Getting Sick

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Getting Sick

Post by Spigzy »

You guys are so kind. In the absence of any other Chopper Reid-esque advice- this POME is going to have to go in ... “Toughen the fuck up”.

(Now waits to get a cold, karma is a bitch :D )
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I suffer from what I've simply decided to call Cambodia Fever. I rarely used to get sick back home but since living here, every three or four months or so I'll come down with a general sickness. Never anything too serious, headaches, cough, cold, sore throat etc and just generally feeling shit for a few days, then its gone again.

I've no idea where it comes from but it's been a common and frequent event for the few years I've been living here.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

Lots of garlic and green vegetables and stay away from people who talk shit about Trump.
And wash your fucking hands.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

xandreu wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:58 pm I suffer from what I've simply decided to call Cambodia Fever. I rarely used to get sick back home but since living here, every three or four months or so I'll come down with a general sickness. Never anything too serious, headaches, cough, cold, sore throat etc and just generally feeling shit for a few days, then its gone again.

I've no idea where it comes from but it's been a common and frequent event for the few years I've been living here.
Yep. I get the same (in fact I have it now)

Attached is a photo of my medications
1. Chinese stuff for chesty crap += $6
2. Pkt of Rhinxe Cold and flu tablets =$1 per sheet (4 days worth)
3, Neo-Condion for cough = $3.5 per box (usually only take about 3 tablets for the time crook)
4. Sleeping medicine if required = $9.5 ( Can be used independent to having a cold as well)

xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Arget wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:17 pm
xandreu wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:58 pm I suffer from what I've simply decided to call Cambodia Fever. I rarely used to get sick back home but since living here, every three or four months or so I'll come down with a general sickness. Never anything too serious, headaches, cough, cold, sore throat etc and just generally feeling shit for a few days, then its gone again.

Yep. I get the same (in fact I have it now)

Attached is a photo of my medications
1. Chinese stuff for chesty crap += $6
2. Pkt of Rhinxe Cold and flu tablets =$1 per sheet (4 days worth)
3, Neo-Condion for cough = $3.5 per box (usually only take about 3 tablets for the time crook)
4. Sleeping medicine if required = $9.5 ( Can be used independent to having a cold as well)

Looks like my breakfast.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Since I've lived here I have made a habit of washing my hands every time after I get home from being out. Not going to stop you picking up airborne illnesses from people sneezing etc though. Oh, and if you flying, that's the worst place for germs, from seat belt buckles, tray tables etc because of the sheer number of people touching them multiple times every day. Must get some hand sanitiser wipes for my travel kit.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

Totally know what you're talking about. I've wondered about pesticides on food, pesticides sprayed in my room, viruses that I have no immunity to and air-pollution. Last time i was wondering about this I think I got told to harden up by one of the more prolific posters, but I guess I'm not the only one who gets sick more in Pp than back home and wonders if anything can be done about it
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

BR549 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:16 pm Lots of garlic and green vegetables and stay away from people who talk shit about Trump.
And wash your fucking hands.
Be sure to wash those green leafy veges thoroughly.
Khmers just rinse the dust off, but not a thorough clean. A good source of stomach problems.
dontbeasourlemon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by dontbeasourlemon »

Thanks for all the advice and well wishes. Much appreciated 🙂. I do try to wash my hands regularly but there are so many surfaces that others touch that you touch I would have to develop OCD to survive. Honestly, I think it was one of the coworkers they like to spread their germs around 😷. (Is the stapler safe? probably not, nothing is safe 😂)
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

All good suggestions above. But what really does a good job for me, for any ailment really, is toking on some good medical marijuana. The recreational type will also do in a pinch!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic