Expats needing a helping hand

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Terry Fishsauce
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Expats needing a helping hand

Post by Terry Fishsauce »

I have helped desperate people before who were going off the rails. Nothing I gave to them helped them in any way, it just extended their downfall a bit.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Someone please check up on my ex, I hear he’s not going so great since we split and I ceased financial support.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Jasonppk88
Tourist
Malaysia

Post by Jasonppk88 »

Well to start I have just started a job here in Phnom Penh, at first it was all great, coming over to a new country to work. But as time moves on, its really starting to get lonely and boring the longer i stay here. Is there any place i could possibly make some friends who generally speaks english ?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Best thing would be to find some expats with the same interests as you, so check out facebook. Start with PP Expats page and go from there. Check in here on the forum and see what people are doing. Some like tinkering with motors, others are saving cats. There are threads about what to do in PP.

Some suggestions. Take up Khmer lessons - if you take an evening class you'll meet expats and locals, and improving your Khmer will also improve your social life and make you feel more connected to the different culture.
Join a gym or fitness club. There is also the Hash House Harriers, which is a social club for runners that drink, or something like that, and you can also walk.
Good luck.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:55 am Best thing would be to find some expats with the same interests as you, so check out facebook. Start with PP Expats page and go from there. Check in here on the forum and see what people are doing. Some like tinkering with motors, others are saving cats. There are threads about what to do in PP.

Some suggestions. Take up Khmer lessons - if you take an evening class you'll meet expats and locals, and improving your Khmer will also improve your social life and make you feel more connected to the different culture.
Join a gym or fitness club. There is also the Hash House Harriers, which is a social club for runners that drink, or something like that, and you can also walk.
Good luck.
That's interesting and good information to know because I like saving motors and tinkering with cats.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Some Expat hangouts:

Sundance Street 172
Sundance 2 Riverside
The Garage Street 110
Larry’s bar and grill street 110
The Office Street 5

Live music:

Oscar’s on the Corner (every night at 10.30pm)
Botanico
Farm to Table
Good Times bar
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate

Post by Sweet Lemon »

rozzieoz wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:06 am Some Expat hangouts:

Sundance Street 172
Sundance 2 Riverside
The Garage Street 110
The Office Street 5
I wouldn't advise any expat in danger of going off the rails to look for advice, guidance and life coaching at Sundance Bar.
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

:beer3: why not Rory was the only barang prepared to visit the latest hospitalised guy,whilst the rest off you sit in larrys or the garage licking arse and networking. :hattip:
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I’ve met some great people at Sundance, what a nasty thing to say!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Sweet Lemon wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:29 am
rozzieoz wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:06 am Some Expat hangouts:

Sundance Street 172
Sundance 2 Riverside
The Garage Street 110
The Office Street 5
I wouldn't advise any expat in danger of going off the rails to look for advice, guidance and life coaching at Sundance Bar.
I think rozzieoz was referring to the following post rather than the OP's post388665.html#p388665
Well to start I have just started a job here in Phnom Penh, at first it was all great, coming over to a new country to work. But as time moves on, its really starting to get lonely and boring the longer i stay here. Is there any place i could possibly make some friends who generally speaks english ?
hence those above expat hangouts and live music joints as suggestions.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic