Fatal Accident When 8Yo Boy Plays with Firecrackers

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Fatal Accident When 8Yo Boy Plays with Firecrackers

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Kandal): On January 25, 2020, at 10:15 am, a tragic accident occurred when an 8-year-old boy, Panna Daro, died in firecracker explosion, at a house of a woman named, Hou Thavy, in Saang district, Kandal.
Earlier that morning, the victim's father had dropped the boy off to play at his aunt's house. The aunt said that at about 10:15am, she heard a loud explosion, and found the boy lying on the ground. She rushed him to the hospital, but despite emergency treatment the boy passed away.
Police went to the scene of the accident, where a 5-year-old kid from the neighbors' told them that his friend had gone to the shop to buy the firecrackers to make a big boom in a empty gasoline drum.
The body was returned to the family for funeral preparation. RIP.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Fatal Accident When 8Yo Boy Plays with Firecrackers

Post by Ravensnest »

damn lack of education. rip kid. anyone else think it wasn't empty?
Still here, in country...
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Oh man. Firecrackers and gasoline make such a bad combination. I know that Cambodian kids are very self-reliant and are often left unsupervised, but this makes me angry. The kid was only 8. Where are the adults ?
The shopkeeper: "Sure little kid, of course I'll sell you firecrackers to play with."
The aunty: "Nephew, go play in the yard next to those gasoline drums. "
:please:
RIP. So sad and unnecessary.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Last week in my village an 8 year old died. Didn't make the news. An electric cable was hinging from the roof, powered, without any circuitbraker installed. The kid played with it, and died as a result.

So sad, so unnecessary, and because it doesn't get reported it will happen again, and again, and again....
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Ravensnest wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:05 am damn lack of education. rip kid. anyone else think it wasn't empty?
Even if empty of liquid gasoline, it was surely full of gasoline vapors. Combined with oxygen in the air and the sparks from a firecracker and BOOM!
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

It's probably just me, but I'm having trouble working out what could have happened. The oil drum looks normal in the first pic, and in the second two photo's, it does look as if there was an explosion inside of it due to the bulge, but it still looks intact and no sign of fire. The boy clearly put the fire cracker inside which made it explode, but unless the bottom of the barrel separated from the main body during the explosion and hit the boy (which we can't see in the pictures) I can't work what would have caused the boy's death?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

The Chinese are pretty good at blowing themselves up, among many other things...

ImageImage
ImageImage
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

xandreu wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:52 pm It's probably just me, but I'm having trouble working out what could have happened. The oil drum looks normal in the first pic, and in the second two photo's, it does look as if there was an explosion inside of it due to the bulge, but it still looks intact and no sign of fire. The boy clearly put the fire cracker inside which made it explode, but unless the bottom of the barrel separated from the main body during the explosion and hit the boy (which we can't see in the pictures) I can't work what would have caused the boy's death?

The top of the drum is shown in the pic,,,, but is the bottom of the drum still there ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Duncan wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:23 pm
xandreu wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:52 pm It's probably just me, but I'm having trouble working out what could have happened. The oil drum looks normal in the first pic, and in the second two photo's, it does look as if there was an explosion inside of it due to the bulge, but it still looks intact and no sign of fire. The boy clearly put the fire cracker inside which made it explode, but unless the bottom of the barrel separated from the main body during the explosion and hit the boy (which we can't see in the pictures) I can't work what would have caused the boy's death?

The top of the drum is shown in the pic,,,, but is the bottom of the drum still there ?
There are only photos of the boy once he is dead, so we are not showing them because they don't add any information as to why and how the accident occurred.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:43 pm
Duncan wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:23 pm

There are only photos of the boy once he is dead, so we are not showing them because they don't add any information as to why and how the accident occurred.
Thanks for the added photo. I see what happened now. Very sad story. In other countries, someone would be up in front of a judge answering charges of, at least, child neglect. This was clearly so preventable.

RIP to the poor little guy.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic