Advice to a gardening newbie - caterpillars ?

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
velvet_thunder
Expatriate

Advice to a gardening newbie - caterpillars ?

Post by velvet_thunder »

Hello the community,

I gave it a try and went to buy some plants for my balcony. I really do not have green fingers, and surprisingly, everything is still alive after a few weeks.
However, some white stuffs are developing on my lemon tree and aloevera. I was not able to see any (moving) living beings but it appears that something managed to take some bites on the leaves on one of my plants (not sure what kind it is, but it is my favourite, being the only survivor of my previous attempt)

Hopefully someone might be able to give me some advice on how to treat this ! I am concerned since i really rely on those lemons, there are the cornerstone of my 2020 resolution, aka a healthier lifestyle ;)

Thanks in advance !

Here are the pictures :
ImageImageImageImage
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Advice to a gardening newbie - caterpillars ?

Post by Duncan »

velvet_thunder wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:15 pm Hello the community,

I gave it a try and went to buy some plants for my balcony. I really do not have green fingers, and surprisingly, everything is still alive after a few weeks.
However, some white stuffs are developing on my lemon tree and aloevera. I was not able to see any (moving) living beings but it appears that something managed to take some bites on the leaves on one of my plants (not sure what kind it is, but it is my favourite, being the only survivor of my previous attempt)

Hopefully someone might be able to give me some advice on how to treat this ! I am concerned since i really rely on those lemons, there are the cornerstone of my 2020 resolution, aka a healthier lifestyle ;)

Thanks in advance !

Here are the pictures :
ImageImageImageImage

Mealy bugs

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/ ... fr=yfp-t-s
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
velvet_thunder
Expatriate

Post by velvet_thunder »

Thanks Duncan.
Yes it definitely looks like that, and there is ants around too so that confirms it
michael.stewart1
Expatriate
Russia

Post by michael.stewart1 »

velvet_thunder wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:15 pm Hello the community,

Thanks in advance !

Here are the pictures :
ImageImageImageImage
the white fuzzy stuff looks like mold. Is it out in the sun. I hope you are not overwatering it as aloe plants like somewhat dry soil. One suggestion if I might make is if you use a grill to put the ash into a bottle and add water. Let it sit until the sediment sinks to the bottom and pour out the liquid into a bowl and let it sit until it has evaporated. You should be left with small crystals with little x's in the center. I would then add enough water to dilute it and give it to your aloe plants. My ex brought be an aloe plant that was full of brown spots and after I gave it this solution the plant grew bigger and faster than the debt I accrued while dating my ex khmer GF.
chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by chiltern »

For mealy bug control make a solution of 50% isopropyl alcohol 49% water and 1% washing up liquid and spray the plant.
For yellowing leaves on lemon trees water in epsom salts without disturbing the roots
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic