Is big brother really watching?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Re: Is big brother really watching?

Post by Soi Dog »

I believe the surrounding countries, and much of the world, have benefitted enormously from the economic rise of China via trade, and will continue to do so. With the exception of Tibetans and Uighurs, who in the region sees China as an evil overlord? Where will the "Asian Spring" fighters come from? There are bound to be occasional military pissing matches regarding "territorial waters" and "spheres of influence" and pathetic excuses for islands, but there always have been. Japan will have to walk on eggshells due to their WW2 actions and long simmering tensions, just as Vietnam and the Philippines will have to swallow their pride and give up long held claims on the South China Sea. Hong Kong is slowly being assimilated, like it or not.

Taiwan will be by far the biggest test. Something has to give there. I think the writing is on the wall. I can't see the area going to war for it though. Taiwan would be completely destroyed in the process.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

They are not fighting over islands, they are fighting over oil and other resources.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

Soi Dog wrote:I believe the surrounding countries, and much of the world, have benefitted enormously from the economic rise of China via trade, and will continue to do so. With the exception of Tibetans and Uighurs, who in the region sees China as an evil overlord? Where will the "Asian Spring" fighters come from? There are bound to be occasional military pissing matches regarding "territorial waters" and "spheres of influence" and pathetic excuses for islands, but there always have been. Japan will have to walk on eggshells due to their WW2 actions and long simmering tensions, just as Vietnam and the Philippines will have to swallow their pride and give up long held claims on the South China Sea. Hong Kong is slowly being assimilated, like it or not.

Taiwan will be by far the biggest test. Something has to give there. I think the writing is on the wall. I can't see the area going to war for it though. Taiwan would be completely destroyed in the process.

They dont have to come from anywhere. They arent Jihadist. Each country has a very unique situation.

Yes Taiwan is the Elephant in the room.

I do feel for global security and environmentally. China needs to be reeled back in. That country will suck the world dry of every resource.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It wasn't so long ago that people were a lot more careful about what they said in public. That seems to have changed in recent years. I still think it's a good idea not to get into political rants unless you know the allegiances of those around you. No point in upsetting people whose beliefs go back a long way.

As for the "Big Brother" thing, there certainly are tons of spies around, you really have no idea what the different people in your neighborhood actually do. I'd be interested to hear what the OP was actually talking about. I often hear deserved criticism of the PM, but more often than not it's just unfounded conspiracy-theory nonsense. Angkor Wat was sold to Vietnam, Cambodia Beer belongs to the PM so I drink Thai Leo instead, etc... :facepalm:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

just head out to the other side of pochentong to gauge the accuracy of add jay's opinion about the chinese invasion.

not just factories, residential enclaves, with at least one country club and 18 hole golf course. the speed of construction is staggering.

they are relocating from vietnam as well as fresh from the mainland.
Jacket
Expatriate
Austria

Post by Jacket »

We've gone a bit off topic here, but the idea that the Chinese will literally outbreed the Khmer population here in the "not so distant future" is ridiculous. Sounds a lot like the rheteric that's been coming from the reactionary far right in my country ever since the war was over. (And come to think of it, since before the war even started)
I highly doubt that the PRC has such a massive interest in Cambodia to begin with. Right now it's all about the Middle-East and Afrika. That's where you're gonna find some resources. What resources has Cambodia got? An over abundance of conspiracy nuts it seems. So, until we've found a way to turn paranoia into electricity or fuel, we should be alright here.
Bei der Weiterbildung; in der Todeszone.
Jacket
Expatriate
Austria

Post by Jacket »

The Add Jay wrote: I do feel for global security and environmentally. China needs to be reeled back in. That country will suck the world dry of every resource.
Unlike the USA of course, they have just been so modest in their imperialist quest to enslave humanity and steal resources from other nations. China should be more like them and be at a constant state of war for decades. Invade a country or two, start civil unrest in Syria and Ukraine, all of that good "democracy" stuff.
Bei der Weiterbildung; in der Todeszone.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

frank lee bent wrote:they took him out of the pub, watched him pack and drove him to the airport.
One way of avoiding the $12 tuk-tuk charge to the airport, I suppose.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

Jacket wrote:We've gone a bit off topic here, but the idea that the Chinese will literally outbreed the Khmer population here in the "not so distant future" is ridiculous. Sounds a lot like the rheteric that's been coming from the reactionary far right in my country ever since the war was over. (And come to think of it, since before the war even started)
I highly doubt that the PRC has such a massive interest in Cambodia to begin with. Right now it's all about the Middle-East and Afrika. That's where you're gonna find some resources. What resources has Cambodia got? An over abundance of conspiracy nuts it seems. So, until we've found a way to turn paranoia into electricity or fuel, we should be alright here.
But you said it was okay to steal remember!!

Chinese reproduce like anchovies buddy. Also a reminder that the male population is far greater then the female. Therefor many Chinese males are getting the women. All I see around town driving cars are them...just as many khmers.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
SAY_WAT?
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SAY_WAT? »

The local ISPs watch your every move online.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic