Phuket: Facing worst tourism crisis in three decades - half of hotel rooms empty in 2020

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Re: Phuket: Facing worst tourism crisis in three decades - half of hotel rooms empty in 2020

Post by rogerrabbit »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:01 pm There over 9,000,000 visors Flying into Phuket /year,
apx 25,000 hotel rooms on the island, ( keep in mind phuket is a province ) and maybe another 3-4,00 airbnb offerings and building more and more condos/300+room hotels
There are 15k active airbnb listing currently in Phuket. Some of course are hotels posting there rooms but 11k are listed as entire home (with kitchen etc). Current occupancy rate of those is 49%. Same time last year occupancy rate was 57% and in February 2019 rate was 68%. October 2019 airbnb occupany rate in Phuket was 37%.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: Phuket: Facing worst tourism crisis in three decades - half of hotel rooms empty in 2020

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

On a micro economic level I've been seeing the obvious signs of a recession building in Pattaya throughout the year., my primary gauge being the number of empty shop houses with For Sale/Rent signs up. Even though businesses have always changed hands it doesn't matter where you go, Central Pattaya, Naklua or Jomtien it is now staring you in the face at a level I've never seen in my couple of decades. I'm not talking about bars or entertainment venues but the whole gamut of small manufacturing/ support/service outlets.

I flew into Bangkok from the UK New Year's evening, breezed through immigration and was expecting to have to have wait a couple of airport buses for a seat. No queue and I was on the next one, unheard of. Expected the condo pool to be busy with annual returnees, only 6 people and quietest I've seen it for what is peak season. Off to Penang end of the month and Hanoi in April as I'm not spending discretionary money in Thailand with the exchange rate so poor. A good opportunity to see the situation is competing economies and measure service levels to what I have become used to in Thailand.

What goes for the tourist related industry has to go for the heavily export related sectors of the economy, but it seems like the government are looking to deflect the causes onto issues like China/America trade war rather than address the impact the current baht level is having across the board.

I can only see it getting worse this year unfortunately, the time lag from the lack of overseas capital investment since the military took power is slowly but surely beginning to be felt. As usual major govt capital investments are planned to boost the economy, just a pity 20-30% disappears in the process.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

adders28 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:27 pm
shnoukieBRO wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:24 pm So what's up with Nepal?
He is paid to promote thailand
PAID?? by whom

Nepal?? ahh the mountains
Last edited by phuketrichard on Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

rogerrabbit wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:41 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:01 pm There over 9,000,000 visors Flying into Phuket /year,
apx 25,000 hotel rooms on the island, ( keep in mind phuket is a province ) and maybe another 3-4,00 airbnb offerings and building more and more condos/300+room hotels
There are 15k active airbnb listing currently in Phuket. Some of course are hotels posting there rooms but 11k are listed as entire home (with kitchen etc). Current occupancy rate of those is 49%. Same time last year occupancy rate was 57% and in February 2019 rate was 68%. October 2019 airbnb occupany rate in Phuket was 37%.
i am curious where you got 11,000 air bnb homes for rent in Phuket cause that seems WAY high
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:42 pm On a micro economic level I've been seeing the obvious signs of a recession building in Pattaya throughout the year., my primary gauge being the number of empty shop houses with For Sale/Rent signs up. Even though businesses have always changed hands it doesn't matter where you go, Central Pattaya, Naklua or Jomtien it is now staring you in the face at a level I've never seen in my couple of decades. I'm not talking about bars or entertainment venues but the whole gamut of small manufacturing/ support/service outlets.

I flew into Bangkok from the UK New Year's evening, breezed through immigration and was expecting to have to have wait a couple of airport buses for a seat. No queue and I was on the next one, unheard of. Expected the condo pool to be busy with annual returnees, only 6 people and quietest I've seen it for what is peak season. Off to Penang end of the month and Hanoi in April as I'm not spending discretionary money in Thailand with the exchange rate so poor. A good opportunity to see the situation is competing economies and measure service levels to what I have become used to in Thailand.

What goes for the tourist related industry has to go for the heavily export related sectors of the economy, but it seems like the government are looking to deflect the causes onto issues like China/America trade war rather than address the impact the current baht level is having across the board.

I can only see it getting worse this year unfortunately, the time lag from the lack of overseas capital investment since the military took power is slowly but surely beginning to be felt. As usual major govt capital investments are planned to boost the economy, just a pity 20-30% disappears in the process.
I agree with some of this. Pattaya looked quiet to me just before Xmas and I heard that the estate agents have loads of empty apartments on their books.
OTOH, the airport was busy both times I saw it. Many Chinese groups.
They are running a more frequent service on the Jomtien bus from the airport so long waits don't happen so much for that reason.
I'm no fan of the military politically but the economy is in good shape by many measures, strong current account, low government debt to GDP. And it is these plus factors that have led to the strong THB and the decline in tourist spending.
In Bangkok, where they are less dependent on the tourist, business is fine. SET (stock market) is down, however.
The USA today raised the prospect of listing Thailand as a currency manipulator. That will limit the options for pushing down the THB.
As for tourism, it is obvious that falang tourist numbers are way down over the last decade and the idea was to have arrivals from China and India take over. But the zero dollar concept means that the former don't spend in places that benefit Thais and the economics of the zero dollar tour mean that the operators will shift to cheaper places wherever possible. The Indians can be good customers but they were not visible in any numbers last month. My hotel had stopped their (superb) Indian dishes in the buffet breakfast.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:43 pm
rogerrabbit wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:41 pm
i am curious where you got 11,000 air bnb homes for rent in Phuket cause that seems WAY high
Directly from Airbnb.

yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Everyone on Thailand knows what’s happening everyone on Thailand feels the current pain except one fucktard who’s forever grinning with no fucking idea

adders28
Expatriate

Post by adders28 »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:07 pm
PAID?? by whom

paid by TAT as you always paint such a rosey picture
Credible sources say King Vajiralongkorn’s former consort Sineenat “Koi” Wongvajirapakdi was recently moved from Klong Prem prison to the monarch’s notorious jail at a Thaweewattana Palace. But I can’t yet confirm the rumours she has died. #สาวน่าน
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

adders28 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:02 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:07 pm
PAID?? by whom

paid by TAT as you always paint such a rosey picture
Credible sources say King Vajiralongkorn’s former consort Sineenat “Koi” Wongvajirapakdi was recently moved from Klong Prem prison to the monarch’s notorious jail at a Thaweewattana Palace. But I can’t yet confirm the rumours she has died. #สาวน่าน
:facepalm:
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

Its still absolutely amazing except lakeside in pokhara and thamel. Easily avoided.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic