Ukranian Plane crash - Shot down by Iran?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Ukranian Plane crash - Shot down by Iran?

Post by pczz »

Brody wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:00 pm Newkid, don't go down the 'US is the be-all and end-all of the world's woes' rabbit hole with pczz.......this guy has some major unresolved issues......years ago some strapping Yank must have kicked his ass or stole his girlfriend and he hasn't been the same since.

pczz, show the doctor where the bad American touched you.
I will if you tell me why Americans so hate anyone who has a different opinion to them? In Thailand everyone accepts there is the Thai way and the wrong way. USa seesm to believe the same. Any criticism of USA bringgs out the flamethrowers. i swear if i went to new york and said Hot Dogs suck uit would be grounds for a retaliatory missile strike
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

pczz wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:40 pm i swear if i went to new york and said Hot Dogs suck uit would be grounds for a retaliatory missile strike
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

pczz wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:40 pm
Brody wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:00 pm Newkid, don't go down the 'US is the be-all and end-all of the world's woes' rabbit hole with pczz.......this guy has some major unresolved issues......years ago some strapping Yank must have kicked his ass or stole his girlfriend and he hasn't been the same since.

I will if you tell me why Americans so hate anyone who has a different opinion to them? In Thailand everyone accepts there is the Thai way and the wrong way. USa seesm to believe the same. Any criticism of USA bringgs out the flamethrowers. i swear if i went to new york and said Hot Dogs suck uit would be grounds for a retaliatory missile strike
You've gone and done it now.....

Incoming!!!!

Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

pczz wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:40 pm i swear if i went to new york and said Hot Dogs suck it would be grounds for a retaliatory missile strike
They are a testy lot those New Yorkers tho....just ask Borat :plus1:

Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

monstra mihi bona!
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

^^^

!!!
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Phnom Poon wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:43 pm iran displaying integrity in comparison
Not that they had much of a choice in this day and age. There were already multiple smart phone videos of the incident out on the web before they could even begin to think of any damage control.

But regardless I'm sure the Iranian regime would have acted with the utmost of integrity in any event. :facepalm:

You didn't even need to go back so far in history to find such a comparison and lack of integrity.

What about Malaysia Airlines Flight 17, flying over Ukraine in 2014 and shot down? (Sorry, it doesn't involve the United States)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia_ ... rosecution
monomial
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by monomial »

pczz wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:40 pm

That's not really true. There is just a very vocal subset of Americans who believe in their constitutional right to say whatever they want. It is a cultural heritage. Every country has the same percentage of fanatics, its just that other countries don't glorify the inalienable right to voice your opinion, no matter how ridiculus it may be, and then allows this legal right somehow be raised into a moral good.

Luckily, it is not the same everywhere. I actually come to CEO for a dose of sanity. Compared to the crazies who hang out on Thai Visa, the Americans (and other nationalities) over here are really quite intellectual.

As the empire of the day, the US is obviously going to be responsible for more problems and more solutions than any other country. Solutions don't get any screen time of course, but problems sure do. During the 1800's, Britain was responsible for all the world's problems. And in the future it will probably be China that gets to carry the mantle of being the root of all the world's woes. It's just the times we live in.

BTW, you think American's are bad? Try telling an Australian he is wrong...
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:15 pm When the US makes a mistake, it will admit that it made a mistake.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655
Iraq?
Iran Air Flight 655 was a scheduled passenger flight from Tehran to Dubai via Bandar Abbas that was shot down on 3 July 1988 by an SM-2MR surface-to-air missile fired from USS Vincennes, a guided-missile cruiser of the United States Navy. The aircraft, an Airbus A300, was destroyed and all 290 people on board were killed.[1] The jet was hit while flying over Iran's territorial waters in the Persian Gulf, along the flight's usual route, shortly after departing Bandar Abbas International Airport, the flight's stopover location. The incident occurred during the final stages of the Iran–Iraq War, which had been ongoing for nearly eight years. Vincennes had entered Iranian territory after one of its helicopters drew warning fire from Iranian speedboats operating within Iranian territorial limits.[2][3][4][5][6][7]

The reason for the shootdown has been disputed between the governments of the two countries. According to the U.S., the Vincennes crew had incorrectly identified the Airbus as an attacking F-14 Tomcat, a U.S.-made jet fighter that had been part of the Iranian Air Force inventory since the 1970s. While the F-14s had been supplied to Iran in an air-to-air configuration,[8][9] the Vincennes crew had been briefed that the Iranian F-14s were equipped with air-to-ground ordnance.[10] Vincennes had made ten attempts to contact the aircraft on both military and civilian radio frequencies, but had received no response.[11] According to Iran, the cruiser negligently shot down the aircraft, which was transmitting IFF squawks in Mode III, a signal that identified it as a civilian aircraft, and not Mode II as used by Iranian military aircraft.[12][13] The event generated a great deal of criticism of the United States. Some analysts blamed the captain of Vincennes, William C. Rogers III, for overly aggressive behavior in a tense and dangerous environment.[11][14] In the days immediately following the incident, President Ronald Reagan issued a written diplomatic note to the Iranian government, expressing deep regret.[15] However, the U.S. continued to insist that Vincennes was acting in self-defense in international waters.

In 1996, the governments of the U.S. and Iran reached a settlement at the International Court of Justice which included the statement "... the United States recognized the aerial incident of 3 July 1988 as a terrible human tragedy and expressed deep regret over the loss of lives caused by the incident ..."[16] As part of the settlement, even though the U.S. government did not admit legal liability or formally apologize to Iran, it still agreed to pay US$61.8 million on an ex gratia basis in compensation to the families of the Iranian victims.[17] The shootdown was the deadliest aviation disaster involving an Airbus A300.[18][19][20]

Reagan never admitted legal liability. Perhaps you'd like to rephrase your post?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

monomial wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:34 pm During the 1800's, Britain was responsible for all the world's problems.
I’m not sure that’s entirely fair or true. If the natives had simply done as instructed, there’d have been less problems.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic