Avoiding a R.T. ticket back to Philippines!

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
tireswang
Expatriate
United States of America

Avoiding a R.T. ticket back to Philippines!

Post by tireswang »

I want to bring my Filipina Wife to Live here. I am told I will have to purchase a R.T. ticket in order to bring her here, in spite of the fact that I have a resident visa here...I am a tight arse xpat on a budget. How do I get "around" buying an unwanted and unnecessary R.T. ticket back to Pi. for her?.. Also what barricades will I have to break in order for her to Remain here with me? Any and all suggestions and info appreciated! :o
~
stupid-barang
Expatriate

Re: Avoiding a R.T. ticket back to Philippines!

Post by stupid-barang »

Have you never heard of a refundable ticket?
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

So, your wife is going to have what kind of visa?
You can buy a throw away bus ticket for $10 to HCM.
You might buy 2 so it looks like you are travelling together to Vietnam after 30 days in Cambodia.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

There is actually no regulation in Cambodia requiring a return ticket but some airlines can be obnoxious about it. Often a return ticket is only marginally more expensive than a one way ticket. The bus ticket or refundable onwards ticket are possible solutions if you can not find a more co-operative airline. I once went to the airport with a one way ticket and the agent refused boarding. I told the agent that I would buy an onwards ticket on the spot then immediately have it refunded. She said that would be fine - as long as I had an onwards ticket at the moment of check in. It just shows how ridiculous these people can be.

Same rules apply to Filipinos as anybody else wanting to live here - Ordinary visa followed by extensions of type G, B, or R.
joelightcloud
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by joelightcloud »

You have no choice. Unless she is a registered OFW (overseas Filipino Worker) they will not allow her to leave the Philippines on a one way ticket. As mentioned above, this is not a requirement subject to entry in to Cambodia. The Philippines is very strict on this matter, they will not let her leave Manila. If you want to bring her you need to 'bite the bullet'.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

joelightcloud wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:32 am You have no choice. Unless she is a registered OFW (overseas Filipino Worker) they will not allow her to leave the Philippines on a one way ticket. As mentioned above, this is not a requirement subject to entry in to Cambodia. The Philippines is very strict on this matter, they will not let her leave Manila. If you want to bring her you need to 'bite the bullet'.
met a guy in the philippines had similar trouble getting his girlfriend to thailand for xmas. They were stopped trying to leave at the airport because she did not have the paperwork. He was told to marry her, but that also requires numerous hoops and a lot of time. You might want to ask a philipino living here already if they know of a way round it. If not you can probably persuade someone to give her a job offer here and she could register in Philipines but i dont know how long it takes. Plan B you could set up a business here and then give her a job offer yourself.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

Cebupacificair has stopped flying into Siem Reap and now it is only Philippines Airlines to PP which costs and arm and a leg. Depending on your scheduling two tickets (in and outbound) into Ho Chi Minh City or BKK might be your best bet. Both countries demand outbound flights but Vietnam much less stringent. Wait for a promotion. I got a flight from a southern province to Manila and on to BKK for 60 USD, carry-on only.

There should be a new year's sale or christmas sale. So far nothing on Cebupacific yet. Keep your eyes open.

In case she is from DVO or CEB flights to SIN might be an alternative and then one on to Cambodia.
tireswang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by tireswang »

Definitely would like to avoid Manila...and yes I/we will be departing from Cebu. It was Good Thing that Cebu Air had going on when they had direct flights from Manila to Siem Reap. Dreading Air Asia experience and 12 hour layover in Malaysia.
~
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

tireswang wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:40 pm I want to bring my Filipina Wife to Live here. I am told I will have to purchase a R.T. ticket in order to bring her here, in spite of the fact that I have a resident visa here...I am a tight arse xpat on a budget. How do I get "around" buying an unwanted and unnecessary R.T. ticket back to Pi. for her?.. Also what barricades will I have to break in order for her to Remain here with me? Any and all suggestions and info appreciated! :o
There is no 'around'. please follow the well published law and other articles on here. tight arse or not the law makes no difference. we dun need cheaters or liars here. get yr visas in order like the rest of us please
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Mishmash wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:09 pm There is no 'around'. please follow the well published law and other articles on here. tight arse or not the law makes no difference. we dun need cheaters or liars here. get yr visas in order like the rest of us please
cheaters and liars? thats about 50% of the existing expat population :stir:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic