How Many Westerners Do You Know Who Have Died in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: How Many Westerners Do You Know Who Have Died in Cambodia?

Post by BR549 »

I completely understand the view it is important to learn of friends passing.
I received an email about an old friend from the class of 75 at my high school a few days ago.
I know many of you are far more social than I and have been in SEA a lot longer.
My family is dead. I lost my son over 6 years ago.
I finally laid my demented mother to rest a few weeks ago.
I was only talking about me.
I don't have any expats pals or family who need to learn about my demise on this site.
My Khmer wife is not going to log on.
I can see how a family member desperate to find info on a loved one who went off to Cambodia years ago would turn to CEO and its members.
I believe a great deal of the members use this site to stay informed about old pals.
I guess I was just hoping I could avoid the dark net and banter about what a cunt I was.
But, I guess it won't matter after all.
I will be dead and nobody I know will see the pics or read the comments.
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate

Post by Sweet Lemon »

BR549 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:19 am PLEASE KEEP MY NAME...PICTURES...PASSPORT...ACCIDENT SCENE..CRIME SCENE...HEART ATTACK SCENE..OFF THE SITE AND DON'T INCLUDE ME IN YOUR BARANG TALLY.
there was a morbid website of farangs in thailand tbat was sick.
How would we know it's you?
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Not as many as LJ for certain, as I am I am not familiar with the SNV/Kampot crowd, being PP based. That said, I am sure our lists overlap considerably.

It is a simple reality of living in a place where one is the "other" for long periods of time...any death in the expat community is felt by either yourself or someone you know.

I hope everyone on our lists lived well.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

BR549 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:02 am But, I guess it won't matter after all.
I will be dead and nobody I know will see the pics or read the comments.
Yes, but we are expecting fine feasting in the afterlife, Bro5.
So we might need to be notified of the approximate time and place of your arrival if things aren't quite up to scratch in the chef department - over there on the other side.

Then apparently we get to be ghosts all night - that's going to be the really fun part, i reckon.
:mrgreen:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

......I can see how a family member desperate to find info on a loved one who went off to Cambodia years ago would turn to CEO and its members.
They end up at ceo cause they run a search and cause there are some here that take some strange pleasure in posting about the recently departed, as soon as it happens, its at the top, so they come here and read all the bad shit about their loved ones.

My $.05 worth
Bad form to post anything negative about someone that just died, even if they were an asshole...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

i lost 2 good friends in kampchea both within 12 months but numerous associates,nowhere near the amount of friends ilost in blighty but i have lived in asia for nearly a decade and 5 times that in the west.
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:38 am
......I can see how a family member desperate to find info on a loved one who went off to Cambodia years ago would turn to CEO and its members.
They end up at ceo cause they run a search and cause there are some here that take some strange pleasure in posting about the recently departed, as soon as it happens, its at the top, so they come here and read all the bad shit about their loved ones.

My $.05 worth
Bad form to post anything negative about someone that just died, even if they were an asshole...
quite right...
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

One, and into my 15th year. Long may it continue.

In that time I have also lost a Khmer grandmother-in-law, a Khmer neighbour far too soon, and a football club.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I can only think of about four in nearly 15 years.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Too many, more often than not too young, and I don't even live in Cambodia.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic