Man Goes Berserk and Attacks Tuktuk After He Says He Was Ripped Off by Driver

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Man Goes Berserk and Attacks Tuktuk After He Says He Was Ripped Off by Driver

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia Breaking News, Phnom Penh: On 5 January, 2020, the police arrested a man on charges of intentional violence, after he savagely attacked a passapp tuktuk with rocks and a large knife.
The attack occurred in front of a rented house at # 8, Street 562, Group 44, Village 11, Boeung Kak 1, Khan Toul Kork, Phnom Penh, January 5, 2020 at about 1:20 pm. The motive for the incident is unknown, and the attacker was not identified by police.

The man arrested contacted CEO and gave us this version of the events that lead to this, along with a screenshot from the app with the jacked fee and the regular fee:

'I ordered a tuk tuk to go home after having dinner with my friends. The tuk tuk arrived (passapp) and as always I just give directions. I know how to get to my place and also know how to say left, right, and straight ahead in khmer. When I got to my place, the tuk tuk driver swiped to finish the trip and announced 21k riel. I asked how in the world this happened. I then proceeded to check the digital receipt only to see that he had (I don't know how) hacked the app. I told him I wasn't going to pay that amount and he became aggressive, telling "ah kmao chkei" and "choy ma". I got out of the tuk tuk to see his screen and he pushed me and started yelling. At that point, I lost my cool and started telling him to go choy his ma. When he realized that I was playing (after pushing him a couple of times and throwing his shoes in some bushes) he ran away. I wanted some payback for the utter lack of respect and integrity and destroyed his tuk tuk.

That is me. It's all good. Sure, I'd greatly appreciate that. As I've said before, I'm holding myself accountable for my actions and regret losing my cool. I should've just left after paying him (I still gave $2 for the ride. The regular price).

No no!!! He didn't take me on that trip. I don't know how but he hacked the app. We went straight from bkk1 to TK.'

ImageImage
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Man Goes Berserk and Attacks Tuktuk After He Says He Was Ripped Off by Driver

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Updated with the man who attacked the tuk-tuk's side of the story.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Man Goes Berserk and Attacks Tuktuk After He Says He Was Ripped Off by Driver

Post by IraHayes »

I have had something similar happen on a regular trip where the app jumped to a random place and i guessed it was the apps fault and not the drivers as i can't see a tuktuk driver being able to *hack * the app.

Mine was just a 3,000R additional charge though so we both agreed it was the app and o paid the driver. Since it has mot happened again since i feel it is the apps fault. And i should have contacted passapp about it... nut i never did.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

IraHayes wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:11 pm And i should have contacted passapp about it... nut i never did.
Then this is all your fault! If you had reported this the first time, this would have never happened.

I don't know if 'hacked' is the right word, but he didn't didn't travel 19.41 kilometers in 12 minutes and 13 seconds, so something is up.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Fine, that's perfectly understandable to cause $1000 damage or so for a $3 overcharge on a tuktuk ride. But why would you be taking a tuktuk while carrying a very large butcher's knife ?
Sincere question. I usually leave my kitchen knives at home when I go out. :popcorn:
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

IraHayes wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:11 pm I have had something similar happen on a regular trip where the app jumped to a random place and i guessed it was the apps fault and not the drivers as i can't see a tuktuk driver being able to *hack * the app.

Mine was just a 3,000R additional charge though so we both agreed it was the app and o paid the driver. Since it has mot happened again since i feel it is the apps fault. And i should have contacted passapp about it... nut i never did.
I have had this happen a few times with PassApp (that's one of many reasons I much prefer Grab). Each time I paid the inflated fare and sent a message to the company. They replied saying they would yak-yak the driver but no refund for me.
Methinks the customer in this case has anger issues.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:30 pm Fine, that's perfectly understandable to cause $1000 damage or so for a $3 overcharge on a tuktuk ride. But why would you be taking a tuktuk while carrying a very large butcher's knife ?
Sincere question. I usually leave my kitchen knives at home when I go out. :popcorn:
Go to your kitchen, turn on the stove, grab a saucepan and melt some butter. While the butter is melting, put some popcorn in the microwave. Once the butter is completely melted and about room temperature, dump it on your popcorn. Once you're done, go on fb and enjoy your buttery popcorn. It's a real shit show.
Isaanbarang
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Isaanbarang »

I hope his new roommates don t loose their "cool" when homie takes up more than his 1.5 sq m of floor while sleeping in his new acomadation. Some people really could benefit from anger management counseling but then another way to look at it is for $3 he has bought himself a new adventure few of us will ever experience.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Wow!

What a Top bloke. Another Tourist which thinks it's perfectly fine to behave like a monster in Cambodia over a rather trivial matter.

:chin:
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

I suspect after the tuk tuk guy ran away ...the guy went inside his house and retrieved the knife.
He then cut the top off the vehicle.
I have pass ap guys act like their phone is malfunctioning. I have passap guys cheat themselves. I used a lot of tuk tuk drivers all over Cambodia before passap was around...the 'up to you- phrase has been a common reply when I ask ..how much?
PP is full of tuk tuk drivers that want 20,000 from a barang to go 5km...
It is a shame this bullshit escalated to this degree.
That respect thing comes up a lot in the USA and often leads to extreme violence and foolish actions.
Silly assed bullshit.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic