionary Trial
The case is yet another test for the justice system in the Southeast Asian state.
Luke Hunt
By Luke Hunt
March 13, 2020

In a Cambodian court room in the provincial town of Tachmao, an Australian missionary is again being forced to defend himself over failed efforts by a South Korean-based charity to construct a school for 1,000 bilingual students.

His case is a test for a justice system ranked by the World Justice Project as “the worst civil justice system in the region.” It ranks second lowest in an index of 113 countries.

Chan had worked as a volunteer for a Christian charity His International Services (HIS), alongside director Jung Young-Kim from South Korea, which contracted local company PHV Construction to build the school.

But the multi-million-dollar project was abandoned in 2016 after a dispute with PHV, which soon turned nasty and the case was referred to the National Commercial Arbitration Centre (NCAC), a civil court, where Chan, his director, and charity were cleared of any wrongdoing.

That was where the matter should have ended. The NCAC was established to resolve civil matters among charities, nongovernmental organizations, companies, and individuals and bring Cambodia more into line with other ASEAN countries, particularly Singapore.

However, the provincial courts, police, and prosecutors are struggling to recognize the jurisdiction of this type of arbitration, and PHV refused to accept the decision.
Full article: https://thediplomat.com/2020/03/cambodi ... ary-trial/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Australian Missionary Acquitted of Fraud in Cambodia

04/24/2020 Cambodia (International Christian Concern) – Australian missionary Martin Chan, who was arrested last November while boarding a flight to Hong Kong, has been cleared of criminal fraud on April 21 amid a bitter legal dispute over the construction of a bilingual school.

Due to repeated delays in his case, Chan was not in court when the verdict was announced by a Cambodian appeals court judge, dismissing charges of criminal fraud brought against him. After his lawyer informed he that he was found not guilty, the 49-year-old missionary said, “It is a relief.”
https://www.persecution.org/2020/04/24/ ... -cambodia/ (Missionary site)

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic