Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Re: Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Post by Random Dude »

paul2d wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:27 am Further to the report on the situation in Alberta, Canada: the city of Red Deer, located midway between Calgary and Edmonton, population just over 104K, is airlifting Covid patients to hospitals in Calgary and Edmonton due to the overwhelming numbers of patients requiring ventilators and ICU care in that city, https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.6176605
That's pretty much the main point of vaccines, masks etc... it's to protect the hospitals from being overwhelmed. People will always die and get injured for the normal reasons, that's a given. When you have a pandemic though that overwhelms hospitals you're in deep shit.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Random Dude wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:26 am
atst wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:35 am Amazing how hospitals can't cope when we have had this virus for over a year , how many new hospital or wards have been built to cope I suspect zero. The money spent keeping us locked up has been wasted.
Here in NZ 24 people in hospital 4 in ICU the place is falling apart. :facepalm:
It's not just the beds themselves, it's the staff needed to look after the people in the beds. It takes something like 5 years to train ICU staff and we already have a nursing shortage.. NZ just couldn't cope with large numbers of people getting sick and needing intensive care.
Thats exactly what the biggest problem is since the pandemic everywhere, 24 people in hospital , better hope a couple of buses don't crash into each other, money spent on stadiums and not hospitals or training staff.
Nobody seems to ask the question why haven't they increased staff and beds. Thier doing a great job of locking the team of 5M up but
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:01 am Canada: Alberta healthcare system on verge of collapse as Covid cases and anti-vax sentiments rise
A province that has long boasted of its loose coronavirus restrictions has also been the site of North America’s highest caseloads
Leyland Cecco in Toronto
Last modified on Wed 15 Sep 2021 17.01 BST

A surge in coronavirus cases has pushed the healthcare system in the Canadian province of Alberta to the verge of collapse, as healthcare workers struggle against mounting exhaustion and a growing anti-vaccine movement in the region.

The province warned this week that its ICU capacity was strained, with more people requiring intensive care than any other point during the pandemic – nearly all of them unvaccinated.

“It’s not easy to go to work every day and watch people in their 30s die,” an ICU nurse in Edmonton told the Guardian. “Having to help a family say goodbye and then going through the actions that are required at the end of someone’s life, is worse than anyone can imagine.”

Alberta has long boasted of its loose coronavirus restrictions – including advertising the previous months as the “best summer ever” as it rolled back those few restrictions. It has also been the site of North America’s highest caseloads.

In a province with a long history of skepticism towards government, the pandemic has become fertile ground for protests and anti-vaccine rhetoric, including from elected officials, firefighters and police officers. During the ongoing federal election, the People’s Party of Canada, a fringe rightwing party that has come out against public health measures has seen its largest support base in rural Alberta.

That skepticism towards masks and vaccines has come at a steep cost, say frontline workers.

On Monday, more than 60 infectious-disease doctors wrote a letter to the premier, Jason Kenney, warning of a catastrophic outcome if the province did not address the escalating caseload.

“Our healthcare system is truly on the precipice of collapse,” the physicians wrote. “Hospitals and ICUs across the province are under enormous strain and have reached a point where it is unclear if, or for how much longer, we can provide safe care for Albertans.”

The province has cancelled elective surgeries as resources and space are allocated to Covid patients. ICU beds, meanwhile, are at capacity.

“As soon as those breathing tubes come out, we’re kicking people out of ICU to make space for someone else,” said another nurse. “It’s getting bleak. It’s hard to watch.”

Medical staff in Edmonton, the provincial capital, warned they would soon have to triage incoming patients to determine who could receive lifesaving care.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... cases-rise
Problem:
Medical staff in Edmonton, the provincial capital, warned they would soon have to triage incoming patients to determine who could receive lifesaving care.

Solution:
The province warned this week that its ICU capacity was strained, with more people requiring intensive care than any other point during the pandemic – nearly all of them unvaccinated.

It's time for the hospitals, with the full and irrevocable support of the government, make it clear that in times of restricted facilities, those who have been vaccinated will be prioritised over the wilfully unvaccinated. (Those who can't take a vaccine for medical reasons are exempted).

It's time to make it clear, if you choose to go unvaccinated and get very sick, you will be refused treatment if a vaccinated person needs that bed. If you die as a result, so be it, you can be a martyr for you beliefs.

Even in times of availability in ICU, those beds are still being diverted or held back from people waiting for elective surgery and how long are this group of people going to be left waiting to cater for the growing number of wilfully unvaccinated clogging up the system?
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

atst wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:51 am
Random Dude wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:26 am
atst wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:35 am Amazing how hospitals can't cope when we have had this virus for over a year , how many new hospital or wards have been built to cope I suspect zero. The money spent keeping us locked up has been wasted.
Here in NZ 24 people in hospital 4 in ICU the place is falling apart. :facepalm:
It's not just the beds themselves, it's the staff needed to look after the people in the beds. It takes something like 5 years to train ICU staff and we already have a nursing shortage.. NZ just couldn't cope with large numbers of people getting sick and needing intensive care.
Thats exactly what the biggest problem is since the pandemic everywhere, 24 people in hospital , better hope a couple of buses don't crash into each other, money spent on stadiums and not hospitals or training staff.
Nobody seems to ask the question why haven't they increased staff and beds. Thier doing a great job of locking the team of 5M up but
Yep, from what I understand hospitals have been running at near capacity for years and probably underfunded. Kiwi nurses and doctors have been taking off overseas for better money for ages and the nurses are always talking about going on strike for better pay and conditions.

I'm sure they could stick any number of beds somewhere if it came down to it but again, the problem is staffing them. Where do you suddenly find a shitload of nurses, let alone specifically trained ICU nurses? It takes years to get qualified to be a nurse and probably years after that to become an ICU nurse, if you don't already have them you're going to have to go to plan B which is try to stop hospitals becoming overwhelmed.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

OMG! Be thankful you are not in Vietnam during the lockdown, a REAL heavily enforced lockdown.

Been revisiting occasionally the Vung Tau expats FB pages. I don't know all the details but if you want food, you can only use a designated person in your ward to pick up and deliver your groceries, water and whatever. You CANNOT leave your home without good reason, daytime only. If you're caught by the regular patrols/check points outside after 6 pm, you can be fined 3 million dong/US$130.

I'll post this quotation from an expat noting the extreme nature of a Vietnamese lockdown. I know this expat goods shop run by four sisters very well, only a five minute walk from where I used to live. Holy f*ck!
An update on QMart to hopefully help them and us and prevent any bother with the authorities. At the moment QMart is not allowed to have any personal customers. So no-one can go inside the shop or even stand outside to try to order. The shop is being watched and even speaking to someone outside to say what is happening gets them into trouble.

So if you want to order please call or zalo or zalo message what you want. All orders must be delivered by shipper and at the moment this is by the militia who wear the green uniforms (but not the police). These guys are not always available as they have other things to do like manning the checkpoints. You cannot pick up from the shop.

This shipping is not free and so QMart cannot ship the stuff to you for free as they normally do. You will have to pay a bit extra.

The staff at QMart have done everything they can to help expats during the lockdown but at the moment their hands are tied.
Throw in the fact, VN has rejected hundreds if not thousands of visa and work permit renewals and forced foreigners on short notice to get out of the country.

All last year I wished I'd stayed in VN instead of rushing back to my Bangkok apartment in March 2020 because of the relative freedom everyone had compared to curfews and alcohol bans in Thailand and months long bar/pub/restaurant closures. Now, I am enormously happy to be in Thailand, despite the morons running the place.
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:01 am Canada: Alberta healthcare system on verge of collapse as Covid cases and anti-vax sentiments rise
A province that has long boasted of its loose coronavirus restrictions has also been the site of North America’s highest caseloads
I live in Alberta, and I’ve been reading these doom and gloom news reports for the past year and a half.
When you read the headlines, you probably imagine hospitals with their hallways full of sick patients, but the reports very often leave out a few important details:

-How many ICU beds are there?

-How many of those beds would be occupied under normal circumstances?

-How many of those beds are occupied by covid patients, as opposed to people with other health issues?

-What is the age and overall health of the covid patients occupying those beds?

I live in Fort McMurray, about 450 km North of Edmonton. The city has a population of about 80,000 permanent residents, and there are thousands more fly-in workers living in oilfield camps in the surrounding area.

Our hospital has 9 ICU beds.

The average age of death from covid in Alberta is 79.

This is not to say that old people dying is okay, but when you look at the reality of the situation, the real problem is not an overwhelming number of serious cases, but a simple lack of available beds.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Absent covid there are enough beds- so your statement is meaningless.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Ryan754326 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:39 pm
I live in Alberta, and I’ve been reading these doom and gloom news reports for the past year and a half.
When you read the headlines, you probably imagine hospitals with their hallways full of sick patients, but the reports very often leave out a few important details:

-How many ICU beds are there?

-How many of those beds would be occupied under normal circumstances?

-How many of those beds are occupied by covid patients, as opposed to people with other health issues?

-What is the age and overall health of the covid patients occupying those beds?

I live in Fort McMurray, about 450 km North of Edmonton. The city has a population of about 80,000 permanent residents, and there are thousands more fly-in workers living in oilfield camps in the surrounding area.

Our hospital has 9 ICU beds.

The average age of death from covid in Alberta is 79.

This is not to say that old people dying is okay, but when you look at the reality of the situation, the real problem is not an overwhelming number of serious cases, but a simple lack of available beds.
Let's say there are 10.000 more fly in workers. Total population 90.000 people.
That's 1 ICU bed per 10.000 people.
10 ICU beds per 100.000 people.

For comparison:

That's more than Denmark (7.8 beds per 100.000)
And Denmark just re-opened.

Seems like there's something Denmark has done better.
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:27 pm
Let's say there are 10.000 more fly in workers. Total population 90.000 people.
That's 1 ICU bed per 10.000 people.
10 ICU beds per 100.000 people.

For comparison:

That's more than Denmark (7.8 beds per 100.000)
And Denmark just re-opened.

Seems like there's something Denmark has done better.
Alberta was open and maskless in July, with fewer cases, and a similar numbers of deaths to what Denmark currently has. Now, as of yesterday, we’ve declared a state of emergency due to rising case numbers.
It will be interesting to see if Denmark’s case numbers can remain this low going forward. Here in Alberta, we thought we had it beat too.

Here are some numbers to compare:

Denmark population - 5.8 million
Alberta population - 4.3 million

Alberta cases - July 12
30 new cases
weekly average 38 cases per day

Denmark cases - Sept 16 (latest number)
313 new cases
weekly average - 393 cases per day

Alberta deaths - July 12
0 deaths
weekly average - 1 death per day

Denmark deaths - Sept 16
2 deaths
weekly average - 2 deaths per day

Alberta vaccination rate (over 12 years old)
79.6% (1 dose)
71.5% (fully vaccinated)

Denmark vaccination rate - Can’t find an updated number, but I am reading more than 80%. Please fill me in if you can find updated data. I don’t know whether that 80% figure is total population or just those over 12.

Denmark definitely has a higher total vaccination rate, but they are also much more densely packed than here in Alberta.

What are your thoughts?
Stiliko
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Stiliko »

They’re falling like flies.

Another Anti-Vaccine Radio Host Is Killed By Covid—Adding To A Growing List

Bob Enyart, a conservative radio talk show host in Denver who urged listeners to boycott Covid-19 vaccines and vowed never to get a shot, has lost his life after contracting the virus, one of his co-hosts announced earlier this week, in what is but the latest instance of a right-wing radio pundit succumbing to the coronavirus.
At least four other right-wing radio hosts have died of Covid-19 since early August after each previously cast doubt on the safety of vaccines or fought against mask mandates and other public health initiatives.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/ ... -list/amp/
she was quite pretty and looked older
she knew only what had been told her
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic