Right Hand Drive Cars

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Right Hand Drive Cars

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:30 pm From ur link, thanks

Shipping costs; la- sihanoukville ( $2,450)
Plus the tax
Taxes on Cambodian vehicle imports are really high, which is compounded by the way in which the value of the auto is calculated. Rather than the cost of the vehicle or its current worth, the value is based on a chart that uses engine displacement and the year of the auto to determine the import tax. As many Americans have found out, the resulting taxes don’t always make sense, often totaling more than the value of the car.
so going on the above, just driving a car from thailand would save you $2,450
2012 Mercedes-Benz C180 1.6 W204 (Year 08-14)
Updated on: 25 December 2019
1,090,000 baht or 36,140USD

VS
2013 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C 250 Luxury - $11,995 USD
Sun Valley, CA · 14 mi away

Surely Phuketrichard the saving of 25,000 USD more than makes up the $2,450 you spend on shipping by driving it from Bangkok.

if the import duties are the same regardless of where the car is from and is based on the year and engine size, importing from America is a good deal.

2016 Toyota Camry 2.0 (ปี 12-16) G Sedan - AT
Toyota camry 2.0g at สีบรอนซ์เงิน ปี2016แท้ ไมล์ 43,xxxกม.แท้ ยางใหม่4เส้น การันตีคุณภาพ ...
769,000 Baht or 25,500 usd

vs

2016 Toyota Camry LE - $13,991
Cerritos, CA · 16 mi away $11,000 USD difference less shipping of $2500= s a savings of $8500 or 1/3 of the price of the Thai vehicle
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:02 am
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:07 am
pczz wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:40 am They are not allowed to import them anymore but old ones already imported are still on the road. Many of the trucks are right hand drive for some reason i never figured out
cause many of the trucks come from Thailand, tax free
Like I said on the other thread, Cambodia should have have changed to driving on the left decades ago and cars /trucks could than be brought over from thailand rather than the states and cost much less.
the cost of new cars is rediculous in Thailand, even used are two or three times the price of one in the US. Sorry PR, Thais are out of step driving on the wrong side, they are the ones that need to change. Give me a Ford F150 made with a real steel frame any day over the new MG pick up
That hardly a fair comparison. MG are owned by an indian company and all there cars are rated as shit -
many of the American cars imnported here are total rightoffs which are glued back together. go th Phsar Depot on Saturday and watch the auctions and see the mangled wrecks come out of the containers. i am told that the reason for this is that the USA allows severely damaged cars to be exported whereas other developed countries require them to be scrapped and crushed so thy cannot become a danger to potential buyers
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

pczz wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:52 pm
pczz wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:40 am They are not allowed to import them anymore but old ones already imported are still on the road. Many of the trucks are right hand drive for some reason i never figured out
Like I said on the other thread, Cambodia should have have changed to driving on the left decades ago and cars /trucks could than be brought over from thailand rather than the states and cost much less.
the cost of new cars is rediculous in Thailand, even used are two or three times the price of one in the US. Sorry PR, Thais are out of step driving on the wrong side, they are the ones that need to change. Give me a Ford F150 made with a real steel frame any day over the new MG pick up
That hardly a fair comparison. MG are owned by an indian company and all there cars are rated as shit -
many of the American cars imnported here are total rightoffs which are glued back together. go th Phsar Depot on Saturday and watch the auctions and see the mangled wrecks come out of the containers. i am told that the reason for this is that the USA allows severely damaged cars to be exported whereas other developed countries require them to be scrapped and crushed so thy cannot become a danger to potential buyers
The cars I quoted were taken from one 2 cars (Thailand) and carguru (USA). Here in Thailand one can buy a used Mini from Japan that has been sawed in half to get around import duties as it is imported as car parts. I woudn t drive one regardless of how much I saved. MG was bought by Nanjing Automobile Group which later merged with SAIC, China's largest car manufacturer. My thought is 34% of the world drives on the wrong side while 66% drive on the right side. It only makes sense that there is a greater market of used cars that have been driven on the right side of the road. I would imagine that importing from Germany would not be much different in price as importing from America.

For U.S. Titled Vehicles

Vehicles issued an original certificate of title. For used, self-propelled vehicles issued, by any jurisdiction in the United States, a Certificate of Title or a Salvage Title that remains in force, the owner must provide to Customs the original Certificate of Title or a Certified Copy of the Certificate of Title and two complete copies of the original Certificate of Title or the Certified Copy of the original. https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import- ... or-vehicle

If a car is exported from America with a salvage title it is documented and the importer is aware that it is a salvage vehicle. Salvage vehicles are also exported from the UK and end up in Lithuania and Poland according to what I have read. https://www.motorclaimguru.co.uk/blog/w ... -in-europe Obviously the used car business worldwide lives up to it's reputation.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

And when do you get to see these documents buying a car in Cambodia? You do not. The highest categories of write off in Europe and scrapped so they are not exported to be botched and sold on as deathtraps. Some will inevitable slip throgh if the accident is not reported to the police. Even a minor crash can make a vehicle a write off if the airbags go off as they are more expensive than the value of most cars. There is no easy way of checking if an airbag is fitted and functional Some of the better cars in Cambodia that havent been cut and shut will actually have no airbags in all, which is why when yo see pictures of accidents you rarely see airbags. People are dying because of this.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

pczz wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:52 am And when do you get to see these documents buying a car in Cambodia? You do not. The highest categories of write off in Europe and scrapped so they are not exported to be botched and sold on as deathtraps. Some will inevitable slip throgh if the accident is not reported to the police. Even a minor crash can make a vehicle a write off if the airbags go off as they are more expensive than the value of most cars. There is no easy way of checking if an airbag is fitted and functional Some of the better cars in Cambodia that havent been cut and shut will actually have no airbags in all, which is why when yo see pictures of accidents you rarely see airbags. People are dying because of this.
It just gets worse here... the airbag in the reason I sit in the front on any long journey.

I am going to keep a close eye on the next crash photos to see if the air bags have deployed, but from memory I can't remember ever seeing any.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

pczz wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:52 pm
Again which "developed countries" do not allow salvaged cars to be exported. The UK allows it and those death traps are on the roads of Lithuania, Poland, Belarus and many other eastern European countries. According to Business Analytics and Cyber Security Management in Organizations salvaged automobiles from Germany were exported to Africa and the middle east instead of being scrapped when the German government paid the owners 2500 Euros to have them taken of the road. Fraud is a worldwide crime not an American monopoly.

by pczz » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:52 am

And when do you get to see these documents buying a car in Cambodia?
You do not. The highest categories of write off in Europe and scrapped so they are not exported to be botched and sold on as deathtraps. Some will inevitable slip throgh if the accident is not reported to the police. Even a minor crash can make a vehicle a write off if the airbags go off as they are more expensive than the value of most cars. There is no easy way of checking if an airbag is fitted and functional Some of the better cars in Cambodia that havent been cut and shut will actually have no airbags in all, which is why when yo see pictures of accidents you rarely see airbags. People are dying because of this.

If Cambodia does not require that the history of an automobile be disclosed at purchase, it has nothing to do with the automobile's country of origin nor whether the vehicle is left or right-hand drive. Airbags cost approx $1000 to $1500 each to replace. the airbag sensor is about $500 to replace. Obviously the value of the used automobiles you look at is very, very low. https://repairpal.com › estimator › air-bag-control-module-replacement-cost, https://m.carsdirect.com › car-safety › airbag-repair-costs-prices-for-commo...

Your assertation that MG are owned by an indian company and all there (sic) cars are rated as shit is also false. Mercedes Maybach S500 is the most expensive car to be manufactured in India. It is produced at the Chakan facility near Pune. Furthermore, this is the only place outside Germany to produce the S500. It sells for $167,000 USD.
Jaguar Land Rover has been a subsidiary of Tata Motors since they founded it for the acquisition of Jaguar Cars Limited and Land Rover from Ford in 2008. A jaguar xk120 Alloy Roadster will set you back $495.000 USD. Mg is owned by a Chinese firm.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

if you use autocheck it will tell you if the car was in an accident, if the air bag deployed, correct mileage, etc etc .
all up to the date it left the states
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:56 am

Again which "developed countries" do not allow salvaged cars to be exported. The UK allows it and those death traps are on the roads of Lithuania, Poland, Belarus and many other eastern European countries. According to Business Analytics and Cyber Security Management in Organizations salvaged automobiles from Germany were exported to Africa and the middle east instead of being scrapped when the German government paid the owners 2500 Euros to have them taken of the road. Fraud is a worldwide crime not an American monopoly.

by pczz » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:52 am

And when do you get to see these documents buying a car in Cambodia?
You do not. The highest categories of write off in Europe and scrapped so they are not exported to be botched and sold on as deathtraps. Some will inevitable slip throgh if the accident is not reported to the police. Even a minor crash can make a vehicle a write off if the airbags go off as they are more expensive than the value of most cars. There is no easy way of checking if an airbag is fitted and functional Some of the better cars in Cambodia that havent been cut and shut will actually have no airbags in all, which is why when yo see pictures of accidents you rarely see airbags. People are dying because of this.

If Cambodia does not require that the history of an automobile be disclosed at purchase, it has nothing to do with the automobile's country of origin nor whether the vehicle is left or right-hand drive. Airbags cost approx $1000 to $1500 each to replace. the airbag sensor is about $500 to replace. Obviously the value of the used automobiles you look at is very, very low. https://repairpal.com › estimator › air-bag-control-module-replacement-cost, https://m.carsdirect.com › car-safety › airbag-repair-costs-prices-for-commo...

Your assertation that MG are owned by an indian company and all there (sic) cars are rated as shit is also false. Mercedes Maybach S500 is the most expensive car to be manufactured in India. It is produced at the Chakan facility near Pune. Furthermore, this is the only place outside Germany to produce the S500. It sells for $167,000 USD.
Jaguar Land Rover has been a subsidiary of Tata Motors since they founded it for the acquisition of Jaguar Cars Limited and Land Rover from Ford in 2008. A jaguar xk120 Alloy Roadster will set you back $495.000 USD. Mg is owned by a Chinese firm.

1) here are the regulations for uk and europe. You cannot get an export license for a cat a or b car and or parts froi[media]https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/know ... write-off/[/media] it
2) prior to the Chinese involvement there was an arrangement in place with TATA (pre2004). tata is an Indian company. I apologis that was unaware that a chines company now own. The MG produced during TATA involvement were hammered by the press as crude and unreliable.
3) Jaguar are made in the UK and have a good reputation. Land Rover is a joke. Most brits would not have one as a gift. Unreliable, expensive but a bit of a cult following nontheless. Sales have slumped. They are also made in UK. Would I trust a chines car coming out of an Indian factory? Ask a BMW fan. They used to make BMW in South Africa and they were so badly put together people used to ask to see proof it was built in germany. Just because something is expensive does not mean it is good, it just means good marketing has tapped into a gullible pool of consumers.
4) cost of airbags. In general an accident will set off all the airbags. Here is an american guide to what needs repalcign and cost including labour. A moderate accident can set you over 10k in a modern car with a full set of airbags. that is about the price fo a 5 year old family car in the Uk, and the insurance will scarp it rather than repair it. You themn have what looks like a perfectly useabe vehicle but it would kill you in an accident. [media]https://cartreatments.com/airbag-replacement-cost/[/media]
Roadie
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Roadie »

There's no shortage of late model, RHdrive, large cars around Battambang. Mainly ex Thailand military vehicles. Somehow they must be allowed. Makes the highways even more dangerous, I think, as they try to get out far enough to see for overtaking.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Will an OBDII scanner pick up most of the major problems? Or do the diagnostics get disabled on the rebuild?

That and a carfax or other service to pick up accident history should help a long way in letting the buyer beware.

In Texas, totaled cars get a salvage title. Just means unsafe to drive in Texas. Perfectly safe for Cambodia.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic