Looking for cool young teachers for a new international school

This is our job board for expats. Until ZipRecruiter and Indeed make their way to the Kingdom of Wonder, this is the best place to look for employment in Cambodia, whether you're looking to teach English, manage a 5-star hotel, volunteer, or even work for some of the big NGOs. Even digital nomads who move to Cambodia sometimes need a side gig as a TEFL instructor from time to time. Most professional expatriate jobs are in Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap and Kampot are emerging as attractive alternatives. If you're an employer or hiring manager, you're also welcome to post your job listing here for free.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Looking for cool young teachers for a new international school

Post by Ravensnest »

fazur wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:18 am friend who went to china to teach was kicked out after a year for no degree and I know Thailand also does this.

will cambodia start it too?
Cambodia is in dire need of teachers currently. I cannot see this happening in the near future, but at some point down the road (30 years maybe?), yes. My school currently has 2 teachers they cannot afford to get rid of.

I'll cut the op a break because I believe he didn't choose his words wisely. I'm hoping he wants teachers that are infectiously positive, energetic towards young learning minds who enjoy the role of teaching and strive to make learning fun for students.
Still here, in country...
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

fazur wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:18 am friend who went to china to teach was kicked out after a year for no degree and I know Thailand also does this.

will cambodia start it too?
Some countries like to think they're special and 'tighten up" or "crack down" in this manner. In the end, they just end with fewer teachers as they don't seem to realize that the schools need to offer additional incentives to attract higher quality candidates.

It's a kind of backward logic. "If we make it more difficult to teach here, better teachers will come."
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Ravensnest wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:20 pm
Cambodia is in dire need of teachers currently. I cannot see this happening in the near future, but at some point down the road (30 years maybe?), yes. My school currently has 2 teachers they cannot afford to get rid of.
How can this be? :shock:
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

sigmoid wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:48 pm
Because fully qualified teachers with degrees and experience can pick and choose wherever in the world they want to work. Whereas those without said criteria are forced to work where they can legally find employment. Hence why so many no-degree TEFLers come to these shores. Not only is Cambodia one of the few countries in the world where people can teach English legally without a degree, but the paperwork and red-tape involved is also pretty much hassle-free compared to other countries.

Not meaning to disrespect Cambodia but if you're looking to live and work as an English teacher, and had the option of any country in the world, I doubt many would choose Cambodia against the likes of Korea or Japan for example, where the pay and working conditions far exceed anything Cambodia offers. The main reason teachers do choose Cambodia is exactly because of the no-degree-no-problem policy.

Yet still, there is a huge shortage of teachers here. Good ones at least. If there was ever a move to force people to have degrees in order to obtain work permits, they'd find that the resource pool would simply dry up pretty much overnight.

*Disclaimer - I have no problem with people teaching without degrees. I have met some fantastic teachers who didn't have a degree and have also met some awful ones who did.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

xandreu wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:55 pm
Because fully qualified teachers with degrees and experience can pick and choose wherever in the world they want to work. Whereas those without said criteria are forced to work where they can legally find employment. Hence why so many no-degree TEFLers come to these shores. Not only is Cambodia one of the few countries in the world where people can teach English legally without a degree, but the paperwork and red-tape involved is also pretty much hassle-free compared to other countries.

Not meaning to disrespect Cambodia but if you're looking to live and work as an English teacher, and had the option of any country in the world, I doubt many would choose Cambodia against the likes of Korea or Japan for example, where the pay and working conditions far exceed anything Cambodia offers. The main reason teachers do choose Cambodia is exactly because of the no-degree-no-problem policy.

Yet still, there is a huge shortage of teachers here. Good ones at least. If there was ever a move to force people to have degrees in order to obtain work permits, they'd find that the resource pool would simply dry up pretty much overnight.

*Disclaimer - I have no problem with people teaching without degrees. I have met some fantastic teachers who didn't have a degree and have also met some awful ones who did.
But Cambodia's economic growth rate for 2019 was 7.1%, whereas that of South Korea and Japan was merely 2%.

It seems that schools in Cambodia could solve the teacher shortage by simply paying more and offering some benefits in order to lure qualified teachers away from those countries where growth has peaked and the cost of living is much higher.
Jim Gil
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Jim Gil »

WildA wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:19 am So whats the pay? My brat may want to leave her International School in Shanghai. Shes like 28, a millenialish political twerp with a Masters Degree in Science Education, US Teaching certifications, USA and International experience. She doesnt have any tatoos, but sometimes doesnt wash her hair and I think shes kind of a slattern, not like her father is any better, she travels all over the place diving and wears like beads and does Intstagram flashing her ass in tropical pools and all that silly tribal shit with beer and sarongs, I think shes looking to get $50K a year. I told her this probably aint the place, she should just keep sucking off the Chinese and be prepared to flee overland if the baloon goes up.
So you're not going to tell us how to hit her up on Instagram?
What a tease!
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

Jim Gil wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:18 pm
WildA wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:19 am So whats the pay? My brat may want to leave her International School in Shanghai. Shes like 28, a millenialish political twerp with a Masters Degree in Science Education, US Teaching certifications, USA and International experience. She doesnt have any tatoos, but sometimes doesnt wash her hair and I think shes kind of a slattern, not like her father is any better, she travels all over the place diving and wears like beads and does Intstagram flashing her ass in tropical pools and all that silly tribal shit with beer and sarongs, I think shes looking to get $50K a year. I told her this probably aint the place, she should just keep sucking off the Chinese and be prepared to flee overland if the baloon goes up.
So you're not going to tell us how to hit her up on Instagram?
What a tease!
That would be a new low, even for me.

Hmmmmmm....

How much $$ ya got? :dm:
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
Jim Gil
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Jim Gil »

^^^^^
Yeah at the moment money is a little bit of an issue but I will be able to claim my old age pension at the end of the year.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

sigmoid wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:21 pm
xandreu wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:55 pm

But Cambodia's economic growth rate for 2019 was 7.1%, whereas that of South Korea and Japan was merely 2%.

It seems that schools in Cambodia could solve the teacher shortage by simply paying more and offering some benefits in order to lure qualified teachers away from those countries where growth has peaked and the cost of living is much higher.
agree w/ @sigmoid on this... Cambodia is also so transient-- people come and go. if the benefits/ infrastructure was better, I think more qualified teachers would be attracted to Cambodia and stay longer. Obv there is a trade off living/enjoying Cambodia. There are other benefits for living in Cambodia - even for a short while
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

sigmoid wrote:It seems that schools in Cambodia could solve the teacher shortage by simply paying more and offering some benefits in order to lure qualified teachers away from those countries where growth has peaked and the cost of living is much higher.
Don’t think like a westerner to solve the problem. Think like a local Khmer boss. The country excels in getting donations - from foreign NGOs to direct aid from other countries to fill in the holes that a government should provide for it’s people. To the land/house/apartment owners who would rather keep rents high and empty than lower to get occupancy. To many other things.

In Cambodia, there is no teacher shortage in their minds. And will never be.

Especially if westerners keep paying Khmer for the privilege of flying overseas to teacher other Khmer for free.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic