Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Post by ExPenhMan »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:04 pm OMICRON was the choice.

But take a look at what the WHO skipped passed to land on Omicron. I wonder why...
LOL. The chuckles heard round the world, except in the PRC.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

It was all for-told in the scriptures
- of science.

The World Knows an Apocalyptic Pandemic Is Coming
But nobody is interested in doing anything about it.

Foreign Policy
Sept 20, 2019 ( << pre Covid-19 )

By Laurie Garrett, a columnist at Foreign Policy
former senior fellow for global health at the Council on Foreign Relations.

In 1994 I published my book on the subject, The Coming Plague: Newly Emerging Diseases in a World Out of Balance, arguing that human disruption of the global environment, coupled with behaviours that readily spread microbes between people and from animals to humans, guaranteed a global surge in epidemics, even an enormous pandemic.
And in 2000, my book Betrayal of Trust: The Collapse of Global Public Health demonstrated that outbreaks were aided and abetted by inept health systems, human behaviour, and the complete lack of consistent political and financial support for disease-fighting preparedness everywhere in the world.

So what has changed?...

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/09/20/th ... is-coming/

Well worth reading ^^ A brief outline and history of this deathly risk. (and all good solid Science)
I have been an amateur watcher of species-jumping viruses for decades. Covid-19 is just a training exercise, imo.
Last edited by SternAAlbifrons on Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

IraHayes wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:18 pm
orichá wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:55 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:28 pm
nemo wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:08 pm This news is on every outlet of whatever bias. UK has banned flights from Southern Africa.
"The Science" will not know much more than what has been published for 2-3 weeks in any provable way.
As I said last year; when newspapers are running scaremongering headlines over a virus mutating then those headlines won't stop forever. Viruses constantly mutate

This is fearmongering and a knee jerk reaction on the part of whoever banned flights today
And of course, after the next two or three mutations, and 3 billion dead, you will still be complaining about "fear-mongering"...

My point is, this will be a field day for the blind fanatic anti-vaxxers in America and Russia, for example. They will be calling out to high heaven that the Omicron variant is just another big pharaoh pharma plot in league with the Dems to generate more profits and dividends...
I think many of those "blind fanatic anti-vaxxers" would join a mile long queue to get a vaccination should the death toll from a new mutation suddenly start killing a large percentage of the people it infects. As it stands most see the chances of dying from COVID as pretty low risk.
Now, since they've found it in S Africa what are the local mortality rates?
Have they seen a big increase?
Nah … these people are really fucking stupid
ImageImageImage
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Apollo91881 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:26 pm
IraHayes wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:18 pm
orichá wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:55 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:28 pm
nemo wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:08 pm This news is on every outlet of whatever bias. UK has banned flights from Southern Africa.
"The Science" will not know much more than what has been published for 2-3 weeks in any provable way.
As I said last year; when newspapers are running scaremongering headlines over a virus mutating then those headlines won't stop forever. Viruses constantly mutate

This is fearmongering and a knee jerk reaction on the part of whoever banned flights today
And of course, after the next two or three mutations, and 3 billion dead, you will still be complaining about "fear-mongering"...

My point is, this will be a field day for the blind fanatic anti-vaxxers in America and Russia, for example. They will be calling out to high heaven that the Omicron variant is just another big pharaoh pharma plot in league with the Dems to generate more profits and dividends...
I think many of those "blind fanatic anti-vaxxers" would join a mile long queue to get a vaccination should the death toll from a new mutation suddenly start killing a large percentage of the people it infects. As it stands most see the chances of dying from COVID as pretty low risk.
Now, since they've found it in S Africa what are the local mortality rates?
Have they seen a big increase?
Nah … these people are really fucking stupid
ImageImageImage
Sanchez has been a slow motion train wreck for years already. He wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer at the beginning of his career and now quite possibly suffers from CTE, but ofc we won't find out until he dies
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:35 am

The number has 85 not yet been confirmed, 13 cases have, but they deducted the number 85 from the total numbers of passengers and the percentage of people testing positive they have results from.

It puzzles me too though, a negative covid test is a requirement for boarding the plane and entering the country, but this either has not been enforced or fake test results can be obtained very easily.
The final number of infected people in Amsterdam on the flights from South Africa was 61 out of 600 passengers. How many are infected with the new variant is unknown.

Still a puzzling amount given the requirement of a pre-travel PCR test.

<edit>
The requirements for these travelers were:
- a negative pre-travel PCR test, or
- proof of vaccination, or
- proof of recovery from covid
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Omicron is an anagram of Moronic

Seems about right
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Australia has clamped down on Q free entry from all points of origin
I think the large number of positive cases into Belgium has caused a panic
Maybe the tests are not picking up this variant
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

S.A look like they are doing alright tbh
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:22 pm It was all for-told in the scriptures
- of science.

The World Knows an Apocalyptic Pandemic Is Coming
But nobody is interested in doing anything about it.

Foreign Policy
Sept 20, 2019 ( << pre Covid-19 )

By Laurie Garrett, a columnist at Foreign Policy
former senior fellow for global health at the Council on Foreign Relations.

In 1994 I published my book on the subject, The Coming Plague: Newly Emerging Diseases in a World Out of Balance, arguing that human disruption of the global environment, coupled with behaviours that readily spread microbes between people and from animals to humans, guaranteed a global surge in epidemics, even an enormous pandemic.
And in 2000, my book Betrayal of Trust: The Collapse of Global Public Health demonstrated that outbreaks were aided and abetted by inept health systems, human behaviour, and the complete lack of consistent political and financial support for disease-fighting preparedness everywhere in the world.

So what has changed?...

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/09/20/th ... is-coming/

Well worth reading ^^ A brief outline and history of this deathly risk. (and all good solid Science)
I have been an amateur watcher of species-jumping viruses for decades. Covid-19 is just a training exercise, imo.
Good post Uncle Stern, and the one paragraph that really grabbed me, given that the article was published in September 2019 was this one:

Prospects for even deadlier, airborne microbes have also risen since the 1989 gathering of scientists in Washington because the technology to alter viral and bacterial genes is now fast, easy, cheap, and precise.Whether achieved via CRISPR or even newer genetic manipulations, it is now possible to give microbes all sorts of attributes—or make them, from the DNA up. Whether a man-made killer leaks accidentally, or is deliberately spread by malevolent individuals, no nation has the organization and technology to halt an outbreak once the germs escape their lab confines.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:49 pm Image

S.A look like they are doing alright tbh
Here's some more...

What they are getting concerned about:
November

And in comparison to the UK:
November