Vietnamese bar girls & GFs of the 1960s & 1970s (many pics)

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Vietnamese bar girls & GFs of the 1960s & 1970s (many pics)

Post by Clutch Cargo »

ImageImageImageImageImage
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:38 pm ImageImageImageImageImage
Was you around in that time? Not trying to be disresprful, but would love to hear stories. War history is something i enjoy, as disturbing as how it sounds.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Soriya wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:10 pm Was you around in that time? Not trying to be disrespectful, but would love to hear stories. War history is something i enjoy, as disturbing as how it sounds.
I suppose I have an affinity with those times as my primary and secondary school years coincided with the Vietnam war and it ended the year I left school/home.

Growing up as a teenager, our family had the habit of eating an early dinner and then watching the news on TV at 7pm. And of course the Vietnam war featured in the headlines. So I grew up on a diet of this sort of news. I still have vivid memories of the monk who splashed petrol and lit himself in protest, the viet traitor guy that was shot in the head point blank with a pistol in the street and the napalm girl running away for help..

Around 1971-72, my father was offered a job on a hydro dam project in Cambodia and was all set to go and then, the civil war there got worse and the project was shut down.

Australia had a ballot system for conscription to serve in Vietnam and my older brother drew a short straw with his month of June 18th birthday and was set to go but then in 1972 the Labor government won the election and they changed the system such that anyone studying at university at the time was excluded.

I guess I have fond memories of those times despite the war...simpler times I think. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for progress and choice but it also seems more complicated these days.. Maybe I have a romantic vision of those times.

Anyway, funny how many, many years later I've decided to settle in Cambodia and make my life here.
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

A very interesting thread and brings back some memories of my time in SVN in 1969 at, initially IALSG Vung Tau then to IATF Nui Dat and finally on secondment to a US unit at Cam Rahn Bay and my involvement in operation Commando Vault over Cambodia and LAPES in to the Delta. I still think occasionally of Hien who worked in the Australian Officers Mess in the sand dunes of 1 ALSG Vung Tau. Oh to be able to wind the clock back and replay that year. But I was one of the lucky ones and emerged with only PTSD which since treated. But the effects of the Dioxins in the "defoliant agents" agents Blue, White and Orange live on and require very regular pathology. But I am still here unlike many of my then brothers in arms.

I shall revisit this.

Soi Cowboy in BKK really rocked in those days.

OML SVN 1969
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

Having mentioned my time in SVN for all of 1969, it is probably only fair to say that the US Army aviation unit that supported the Australian forces in IATF at Nui Dat most frequently was the 147th Assault Helicopter Company, better known as the Hillclimbers, flying CH 47 twin rotor medium lift helicopters. Although to be fair we were also supported by the Muleskinner, the Black Cats and the Geronimos and the Black Barons etc.

To get around to see my small number of troops in assorted FSB's - Fire Support Bases, NDPs - Night Deployment Positions and at Land Clearing sites I frequently flew with the 147th Hillclimbers and acted as a door gunner - there was no such thing as a free flight given the acute shortage of aircrew much of the time.

I was particularly friendly with the then 147th Operations officer, Captain Bud Fraser, later better known as Colonel Gordon Fraser and the Company CO Major Hunt. In fact, I still recall attending the change of command ceremony with Major Hunt handing over command to Major Meegan at the Vung Tau airbase and 147th HQ area in 1969.

This brief history of the 147th Hillclimbers may be of passing interest to some readers.

https://www.147thhillclimbers.org/hill_ ... ory1a.html

OML
mazeyG7676
Tourist
United States of America

Post by mazeyG7676 »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:23 pm Not Vietnam but Thailand, similar era...
These are some pretty nice looking ladies.
snoink
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by snoink »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic