How about a Vietnam sub-forum?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

How about a Vietnam sub-forum?

Post by ExPenhMan »

There is significant growth in interest in Vietnam these days, especially from Thailand expats. Many have been visiting VN more often, looking for an alternative to living in the kingdom that doesn't want them (us!) anymore. Many are reporting life in VN a lot more friendly, cheaper and with a low visa hassle factor. Some have already made the move and abandoned Thailand in the last few months. Yes, some have moved to Cambodia, but VN is looking like the No. 1 alternative.

There have been 3-4 long threads on TV's newly minted Vietnam sub-forum. Quite a few have asked if there is a Vietnam forum.

Leaving aside the question of more work for CEO Admin and Mods, the search for a new "retirement" destination might drive more traffic to CEO.

After all, CEO has Thailand News and Discussion sub-forum. There could be the Vietnam News and Discussion forum. If there's enough traffic, eventually you could add Visa and Night Life sub-forums.

There are lots of potential cities in VN but few people have experience of such places as Hoi An, Da Nang, Hue, Da Lat, Ha Noi, Vung Tau and the biggie, Ho Chi Minh. So I think there would be strong interest.

PS: I'm very likely to be moving back to VN in the spring. I've had enough of the immigration hassles, super high prices and world class air pollution.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: How about a Vietnam sub-forum?

Post by hanno »

ExPenhMan wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:56 amPS: I'm very likely to be moving back to VN in the spring. I've had enough of the immigration hassles, super high prices and world class air pollution.
Just don't go to Ha Noi....
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

ExPenhMan wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:56 am PS: I'm very likely to be moving back to VN in the spring. I've had enough of the immigration hassles, super high prices and world class air pollution.
I am not sure why you are expecting Vietnam to be some expat utopia because it isn't. Visas are a pain in the arse, prices have shot up, tourist numbers are huge and pollution....um....have you been to Saigon?

Good luck.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I'll read a Vietnam forum
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I suggested a Southeast Asia sub-forum to the General a few weeks back. Not only would it provide interest to current members, it'd probably dag in a few more newbs. I'm for a Vietnam subbie.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

Me too. I spend a fair bit of time there and it would be of far greater interest to me at least than the Thai forum.

Johnny
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Me too ;-)
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

Yep, a Vietnam sub forum would be cool.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Khmu Nation wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:11 pm
ExPenhMan wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:56 am PS: I'm very likely to be moving back to VN in the spring. I've had enough of the immigration hassles, super high prices and world class air pollution.
I am not sure why you are expecting Vietnam to be some expat utopia because it isn't. Visas are a pain in the arse, prices have shot up, tourist numbers are huge and pollution....um....have you been to Saigon?

Good luck.
I know all about it. Have lived in VN a total of more than 3 years. Saigon? Hanoi? Never.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

@General Mackevili " . . . they are our neighbo(u)rs." Exactly.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic