In praise of Southeast Asia's old railways

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

In praise of Southeast Asia's old railways

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

An old stream train makes a rare departute from Hua Lamphong Station in Bangkok. (Photo by David Sutton)

DAVID SUTTON
JANUARY 15, 2020

As high speed rail projects proliferate new uses must be found for older lines

Railways are in my DNA. My father was an avid train spotter, and both my grandfather and my elder brother built miniature steam locomotives to haul children around public parks. In my youth I volunteered to restore old stations for one of England's many preserved railways.

Four times a year, I visit this station to watch the departure of a train hauled by two beautifully preserved Japanese-built steam locomotives. At 8 a.m. the whistle blows and steam billows from the engines as the train begins its run. A bright orange phuang malai (flower garland) hangs on the front, and 10 spotless burgundy-and-cream coaches are lined up behind

Hua Lamphong is one of Southeast Asia's last remaining grand old railway stations, and it breaks my heart to know it is scheduled for a drastic change in 2021. Except for one route, all services will be moved to a new transport hub at Bang Sue, which will also be the Bangkok terminal for a new high-speed rail network. Hua Lamphong will be turned into a museum.

These trains will run on standard-gauge track -- wider than the 1,000 mm track for existing railways in much of Southeast Asia -- which means the new trains will not be able to run on older lines. Some of the existing networks will continue, but others are likely to close or become underutilized. So this is a good time to talk about earmarking some of the old networks for preservation.

full.https://asia.nikkei.com/Editor-s-Picks/ ... d-railways
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: In praise of Southeast Asia's old railways

Post by Duncan »

Wow , the sound of a steam train and the whistle blasting still makes my heart beat faster. At the age of 10 I could hear the steam train and whistle blow even though we lived on a hilltop 15 miles away from the nearest track.
Only one thing more exciting for a kid than riding in a steam train and that was to stand on the side of a railway line and watch as the train approached,,, getting louder and louder and the driver blowing the train whistle to warn us kids to get off the tracks.
All that power and noise when you are soooo close,, is something you will never forget.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
hiway5
Expatriate
Spain

Post by hiway5 »

The steam train still runs from Bangkok. Next trip is March 26.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

The trouble with narrow guage is its too slow and can't take the capacity.
Can njust imagine Amazon prime - 5 month delivery
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic