Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Post by IraHayes »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:23 pm
nemo wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:14 pm 750k new cases in USA today.
'Tip of the iceberg' springs to mind...
Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!!

cases cases cases..... a spike in cases ... OMG look at the cases everyone. See how huge numbers and how the graph has gone near vertical....
but do not fear... I am from the government and I'm here to help.

Wait what did you say?
Daily deaths you ask?
no no no ... do not look behind that curtain... that is not for you.
Listen to me .. look at the cases. Thine own eyes can see the spike ... now listen carefully, if yu want to survive do exactly as we say.

OI you .. get away from that curtain!!!

errr excuse me Mr Government man ... what does this graph mean?

oh you dont need to see that... thats not important now get back in line and repeat after me ....
"War is peace, Freedom is slavery, Ignorance is strength!"
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

IraHayes wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:47 pm
Doc67 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:23 pm
nemo wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:14 pm 750k new cases in USA today.
'Tip of the iceberg' springs to mind...
Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!!

cases cases cases..... a spike in cases ... OMG look at the cases everyone. See how huge numbers and how the graph has gone near vertical....
but do not fear... I am from the government and I'm here to help.

Wait what did you say?
Daily deaths you ask?
no no no ... do not look behind that curtain... that is not for you.
Listen to me .. look at the cases. Thine own eyes can see the spike ... now listen carefully, if yu want to survive do exactly as we say.

OI you .. get away from that curtain!!!

errr excuse me Mr Government man ... what does this graph mean?

oh you dont need to see that... thats not important now get back in line and repeat after me ....
"War is peace, Freedom is slavery, Ignorance is strength!"
I don't understand why people can't seem to understand, or choose not to understand, that when hospitals get full of patients, regular people without Covid go without the help they may need. It's about overloading the system made even worse in a place without national healthcare. I wonder what % hospitalized are unvaxed and if the insurance companies are covering them or not. I heard coverage for the unvaccinated was going to end. A few nights in a hospital in the US will ruin you financially.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

IHU: How dangerous is new Covid variant and where has it spread?

Scientists are still examining a new Covid variant, first discovered in southern France last year, to determine whether it could go on to become one of “concern” in the same way strains such as Delta and Omicron have before it.
However, analysis from experts so far suggest it is currently not one to be concerned about.

Unofficially named IHU – in a nod to the group of researchers from the IHU Mediterranee Infection institute, in Marseille, who are studying it – the new B.1.640.2 variant has so far infected 12 people living in the southeast of France.

University College London geneticist Professor Francis Balloux said it is not currently linked to a spike in cases or hospitalisations in France, though.

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/lifestyle/cor ... d=msedgdhp
Always "hope" but never "expect".
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Apollo91881 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:11 pm
I don't understand why people can't seem to understand, or choose not to understand, that when hospitals get full of patients, regular people without Covid go without the help they may need. It's about overloading the system made even worse in a place without national healthcare. I wonder what % hospitalized are unvaxed and if the insurance companies are covering them or not. I heard coverage for the unvaccinated was going to end. A few nights in a hospital in the US will ruin you financially.
But the rate of hospitalization from this new variant is much lower than the previous spike in cases that occurred at the end of Aug beginning of Sept.
Image taken from this URL https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/ (scroll down a bit to find the graph)

Now if you mouse over the graph number appear and the case number per day back then were between 150k and 190k a day.

Now check this page https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/curr ... untry=~USA
that shows the hospitalizations (image below)

On the site when you mouse over the Aug-Sept peak you see daily hospitalizations at around 90-95k a day.

So 190k cases & 90k hospitalizations in Aug-Sept (47% of cases needed hospitalization)
now its 700k+ cases a day and 120k hospitalizations a day (17% of cases need hospitalization)

Now it's late, and I might have got these figures all feked up and if thats the case then apologies but have a look .. are the hospitalizations way lower than before??
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

At the end of his latest video, John Campbell plays with some ideas, e.g. reduction of function and the relevance of the use of human genes in mice.
From 22:00. Note, these are all just feasible possibilities that he considers worth a mention, not saying they are true. Like must things to do with Covid, little is known for certain.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Have any new hospitals been built and people trained to staff them these last two years. Just wondering
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

It was noted that the variant Omicron virus outbreak in South Africa was a milder form of covid19. There were outcries when countries were talking about flight bans and new measures, lockdowns and so on. We have been told we are to live alongside the covid19 viruses and their outbreaks. Omicron virus is more contagious than any previous version of the Covid-19 virus. It's expected to surge throughout countries and its populations, and it will bring death. It was reported that because of the concentration of the pandemic other illness were overlooked, malaria and tuberculosis being noted in Cambodia, but it seems the world health organisation are back pedaling on their origin statements, and reports. Cambodia says too there's 60% less malaria cases in the country. I suppose it's easier to be in some denial of the true figures and problems.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Covid is over

Rejoice
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:27 pm Covid is over

Rejoice
If they say it's over, it's over.

Came into Phnom Penh last Thursday and within minutes encountered two'temple trucks' with drivers in full protected gear and the coffins wrapped in plastic.

But no deaths reported, so it's over.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:04 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:27 pm Covid is over

Rejoice
If they say it's over, it's over.

Came into Phnom Penh last Thursday and within minutes encountered two'temple trucks' with drivers in full protected gear and the coffins wrapped in plastic.

But no deaths reported, so it's over.
Was more of a general statement

Omicron peaking, more than 50% of cases in hospital in UK being "incidental" cases, global death rates ratio to infections moving in totally different directions

Will take a while longer for the madness to pass but, I'm calling it as over

Covid and flu and the cold will all be on the same level of concern before much longer

Optimism
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic