Vietnam Visa Changes in JuIy 2020.

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Re: Vietnam Visa Changes in JuIy 2020.

Post by Khmu Nation »

Vietnam is rapidly becoming a 'first world country', thus making it much harder to live there long term. And then there is dealing with the Vietnamese on a day to day basis. Hair pull out time.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Lol, @PIEMAN is conspicuously absent from this discussion.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

Re: Vietnam Immigration

The only thing anyone knows for sure is -
:? All is flux, the only constant is change (this includes announcements about what might happen in six months). Fuck me!... it may have changed while I was typing.

The 'goal posts' are not static. :wink:
You could be next.
ElitheBikeGuy
Tourist
Vietnam

Post by ElitheBikeGuy »

Cruisemonkey wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:45 am The 'goal posts' are not static. :wink:
This one is different. It’s law that went through the National Assembly as an amendment to the law that was passed in 2014. It’s not just a memorandum passed down by an immigration official. In order to reverse it, they’d either have to repeal the law, or amend it again, a big process.

The question on everybody’s mind at this point is will they allow local check-ins at immigration in lieu of border runs. The law doesn’t provide for that, and nobody from the government has hinted at it. Still up in the air.
paparazzi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by paparazzi »

Check in at local immigration would be positive. That might stem the flow out from expats a bit.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

paparazzi wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:57 am Check in at local immigration would be positive. That might stem the flow out from expats a bit.
Indeed. However, based on "our" current interpretation of What's Really Going On, VN wants to discourage people from even thinking about coming in on a tourist visa and working. But the net is so wide that it captures all of us who have no intention of working. The obvious thing to do is create a retirement visa. But they had that chance with the recent immigration amendments. Vietnam is not looking good anymore.

To be fair, there's quite a few new visa categories for investors and there are other commendable features (elimination of cooling off period for those lucky countries on 15-day visa waivers). But still, no retirement visa.

A few weeks ago I bought a 3-month multi-entry VN tourist visa starting the end of this month for my Vung Tau trip. The plan was to go out and come back to stay in VT during March to prepare for resettlement there. I think that idea is, well, pretty much trash now.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

From the website, it appears the rules are changing to encourage business and investors.

There isn't such a thing as a long term 'tourist'.

Countries class where you spend the majority of the year as "Residence"

I note, the 2021 Regulations will only allow foreign employees a work permit for maximum 4 years.

If you own a Company or are on the Board the rules are quite good.

Motto - Be on the Board! (at least within 4 years!)

Or marry a local.

Or both!!
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

So I presume the 15 days exempt is still happening? ☺
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

shnoukieBRO wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:15 pm So I presume the 15 days exempt is still happening? ☺
Yup, that was extended last spring and is good till mid-2021. Sadly, not for me.
paparazzi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by paparazzi »

'Eli the bike guy ' has just put a video up on You Tube in last hour.

Best you all watch.

The video is clear that Vietnam has no interest in Retired people and sees little gain in having them. They want investors , and certain skills only. Also visa extentions do not seem likely.

Bye Bye Vietnam!!!!!!

Vung Tau will suffer and many businesses focussed on service to the expat community will likely close.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic