Possible help in the fight against Dengue

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Possible help in the fight against Dengue

Post by Clemen »

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/01 ... orm-dengue

"Researchers have made genetically engineered mosquitoes armed with a broadly effective antidengue antibody"
"the gene for the antidengue antibody would spread more slowly and would eventually disappear from the population."
"They suspect that similar weapons against viruses such as chikungunya and Zika could be re-engineered and slipped into the mosquito genome."
If successful, and able to overcome regulatory hurdles, this could lower mortality rates and improve lives
up to you...
Roadie
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Possible help in the fight against Dengue

Post by Roadie »

In Townsville, Australia, about 5 years ago, male mosquitoes of the Dengue spreading variety were released. If I have this right, all the male offspring from these males is born sterile. I haven't heard since how effective it was at getting rid of them or cutting down their number.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Roadie wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:16 pm In Townsville, Australia, about 5 years ago, male mosquitoes of the Dengue spreading variety were released. If I have this right, all the male offspring from these males is born sterile. I haven't heard since how effective it was at getting rid of them or cutting down their number.
I read about that, there was also a trial somewhere else for malaria.
This is a different approach, using genetic engineering, but making it a recessive trait so it eventually dies out. So far, it works in the lab, if it can work in the wild the possibilities are endless re insect transmitted disease, and could be re-engineered to fight against filariasis, schistosomiasis, etc.
We'll see
up to you...
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Super successful!

The first large-scale deployment of mosquitoes infected with Wolbachia bacteria, which makes them unable to transmit viruses, has stopped all outbreaks of dengue fever in a city in northern Australia for the last four years.
Townsville was one of Australia's big hot-spots for Dengue.
2018 report
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... mosquitoes

Rolling out in SEA soon-ish apparently, but not sure of the details.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Only an infected female Aedes mosquito spreads Dengue.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Cooldude wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:31 am Only an infected female Aedes mosquito spreads Dengue.
Yes, that's true. Just like in humans males are harmless vegetarians quietly going about their business and looking for a quickie, while females are ravenous blood suckers.
If a sterile male (hello vasectomy) mates with a female no offspring are produced. This keeps the numbers down, it still leaves infected females about though, and mosquito chicks are a bit slutty.
This new technique targets the pathogen, not the mosquito.
up to you...
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

I hope they come up with something soon. I just got over a bout with Dengue and it's not anything I ever want to repeat again.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Try Chikunyunga, I've had both. So much fun
up to you...
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Joy to the world. I have finally caught Dengue. Having travelled a bit it was always a ritual after getting home in the evening from travel of sticky beaking the area that I would have a shower ( of whatever style was available) then apply bug repellent.
Now here for 6+years and living in Phnom Penhs 172 street I thought I was ok. I have only been in a maximum 2 kilometre radius of my home since January 1 .
I cannot say it is a fun time as everything aches. My eyeballs ache!!! Every now and then one of my toes fel like a horse has stepped on it and it alone. In bed at night I am sure someone comes in and grabs a toe with a pair of pliers. Not funny.

On Sunday I was out and had a couple of beers and at 3am I woke with a headache , eyeballs with pins in them and got up to have a leak. WOW. My feet bones hurt so much as I walked to the loo. I had a shower while i was there as bathed in sweat then when I came out checked temp.... 38 degrees. Oh shit. Not a hangover.
Anyway I muddled through Monday and Tuesday (keeping Temps every couple of hours and sleeping a lot) thinking it may pas but grew a brain this morning and went to doctor. An hour later got a call confirming dengue and advised to return on Friday for a follow up.

The good news I think I have dodged the Coronavirus.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i had it a ways back, took 6 months to feel 90% recovered.
good luck
Rest and lots of liquids an stay off the beer

They dont call Dengue, "break bone fever " for nothing
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic