Have you been to Hong Kong?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
camgolian
Expatriate
Mongolia

Have you been to Hong Kong?

Post by camgolian »

Have any of you guys ever visited Hong Kong? If so any tips or advice?
Thank you!
:dragonchase:
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Have you been to Hong Kong?

Post by BR549 »

I am going to be there Monday for a short time.
I would suggest boning up on the protests and avoiding these areas.
The one thing I learned the other day is that due to security..if you want to get into the airport you have to have a ticket you purchased on line or at a travel agency. You cannot walk up and claim you are going to buy a ticket at the counter.
I am going there because Cathay Pacific reduced its fares because mainland chinese are not using them since the protests.
I was able to get a great price and I can avoid flying into the mainland to change planes.
I saved a significant amount of money.
I think you should make alternate plans unless it is your thing to go view Hong Kong present day conditions.
I know they are hurting for tourists.
Be careful.
Terry Fishsauce
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Terry Fishsauce »

There's a little dim sum place called Tim Ho Wan. It's the cheapest Michelin Star restaurant in the world, circa $3 per dish. There will be a queue for sure but as I recall you can get a ticket and come back at an allotted time say an hour later.

In the daytime Hong Kong just looks like a massive council estate but it looks immense at night, although you will need to be over in Kowloon to see actually see it properly. Just getting the ferry over Victoria Harbour at night is spectacular.

I'm very jealous actually, there must be some cracking hotel deals at the moment.
jubo2
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jubo2 »

Nothing interesting there if you are not millionaire...
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Spent 4 days in HK in 2018. Crowded, manic and pricey. Great food everywhere. Nice historical museum.

I wouldn't go back except for work.
camgolian
Expatriate
Mongolia

Post by camgolian »

Thanks everyone for the advice. it is greatly appreciated and I will hopefully put all of it to good use! :bow: :bow:
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

camgolian wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:05 pm Have any of you guys ever visited Hong Kong? If so any tips or advice?
Thank you!
:dragonchase:
I wish you have a great adventure. Hong Kong is legendary. Hope you post pics and an account of your visit. I pray I get the opportunity.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Great place, great food, great bars
if you have a day, head over to HK island and just take the double decker bus aorund, stopping off at various places.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Plenty of good drinking spots in kowloon and wanchai
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Soriya wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:20 am Plenty of good drinking spots in kowloon and wanchai
I lived in Wanchai and Happy valley above the race track wayyyyy back.... :beer3:
Best bars are in Central (Lan Kwai Fong)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic