Phnom Penh most expensive city in the world to rent a car.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Phnom Penh most expensive city in the world to rent a car.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Anna Papadopulous
21 Jan 2020

Montenegro’s capital Podgorica is the cheapest city in the world for car hire, at $40.85 to rent a mid-size vehicle for a week. Serbia’s capital city Belgrade and the Croatian capital Zagreb follow in second and third costing $56.66 and $73.91 for a week’s driving.

By contrast, Phnom Penh in Cambodia is the world’s most expensive city for car hire, at $1,192.96 to rent a mid-size vehicle for a week. Accra in Ghana and Benin’s Porto-Novo follow in second and third costing $1,190.94 and $1,123.35 for a week’s driving.

To assemble and rank this list of the cheapest (and most expensive) cities to rent a car in 2020, CEOWORLD magazine consulted numerous roundups from a wide range of online publications, including car hire companies Avis, Sixt, and Hertz, as well as numerous city-specific car rental companies. We searched for mid-size cars to hire from March 1, 2020 – March 8, 2020, for a driver aged between 30 and 70. Based on a consensus from these sources, the final choice of cities was judged editorially, as was their position on the list.

full. https://ceoworld.biz/2020/01/21/the-che ... r-in-2020/
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: Phnom Penh most expensive city to rent a car.

Post by Phnom Poon »

lol
i see plenty of local ads for 600/month lexi
this survey only shows dealers level of ambition and leeway
when some foreigner emails randomly for a quote

monstra mihi bona!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Phnom Penh most expensive city in the world to rent a car.

Post by Freightdog »

Audi A4, albeit older 2006, generally $65per day from Europcar. They’re a bit well worn, though. Not surprising when you see the level of driver and maintenance care involved.
Other offerings with newer machines between $50 and $95?

Cambodia must be difficult to gauge, though. I have had rental quotes from many of those bigger groups, but when it came to make a booking- ‘this is not available at your chosen location’ kind of message pops up. Typical automatic, generic type booking system divorced from reality.

The online ads for numerous Lexus may seem to imply plentiful supply, but the vendor (perpetrator) has actually swamped the system with ads- same guy/guys answering several variations of the same telephone numbers. Sorry, no have. All book.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Or maybe they just don't like the rasp in your voice, the look on your mug, the cut of your clothes, or the way you hang your hat? F-Dog.
'Ever think of that...??
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

This would explain why it is too expensive to hire a rubbish truck and driver for one night to pick up the rubbish in our street .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I checked. It's true. $40 odd for a week! I am thinking of a Balkans trip in 2021....

Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

On the other side, it's possible to rent the city to enjoy the most expensive car in the world.

As seen on other thread
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:37 am Or maybe they just don't like the rasp in your voice,
Too many Cubans. Anyway, it didn’t hurt Lee Marvin.
the look on your mug
It’s hardly my fault. Have some sympathy. I borrowed it from my dad and he’s no longer here to give it back
the cut of your clothes
Possibly. I could be dressed in Saville row and still look Steptoe and son
or the way you hang your hat? F-Dog.
It’s not actually my hat, either, and mostly it’s the ornament it’s perched upon that’s to blame.
'Ever think of that...??
Tried it once, caused all sorts of bother...
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Until recently Cairns was the most expensive city in the world to rent a car. A Corolla for two days was $1000. But you couldn’t get one!
One clever dick I met rented the Bunnings ute for $65 a day. Great lateral thinking there.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

willyhilly wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:21 pm
One clever dick I met rented the Bunnings ute for $65 a day.
Slight disconnect, but can never read that bit of Oz vernacular without thinking of www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu8tX2BAD1k
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic