Vietnam Visa Changes in JuIy 2020.

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
paparazzi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Vietnam Visa Changes in JuIy 2020.

Post by paparazzi »

Hearing that as from July 1st all tourist visas after 1 month must be renewed or the person must exit and re-enter.

This applies to people who have 3 month visas also. Seems complicated!!!

If true all those retired in places like Vung Tau and HCM will need to do visa runs every month or get an extension through an agent. Thats how l read it - but stand corrected.

Passport pages will be filled up really quick!!

Visa runs for many living in Vietnam and on 3 month tourist visas exiting every 3 months was a negative. Now they face monthly exits.Compared with Cambodia's one year Retirement Visa it is so much more trouble.

Well where does this leave the Expat retirement community.????

Thailand visas have become more complicated. Philippine's visas look easy to get but Volcanos, typhoons etc making it not that attractive at present. Vietnam has made more hurdles to jump for visas which will make it just too hard for many. Malaysia is another country to consider as seem keen to get those over 60 years of age to come and stay.

Cambodia's Retirement visa stands out at the moment as a very good option.

Places like Vung Tau will likely see Expats looking at their options. All the hotels with apartments to rent long term may find the going tougher. Bar owners may find their customers no longer around.

Why Vietnam hasn't introduced a Retirement Visa and made it easy for retired folk to stay is a question many will be asking.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Vietnam Visa Changes in JuIy 2020.

Post by Mishmash »

Interesting information Thanks...

Do you have some links to the visa situation in Vietnam as mentioned please :hattip:
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Yeah, it does not look good. I was going to move back to VN likely in May. Seems to me they're trying to get rid of a certain "groups" of people, such as teachers working without a permit and possibly a nationality north of VN. It's all very secretive.

@Mishmash. One legal firm in VN says this:

"Next steps: The government is expect to issue guidance in 2020 that will provide implementation details and additional clarifications."

https://www.balglobal.com/bal-news/new- ... t-in-2020/

Might have to reconsider a return to Cambodia, maybe Siem Reap. I'd like to move back but the Chinese invasion is a bit of a turnoff. And it'll only turn worse. But it cannot get much worse than Thailand, where I unhappily am now.
paparazzi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by paparazzi »

In reality means the end of the 3 month tourist visa as we know it after July 1st. You can get a one month tourist visa and that has to be extended or the visitor must go out.

The extention time period l am unsure about. Also how many times an extention can be gained without going out.

Anyone clarify these issues surrounding the new visa regulations from July 1st especially as it related to expats wanting to retire ( not work) in Vietnam.

Does anyone know if a Vietnamese Retirement Visa is likely in the near future???

Looks like the new regulations will chew through pages in your passport real quick.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

You will be able to find places that will renew your visa without having to leave for 'a small cash fee' (that will work out less than having to leave and re enter). I lived in Vietnam on 3 month visas for 4 years and only left twice. However this isn't a great arrangement as those places might suddenly not be able to renew your visa, it happened to me twice, so its not great for peace of mind etc. I left Vietnam due to visa issues and being unable to get a legit work permit and now live in Laos. Not only is it a place far more suited to my personal needs the visas and permits are a piece of piss.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

I haven't followed the Lao visa situation in quite a while. I thought even with a solid Lao visa, you still had to leave every 30 days. Easy to pop into Udon to go shopping, I suppose, but I always had the impression getting a Lao visa took a lot of effort, cash and an agent.

Here's American YouTuber Eli the Bike Guy from Da Nang who lays out how he sees the 30-day rule being imposed, or selectively imposed. He actually has a pretty good YT channel showing the delights of Da Nang. (I don't know how to embed a YT vid.)

Last edited by ExPenhMan on Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

ExPenhMan wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:30 pm Might have to reconsider a return to Cambodia, maybe Siem Reap. I'd like to move back but the Chinese invasion is a bit of a turnoff. And it'll only turn worse. But it cannot get much worse than Thailand, where I unhappily am now.
Outside of the main centers the Chinese invasion isn't really an issue (yet).

But you'd have to deal with remoteness instead.
paparazzi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by paparazzi »

The video is interesting. Basically don't rush to Vietnam for retirement till we see how this plays out.

The visa agents will be rubbing their hands with joy.

I predict this will see an exodus of expats from Vietnam. Places like Vung Tau hardest hit. Would be unwise to invest in an expat bar in Vung Tau!!!!!!!
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Back when they dropped the 12mo visas, there was the feeling that this was just a short term crackdown, and they would relax the rules again after a while. Not only has that not happened, they're tightening things up even more. Bit of a shame.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
SueOriginal
Tourist
Latvia

Post by SueOriginal »

[Malaysia is another country to consider as seem keen to get those over 60 years of age to come and stay.
[/quote]

I am sorry, but you are so much wrong, there is no retirement visa except MM2H program that comes with a largest financial commitments in the region, and it takes a year or so for an approval.
No retirement folks, incl. those in waiting if MM2H approval, are eligible to use anything than 90 days tourism pass(visa) - and immigration absolutely don't like back to back visas, and also those who stay more than 180 days per year in total - they simply don't allow them to enter.

Why Vietnam doesn't offer retirement visa, I don't know, but may be they simply as a matter of policy don't want too many foreigners to live in the country indefinitely.

Also, the regular (and sane approach) is to base a retirement visa on just on a fact of retirement and age census, but surely it comes in any sensible country with income/assets tests + health care arrangements requirements. It's only a question of time when it will be introduced in Cambodia.
Thailand policy is , as known, they want only relatively wealthy retirees.

For Philippines the main issues, I think, is a cost of comfortable life that is very high, and environment around is generally trash and crap.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic