Is big brother really watching?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jacket
Expatriate
Austria

Re: Is big brother really watching?

Post by Jacket »

I for one have never shared the sentiment that one's opinion doesn't matter because he isn't from here. If you think that it is OK if somebody tells you off for being a foreigner then go ahead. I hold my opinion in higher regard than that though. Being a foreigner doesn't make me wrong, just like being a local doesn't make anybody right. If someone's talking out of his ass, he's talking out of his ass and I should have the right to call him out on it. What nationality I am shouldn't matter one bit.

And I do find it funny how some people here cry about xenophobia and anti-barang sentiment and then turn around and basically act as if the locals are right in acting that way.
Bei der Weiterbildung; in der Todeszone.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

I much prefer speaking shit about the rain man dickhead and that might bring me karma points too from you know who :bow:
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i doubt they are worried enough to try to exercise control at this level.

they already know who hates them.

not like they have to snoop around to figure that out.
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

I don't think anyone is "watching" per say but certainly Big Brother is "recording" all that they can. If ever an event should turn out negative and they're looking for a Fall Guy a quick search and phone location metadata could put you in a world of shit.

Of the 5 guys that raped the Japanese girl, 2 were definitely found with their phone location. (in a City far away)
Into the Void
Expatriate

Post by Into the Void »

Jacket wrote:Is big brother really watching you ?
Simple questions require simple answers: Yes.
Do not get politically involved in Cambodia or countries alike. You don't know the people and with whom you are dealing with. Spies, esp. in Cambodia are literally everywhere.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Government doesn't give a shit about foreigner bar talk (though press, online critics and activists may be something different at some point in the not too distant future.) They're not watching or listening or taking down foreigner names over table banter. The Cambodians, on the other hand, have a somewhat more reasonable basis for their fear. If they are old enough, they can remember a time when such talk was noted and could buy you an meeting with Angkar. And this fear has been passed on to their children to a degree. And it is possible it could happen again at some point in the future, especially online, though it would probably only be directed at 'trouble makers' and those with some clout. The biggest danger for foreigners engaging in public political conversation, whether pro or anti-government, is that you'll upset the Cambodian at the next table who doesn't agree with your opinions, and decides to take it out on you and/or your business personally. The closest thing I've ever seen to Cambodians threatening a foreigner for his political opinions was the harassment and threats against jm by opposition supports over his article on Phu Quoc.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

I hear the government has more eyes than a pineapple.

I've never been too worried about talking negatively about the government here.

I usually don't say much to locals about it even when asked, just to be courteous.

I did go pretty brutal once when I got invited out to a party in the outskirts of Phnom Penh once.

Started normal. Then one of the college kids said he didn't think Cambodia was very corrupt, LoL. He also knew his country was better than both Thailand and Vietnam. He didn't get why so many people wanted to move to the US....

That's when I decided to give him the cold, hard truth as I saw it.

Considering none of them had been outside Cambodia, they didn't have much response about any of it.

However, I did point out that I enjoy living in Cambodia much more than Thailand, Vietnam or the US, so I was only pointing out the negatives of a place I love.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Into the Void
Expatriate

Post by Into the Void »

General Mackevili wrote:I hear the government has more eyes than a pineapple. Image

I've never been too worried about talking negatively about the government here.

However, I did point out that I enjoy living in Cambodia much more than Thailand, Vietnam or the US,
That was a very wise decision , I guess. There are usually two groups in Cambodia, the normal infiltrated, nationalistic, xenophobic peasant and the ones that are somehow connected to certain institutions. Both of them can cause a lot of damage. I advise to be careful.
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

LTO wrote:The closest thing I've ever seen to Cambodians threatening a foreigner for his political opinions was the harassment and threats against jm by opposition supports over his article on Phu Quoc.
Those Cambodians all live in the states!

Oh wait, so does half this forum :crazy:
Jacket
Expatriate
Austria

Post by Jacket »

Into the Void wrote:
Jacket wrote:Is big brother really watching you ?
Simple questions require simple answers: Yes.
Do not get politically involved in Cambodia or countries alike. You don't know the people and with whom you are dealing with. Spies, esp. in Cambodia are literally everywhere.
This isn't China or the DPRK. It's Cambodia. Do I have to say more? I'm not in any way a threat to the current regime, so why would they go out of their way to spy on me and have me on some government watchlist? (As you're suggesting)
Bei der Weiterbildung; in der Todeszone.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic