New Years Honours List published

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

New Years Honours List published

Post by Doc67 »

The UK New Years Honours List has been published. It is full of the usual gang of civil servants from high to low, members of the establishments in various guises, plenty of the education and charity industries, plus the city.

If you have never read exactly who gets what, it is worth a look. It shows just who is valued in British Society (clue - them, not you)

Of course, for the benefit of the media and the celebrity obsessed hoi polloi, it contains a few celebrities, luvvies from the showbiz industry, a few sports people and the odd hero nurse from somewhere who is the token 'real person' so the media gets something to talk about. There will usually be a few controversial picks so they can stir up a bit of controversy. Just enough to get everyone looking in the right direction!

Anything for Nigel Farage who has completely reshaped the British political direction (against the Establishment) - NO, of course not.

Anything for the men who tackled the terrorist on London Bridge and disarmed him - NO. And that's a fucking disgrace.

Here's what they want you to look at, courtesy of The Sun (who else)

Monty Python star Michael Palin - knighthood (LUVVY)
Fashion icon Twiggy - damehood (OLD HAS BEEN)
Footballer Harry Kane - MBE (OVER PAID PRIMA DONNA)
England manager Gareth Southgate - OBE (OVER PAID MAN WITH SILLY WAISTCOAT)
Author Philip Pullman - knighthood (WHO?)
Filmmaker Christopher Nolan - CBE (SAME)
Former England cricket captain Alastair Cook - knighthood (ABSOLUTE HERO)
Ex-England rugby skipper Bill Beaumont - knighthood (FAIR ENOUGH)
Hollywood star Thandie Newton - OBE (WHO?)
Welsh Tour de France champion Geraint Thomas - promoted from MBE to OBE (SO THIS IS HIS SECOND GONG)
World War veteran Robert Lingwood - BEM (TOKEN HERO)
Downton Abbey’s Jim Carter - OBE (LUVVY)
TV presenter and naturalist Chris Packham - CBE (TV GUY)
John Clough, who campaigned against domestic violence after his daughter Jane was murdered by her ex-boyfriend - MBE (FAIR ENOUGH)
Stagecoach co-founder Ann Gloag - damehood (SCOTLANDS RICHEST WOMEN - ABOUT £330 MILLION)
Former CEO of Virgin Money Jayne-Anne Gadhia - damehood (FRIENDS WITH BILLIONAIRES - DAVOS REGULAR) https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... salesforce

Campaigner Claire Turnham - MBE (GRINDING AN AXE WITH VIAGOGO AND OTHER ONLINE TICKET RACKETS)
Scots rugby hero and charity campaigner Doddie Weir - OBE (SPORT)
Former footballer Leroy Rosenior - MBE (BLACK EX FOTBALLER - HE GETS THE LOWEST HONOUR - THE MBE)
English netball player Geva Mentor - CBE (SURE, WHY NOT...)

British divers Richard Stanton and John Volanthen - George Medal saving a stranded Thai boys football team (ABSOLUTLEY)
Fellow divers Christopher Jewell and Jason Mallinson also receive the Queen’s Gallantry Medal (ABSOLUTLEY)
Actress Sophie Okonedo - CBE (LUVVY)
Conservative MP John Redwood - knighthood (HARDLINE BREXITEER, THIS WILL GET THEM COMPLAINING)
Labour MP Alan Campbell - knighthood (22 YEARS SUCKING ON THE PUBLIC TIT - ACHIEVED NOTHING)

Here's the real list...

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... sv/preview
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: New Years Honours List published

Post by BR549 »

The UK honours list is easier to swallow than any honors list shitted out by the media and hollywood USA.
I agree that Nigel should be at the top.
Actual heroes as well.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I was told a few members from TOF are on the list so are any CEO member on it.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Watched Doddie Weir pick up his award at Sports Personality of the Year, very moving and brought a tear to my eye. A gentle giant fighting the inevitable against Motor Neurone Disease but raising millions in the process. A hero on and off the pitch. :thumb:
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:44 am British divers Richard Stanton and John Volanthen - George Medal saving a stranded Thai boys football team (ABSOLUTLEY)
Fellow divers Christopher Jewell and Jason Mallinson also receive the Queen’s Gallantry Medal (ABSOLUTLEY)
nothing for pedo guy?
which we learned this year is a jovial backslapping insult for 'old creep', possibly derived from 'pedestrian', 'pleb' etc, not that other thing
'pedestrian prince' sounds quite down to earth, so i'm sure there's no controversy or hypocrisy there

monstra mihi bona!
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

BR549 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:26 pm The UK honours list is easier to swallow than any honors list shitted out by the media and hollywood USA.
I agree that Nigel should be at the top.
Actual heroes as well.
Nigel who? They gave a gong to the worst ever DPP head and that utter prick who invented Universal Credit, Iain Duncan Smith.
What can you expect from a country headed by coke snorting eton school boys who were never taught how to spell "honest" and "truth" truly Boids Johnson has lowered the bar yet again
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Always bound to excite some and annoy others. Perhaps the honours system has had it's day?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Yerg wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:46 am Always bound to excite some and annoy others. Perhaps the honours system has had it's day?
To those of us that have received honours and been knighted it's one of our greatest life experiences. I can still remember the day I received mine as clear if it was just last nights dream.
I remember as just the two of us kneeled there with our heads bowed low as this dashing almighty figure General Mackevili rode up before us on his camel , dismounted, and places his weapon on my shoulder and said, I now Knight you SIR DUNCAN
Yes, that was the day of my life, one that you guys can only dream of.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Duncan wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:57 am
Yerg wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:46 am Always bound to excite some and annoy others. Perhaps the honours system has had it's day?
To those of us that have received honours and been knighted it's one of our greatest life experiences. I can still remember the day I received mine as clear if it was just last nights dream.
I remember as just the two of us kneeled there with our heads bowed low as this dashing almighty figure General Mackevili rode up before us on his camel , dismounted, and places his weapon on my shoulder and said, I now Knight you SIR DUNCAN
Yes, that was the day of my life, one that you guys can only dream of.
For some reason, I have visions of this :stir:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic