Phuket: Facing worst tourism crisis in three decades - half of hotel rooms empty in 2020

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Phuket: Facing worst tourism crisis in three decades - half of hotel rooms empty in 2020

Post by phuketrichard »

King Keil wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:42 pm
shnoukieBRO wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:24 pm So what's up with Nepal?
Its still absolutely amazing except lakeside in pokhara and thamel. Easily avoided.
someone once asked a climber why he traveled thousands of miles to climb a rock
he responded,
Because it is there

view from Bakatapur
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
adders28
Expatriate

Re: Phuket: Facing worst tourism crisis in three decades - half of hotel rooms empty in 2020

Post by adders28 »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:48 pm
Its still absolutely amazing except lakeside in pokhara and thamel. Easily avoided.
he responded,
Because it is there

view from Bakatapur
good quote can not remember who but just read it in a jeffrey archer book
anyway how about this as an excuse for no tourists lol could not make it up
https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/114171 ... ournament/
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

he responded,
Because it is there

view from Bakatapur
Yeah funny COZ I beeneed there already did Anapurna trek and Kathmandu pokhara Thamel etc.

Waz wondering what's was rong that Richard dozent wanna reeturn
Terry Fishsauce
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Terry Fishsauce »

I've spent a few weeks in Nepal, it is a bit of a filthy shit hole to be fair. Big mountains and all but not really beautiful, they just look like heaps of rubble where they're not covered in snow. It's not nearly as nice as walking in places like Wales or the Lake District, as for places like Switzerland or Austria - fucking forget about it, they're in a different league altogether.

From working all over the middle east, I've met plenty of Nepalese people and found them to be very high calibre indeed. However many of the ones I met in Nepal were dodgy as fuck and wanting to fleece me. I wouldn't go back.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

shnoukieBRO wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:16 am
he responded,
Because it is there

view from Bakatapur
Yeah funny COZ I beeneed there already did Anapurna trek and Kathmandu pokhara Thamel etc.

Waz wondering what's was rong that Richard dozent wanna reeturn
i spent loads of time up there, trekking, ( have done all the magor treks and others,even the Annapurna circuit with my mtn bike way before there was a road) mtn biking, working in Nepal in the late 70's-80's and it was paradise.
My last trek was '92 thru lantang/helmbu an blew out my knees coming down, so no more trekking.

Its all changed, its polluted, it way to busy, 17 flights/day to Lukla in the high season,that means over 300 people/day heading out to Everest base camp, spoke with an old guide i know, last time i as at Annapurna base camp,1 lodge, now 15!!!, the traffic, fuck you now have to pay to get in everywhere( last trip it cost me over $50 in entrance fees) $500 to go to Mustang,the bottom 50% people seem generally worse off than 20 years ago.

Still have some Nepali, Managi friends, (most of the expats i used to hang with have died) and all agree business sucks an the new goverment.......less said the best

Its still a great country, great people
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Weird. Nepal is one of my favourite places, and I find it weird that anyone would call any of the thousands of mountains there "piles of rubble", or even remotely comparable to the Lake District, but to each their own. I find beaches all over the world "hot, unbearable shitholes", but I know most would disagree with me.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
adders28
Expatriate

Post by adders28 »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:42 pm Weird. Nepal is one of my favourite places, and I find it weird that anyone would call any of the thousands of mountains there "piles of rubble", or even remotely comparable to the Lake District, but to each their own. I find beaches all over the world "hot, unbearable shitholes", but I know most would disagree with me.
even the juntas mouthpiece bangkok post is reporting drastic drop in tourists! stop killing tourists, stop overcharging, fake smiles, fake king, fake army, fake effing everything, baht too high its manipulated so elite get rich. som nam na
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic