How much water do you go through?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

How much water do you go through?

Post by Electric Earth »

I've recently moved to Cambodia(Siem Reap) and am doing the standard blue jugs for water that my apartment offers. They mentioned to grab one or two and pay at the end of the month with my rent. Well, it's been about a week and we've already gone through 1 1/2 jugs. So at this rate, it'll be more like six jugs/month, not one or two.

Is this a lot? How much water do you go through?
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: How much water do you go through?

Post by xandreu »

Two of us probably use one every ten days or so. We use it solely for drinking. For anything else, tap water is perfectly fine, including cooking.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

we,( two of us) go thru 1 1/2 20 lt bottles/week average. Only use for drinking and coffee, not cooking with or washing vegetables.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

I think the average person 'should' drink about 2 liters of water per day to stay nicely hydrated. For here in Cambodia/tropics, i think 3 liters of water per day is a safe bet to stay healthily hydrated :thumb:
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

I drink tap water - have done for years. It's up there among the best.

However - i find beer is almost as cheap and far more satisfying.

Fairly sure mine and the boys bloodstreams are too poisonous for hostile viruses and bacteria.

Beer has always been the way forward in areas of dodgy water supply.

The Old English Laws ensured an adequate ration to overcome this problem back in the days.

And now with UK bleached water with Fluoride it's more than ever essential to cleanse with beer.

Perhaps those people contaminating our water with IQ reducing dumbing down conspiracy theory stuff are not to be trusted.

But then again maybe old Mish's excuse to his missus for extra cans is just made up!
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Captain Bonez wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:51 pm I think the average person 'should' drink about 2 liters of water per day to stay nicely hydrated. For here in Cambodia/tropics, i think 3 liters of water per day is a safe bet to stay healthily hydrated :thumb:
Today's health tip, brought to you by your friendly neighborhood stoner.

Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

Brody wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:55 pm
Captain Bonez wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:51 pm I think the average person 'should' drink about 2 liters of water per day to stay nicely hydrated. For here in Cambodia/tropics, i think 3 liters of water per day is a safe bet to stay healthily hydrated :thumb:
Today's health tip, brought to you by your friendly neighborhood stoner.

I know my water, bruv

If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

This is a commonly held falsehood. Your piss is the best indicator of how much water you should be drinking, it should be straw coloured. If you drink too much water it will kill you quicker than not enough. There are no fixed amounts as it is entire dependent on environmental circumstances.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

cptrelentless wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:49 pm
This is a commonly held falsehood. Your piss is the best indicator of how much water you should be drinking, it should be straw coloured. If you drink too much water it will kill you quicker than not enough. There are no fixed amounts as it is entire dependent on environmental circumstances.
Actually, your thirst is the best indicator of when and how much water to drink. This 'if you're thirsty you're already dehydrated' line that people like to bandy about might be true, but it's said as if your health is somehow at risk if you allow yourself to feel thirsty. It's perfectly natural to feel thirsty, and so long as you drink as soon as you can after feeling thirsty, it doesn't cause any health issues whatsoever.

The same goes for this idea that you must drink a certain amount of water per day to stay hydrated or healthy. This all stems from scientists who are on the bankroll of drinks companies to peddle rubbish like that. There has never been a fully independent scientific study which shows that unless you drink 2 litres of water a day (or 8 glasses - each country seems to have its own criteria), your health is at risk. Again, the best test of whether you should drink or not is the same test that has been used for millions of years, way before marketing was ever a thing, and that's to simply ask yourself if you feel thirsty. Other animals don't drink unless they're thirsty. Why should we?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

having had kidney stones once,
I always drink plenty of water an watch the color of my pee
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic