Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Post by Arget »

By the time the doctors determine the new strain of the virus it could and probably would have been taken around the world so it is pointless to isolate the countries who find it in their communities.
Just one more fear mongering knee jerk reaction to appease the vocal minority.
Shutting barn doors and horses comes to mind
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Post by jah steu »

Arget wrote:By the time the doctors determine the new strain of the virus it could and probably would have been taken around the world so it is pointless to isolate the countries who find it in their communities.
Agreed. And so far the evidence points towards it being more infectious but NOT causing more severe symptoms or more deaths as a percentage of people infected. And almost certainly most if not all of the vaccines will still protect against it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

jah steu wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:49 pm
Arget wrote:By the time the doctors determine the new strain of the virus it could and probably would have been taken around the world so it is pointless to isolate the countries who find it in their communities.
Agreed. And so far the evidence points towards it being more infectious but NOT causing more severe symptoms or more deaths as a percentage of people infected. And almost certainly most if not all of the vaccines will still protect against it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm getting a little concerned by this new strain. There was a doctor on the radio yesterday saying that this strain is out of control and the current lockdown measures are not, and will not, prevent it's spread. That means that the UK may well end up with as much naturally occurring herd immunity by way of infection and recovery than it will by vaccine immunity.

The next few months in the UK might be a bit chaotic and the NHS could be overwhelmed unless proper shielding of the highly vulnerable in made much more effective.

Meanwhile, the Oxford vaccine looks set for imminent approval and the hugely advantageous storage conditions over the Pfizer vaccine should not be wasted. The UK needs to wake up and stop this silly NHS hero worship and withdraw their monopoly over vaccinations. What is needed is a MASS and FAST immunisation project over the next 3 months, not a queue and wait system cocked up by the NHS.

Tents in every high street outside pharmacies. Go in pharmacy - get your shot - go to the tent- get it injected. You could do entire districts within weeks. But you are going to need to get non medical staff to give the injections. We simply cannot wait for a nurse or a doctor to become available to give an injection. How hard can it be? I'd do it myself given the chance.

Watched this. I'm now qualified!
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:50 pm Tents in every high street outside pharmacies. Go in pharmacy - get your shot - go to the tent- get it injected. You could do entire districts within weeks. But you are going to need to get non medical staff to give the injections. We simply cannot wait for a nurse or a doctor to become available to give an injection. How hard can it be? I'd do it myself given the chance.
Isn't the main issue a potentially life-threatening allergic reaction (anaphylactic shock) that requires immediate medical attention? It's rare, but with millions of vaccinations due, it will happen. For this reason alone, medical staff will need to be present.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Doc67 wrote:Watched this. I'm now qualified!
As long as you’re qualified to take care of severe allergic reactions...

Give CPR if needed.
Intubated and ventilate if needed.
Shock if needed.
Give drugs if needed.

Then sure, you’re qualified.

Otherwise, I’d be safer with the trained medical personnel.

But putting the elderly BEFORE the NHS medical doctors and nurses for the vaccine?

(Shakes head in disbelief)
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:50 am

Give CPR if needed.
Shock if needed.
Give drugs if needed.

But putting the elderly BEFORE the NHS medical doctors and nurses for the vaccine?

The purpose of the vaccine is to give you body anti-bodies to combat the covid virus, so why would those that are in hospital with covid sick or on deaths door not be the first to receive the vaccine .
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:50 am
Doc67 wrote:Watched this. I'm now qualified!

Give CPR if needed.
Shock if needed.
Give drugs if needed.

It is exactly this sort of alarmist nonsense that frighten politicians into hiding behind the NHS as it gives them political cover.

People who have a history of extreme allergic reaction are not going to be given the vaccine (after a nurse had a reaction). But, they all carry Epi pens and know when it is happening anyway. You could have a couple of those available if that makes people comfortable.

Are you serious? After an injection? CPR and Shock treatment? Are you expecting people to have heat failure?

After decades of shoving Health and Safety ideas down peoples throats and this endless search for safety, we have generations of people terrified by their own shadow and leaders who pander to them, because they created them.

If you are too scared to get an injection without full blown medical facilities available in case you have a heart attack and need intubation, then fine - you can wait at the back of a very long line at the hospital. But please.... let the brave amongst us get this vaccine business over and done with as soon as possible. We'll accept this risk.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Doc67 wrote:We'll accept this risk.
Individually (you) may accept this risk, but if someone keels over and dies, absolutely count on their families NOT accepting the risk. And demanding negative publicity and compensation as a result.

Some Medical group I’ve never heard of is demanding that all vaccines be tested for at least an addition 6 months before administration. “For safety.”

Taiwan has shut down again to travel due to the virus. No transfers through Taipei starting on January 1st.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

this has me worried as well;

How did a 20 year old in Colorado get the new strain??
The infected individual, a man in his 20s, does not have a history of traveling and is in isolation in Elbert County, about an hour and a half south of Denver, officials said.
The new strain could be as much as 70% more transmissible.
U.S. coronavirus vaccine czar, Moncef Slaoui, said earlier in December that the Pfizer and Moderna Covid-19 shots should be effective against new strains.
There is a lot we don’t know about this new Covid-19 variant, but scientists in the United Kingdom are warning the world that it is significantly more contagious,” Colorado Gov. Jared Polis said. “The health and safety of Coloradans is our top priority and we will closely monitor this case, as well as all COVID-19 indicators, very closely.”
Yep, he is right, they really dont know whats going on...

wtf?? why not???
The Trump administration does not plan to impose Covid-19 screenings for passengers arriving at U.S. airports from the United Kingdom, Reuters reported, citing officials familiar with the matter.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/28/us-conf ... n-uk-.html
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

JAPAN and global report:
New Virus Strain Fears; Tokyo Battles Spread: Virus Update
Bloomberg News
31 December 2020, 00:15, Updated on 31 December 2020, 13:54 CET
Global deaths from Covid-19 passed 1.8 million. Tokyo recorded a record number of new infections, and Japan warned it could consider a state of emergency if the new outbreak can’t be contained.

Governments across the globe asked their citizens to celebrate the New Year at home. Cities that had gone weeks without new infections, including Beijing and Melbourne, are now reporting clusters, and the new, highly transmissible virus strain was found in Singapore and California. The variant is more transmissible and appears to affect a higher proportion of people under 20, according to a report.

Countries around the world tightened border controls. The EU said it would bar travelers from the U.K. after Britain’s official exit on Jan. 1. Travel between Sydney and Melbourne will be blocked as of Jan. 2; both cities are seeing a resurgence in cases. Chinese authorities are urging people to stay home during the Lunar New Year holidays, which begin Feb. 11.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ium-europe
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic