How about a Vietnam sub-forum?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Re: How about a Vietnam sub-forum?

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Mr.November wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:38 am I am in Vietnam currently, for a 1-month long holiday, from Phnom Penh. It is my first time here and I am very positively impressed by the country and seriously considering the options of moving here. It is generally cheaper - electricity is 1/5th, nice apartments are $5 a night if you know how to find them, western food is half price to Cambodia, new car taxis the same prices as tuk-tuks in PP and motorbikes are cheaper too. It is more developed, more shopping options and cleaner, plus the country offers more landscape-wise (cool mountains, un-spoilt beaches). Visas for the long term, if you are not an American, seem to be a pain but I am sure are possible with some research.

A sub-forum would be great, so those considering a move could share knowledge and tips.
Tips on the 5$ apartment please?

Also best app for transport? I've heard of Be however I believe I need a Viet number to sign up?
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Duncan wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:45 am Hey, what about us Aussies, we want our own sub-forum too.

Well these guys were ahead of their time....

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

seems more than a few yes's
and some, wont get much use

I 2nd a new subsection for
Asia ( so it separates it from rest of the world), am sure it would get lost of use; Burma, Nepal, Vietnam, Singapore, HK, Laos
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

I live in Laos and am able to provide up to date information on visas, work permits, life here, job opportunities etc.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

I have to call bullshit. I have visited Vietnam many times and the prices quoted by Mr. month 11 are bordering on fantasy. No way is electricity 1/5 the cost. Much cheaper but not that cheap. You just might be able to find an apartment for 5 bucks a night long term. It is not going to be luxurious and may well be miles from the centre of town. Half the price for western food? Bollocks. Again, cheaper yes. Half the cost of PP. No way.

Johnny
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

johnny lightning wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:26 pm I have to call bullshit. I have visited Vietnam many times and the prices quoted by Mr. month 11 are bordering on fantasy. No way is electricity 1/5 the cost. Much cheaper but not that cheap. You just might be able to find an apartment for 5 bucks a night long term. It is not going to be luxurious and may well be miles from the centre of town. Half the price for western food? Bollocks. Again, cheaper yes. Half the cost of PP. No way.

Johnny
Agreed. I paid 3000 to 3500 VND per kw/h in Vung Tau or 13-15 cents US. I have known a handful of expats paying 3.5 million VND a month ($5 or$150/mo) but I would not want to live there. 5 million VND or more a month would be a livable apartment. I mostly paid 6.5 million to 8 million for a modern apartment. A typical meal in a foreigner oriented restaurant would be 100,000 to 150,000 VND or $4.25-$6.50US.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

+1 for Vietnam subforum.
angsta
Expatriate
Congo

Post by angsta »

hunter8 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:26 pm +1 for Vietnam subforum.
A yes from me.
AinC reels off an eloquent and thought provoking monologue adlib
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

But not a word from a mod or the general>>>

Asia sub forum YES
Down button YES, ( think of how much less work there would be for the mods if rather than report a post we disagree with we could just give a down vote for ALL to see..)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:36 pm But not a word from a mod or the general>>>

Asia sub forum YES
Down button YES, ( think of how much less work there would be for the mods if rather than report a post we disagree with we could just give a down vote for ALL to see..)
Down vote buttons evoke too much negativity, resentment and conflict that creates an atmosphere not that dissimilar to TOF. It's been tried and doesn't work.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic