Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Post by armchairlawyer »

xandreu wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:46 am
I can't remember if it was in this video or I read it someone else, but apparently many vaccines have already been produced for many different scenarios and mutations and there is already a vaccine for this specific mutation.
JC did not say that but he said the new vaccines can be produced quickly. Moderna stock up 20% yesterday!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Anyone planning a relocation in the next 3 months might want to consider bringing their plans forward.

In about a month, when the real world results of this thing are known - e.g. contagion and virulence - we could be back to extensive travel bans and quarantines as countries batten down the hatches again and try to buy some time while the vaccines are "tweaked" for the new variant.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:08 am
xandreu wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:46 am
I can't remember if it was in this video or I read it someone else, but apparently many vaccines have already been produced for many different scenarios and mutations and there is already a vaccine for this specific mutation.
JC did not say that but he said the new vaccines can be produced quickly. Moderna stock up 20% yesterday!
and IAG down 15% in keeping with the travel sector as a whole. How much more can these airlines take?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:15 am John Campbell reviews the new variant.
Short version:
There are 3 relevant issues with any new variant:
1. How contagious is it?
2. Does it escape the vaccines?
3. How sick does it make people?

And, the answers are.....
1. Very, very.
2. Highly probable.
3. Don't yet know but probably no sicker than the previous variants. If we're lucky, less sick.

The new variant (named Omicron by the WHO who decided to skip the Greek letters Nu and Xi) may well have developed in an unvaccinated person with untreated HIV (complicated reasons why). Probably occurred in Botswana. It has spread very rapidly in South Africa since its first known outbreak in early November.
It has already out-competed the Delta variant and will almost certainly go everywhere.
Smart countries have already banned flights from all of southern Africa. The WHO and Fauci say no to flight bans.
But flight bans will only buy time.
It will be pretty easy for AZ, PBTEC and MRNA to tweak their vaccines and this will probably be necessary (JC explains exactly why).
People who have had the actual infection will be better protected than those who have had the existing vaccines.
One gilimmer of hope - if it causes low level sickness then as it spreads around the world quickly, it will confer global imminity without causing much sickness.
The theory being put out is that a single untreated HIV suffer was the incubator of this extremely mutated variant.

Southern Africa has millions of HIV sufferers, many (if not most) are not properly treated with the anti-viral medication. The notion that Covid has just found one of these people is clearly nonsense, there must have been hundreds of thousands of untreated HIV people that caught Covid in the last 18 months. Why has this one person been so different from all the others and enabled Covid to suddenly produce such high levels of mutation in one person? Their theory is silent on this issue.

Or am I missing something?
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:22 pm
The theory being put out is that a single untreated HIV suffer was the incubator of this extremely mutated variant.

Southern Africa has millions of HIV sufferers, many (if not most) are not properly treated with the anti-viral medication. The notion that Covid has just found one of these people is clearly nonsense, there must have been hundreds of thousands of untreated HIV people that caught Covid in the last 18 months. Why has this one person been so different from all the others and enabled Covid to suddenly produce such high levels of mutation in one person? Their theory is silent on this issue.

Or am I missing something?
I dunno Doc, you're the doc.
Ask the guy at UCL who expounded the theory.
Maybe something to do with a remote possibility thing that only happens in a tiny proportion of cases?
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:56 am Anyone planning a relocation in the next 3 months might want to consider bringing their plans forward.

In about a month, when the real world results of this thing are known - e.g. contagion and virulence - we could be back to extensive travel bans and quarantines as countries batten down the hatches again and try to buy some time while the vaccines are "tweaked" for the new variant.
I think there will be a bifurcation in policy.
The wealthier nations will do roughly the same as before, lockdowns, travel bans etc. The new vaccines will be ready very quickly but it will take many months to roll them out.
The poorer nations will do next to nothing and that's because they just cannot afford to. Hopefully they'll at least be able to buy Chinese vaccines.
The problem will be that tourism to the poorer nations will be knocked back as they get placed on red lists.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

OMICRON was the choice.

But take a look at what the WHO skipped passed to land on Omicron. I wonder why...
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:28 pm
nemo wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:08 pm This news is on every outlet of whatever bias. UK has banned flights from Southern Africa.
"The Science" will not know much more than what has been published for 2-3 weeks in any provable way.
As I said last year; when newspapers are running scaremongering headlines over a virus mutating then those headlines won't stop forever. Viruses constantly mutate

This is fearmongering and a knee jerk reaction on the part of whoever banned flights today
And of course, after the next two or three mutations, and 3 billion dead, you will still be complaining about "fear-mongering"...

My point is, this will be a field day for the blind fanatic anti-vaxxers in America and Russia, for example. They will be calling out to high heaven that the Omicron variant is just another big pharaoh pharma plot in league with the Dems to generate more profits and dividends...
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

orichá wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:55 pm
nemo wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:08 pm This news is on every outlet of whatever bias. UK has banned flights from Southern Africa.
"The Science" will not know much more than what has been published for 2-3 weeks in any provable way.
As I said last year; when newspapers are running scaremongering headlines over a virus mutating then those headlines won't stop forever. Viruses constantly mutate

This is fearmongering and a knee jerk reaction on the part of whoever banned flights today
And of course, after the next two or three mutations, and 3 billion dead, you will still be complaining about "fear-mongering"...

My point is, this will be a field day for the blind fanatic anti-vaxxers in America and Russia, for example. They will be calling out to high heaven that the Omicron variant is just another big pharaoh pharma plot in league with the Dems to generate more profits and dividends...
I think many of those "blind fanatic anti-vaxxers" would join a mile long queue to get a vaccination should the death toll from a new mutation suddenly start killing a large percentage of the people it infects. As it stands most see the chances of dying from COVID as pretty low risk.
Now, since they've found it in S Africa what are the local mortality rates?
Have they seen a big increase?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

orichá wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:55 pm

You sound hysterical, 3 billion dead???

Imagine still thinking we will ever ‘beat’ a coronavirus and it would ever ‘go away’ in the first place.

Just another variant, there will be many many more.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic