$5 Million Apartment a Launchpad to London High Society for Niece of HE

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

$5 Million Apartment a Launchpad to London High Society for Niece of HE

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Hun Chantha, niece of Cambodian Prime Minister HE, and her husband Gerald Dupuis, a Belgian-Cambodian investment banker and heir, having dinner aboard the Orient Express.

By Jack Davies
2019-12-20

Yune stood accused of swindling “a husband and wife duo from London” out of $198,000, allegedly having failed to deliver eight Hermes Birkin handbags in return for the hefty sum.

One day the niece of Cambodia's prime minister is striding across New York's Brooklyn Bridge in moody shades and hot pants. Next we see her in a beret, posing beside her banker husband in Venice. Then the photogenic couple are seen dressed for dinner aboard the Orient Express.

In September 2011, Chantha and Dupuis bought a £3.95 million ($5.18 million) apartment spread over the top two floors of a 19th Century townhouse across the street from the Zambian High Commission and one minute’s walk from London’s famous Hyde Park. Two and a half years later they would snap up the basement flat in the same building for just shy of £1 million ($1.3 million).

In June 2017, she was back at 5 Hertford Street, sharing a table with "Mean Girls" star Lindsay Lohan. The club – once dubbed London’s “most secretive” – regularly hosts royalty and billionaires, as well as anyone else that can afford its reported £1,800 ($2,361) annual membership fees. But Chantha and Dupuis' brushes with celebrity have not been without problems.

In October 2017, she found herself sat within touching distance of arena-tour comedian Jimmy Carr during a boozy lunch at Mayfair’s “34” restaurant – where bottles of wine can cost up to £20,000 ($26,233) a pop.

It is unclear whether Chantha was accompanied by her husband to the lunch. If she was, however, he and Carr might have had something to talk about: they were both clients of the same failed tax avoidance scheme, dubbed Rushmore.

Chantha and Dupuis did not respond to a detailed request for comment. However, the hobnobbing with celebrities and high-definition documentation of their ritzy existence fits a pattern. According to “Moneyland” author Oliver Bullough, second generation members of ruling elites in autocratic countries often ape celebrity culture.

full https://www.rfa.org/english/news/cambod ... 00941.html
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: $5 Million Apartment a Launchpad to London High Society for Niece of HE

Post by angkorjohn2 »

A nice find KfH , wonder which of her parents are related to HE.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:39 pm A nice find KfH , wonder which of her parents are related to HE.
Her father is his brother.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

$198,000 Hermes Birkin handbags

$26,233 bottles of wine

$5.18 million apartment

Reading stories like this makes me sick. If some niece is flossing like this......just imagine the obscene wealth floating around in the upper echelon.

Reminds me of a great post.
Arget wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:44 am I am in awe of how a third world country can have so many millionaires per square meter yet still be so undeveloped and in need of world aid from any nation that makes contact.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Brody wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:40 pm $198,000 Hermes Birkin handbags

$26,233 bottles of wine

$5.18 million apartment

Reading stories like this makes me sick. If some niece is flossing like this......just imagine the obscene wealth floating around in the upper echelon.

Reminds me of a great post.
Arget wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:44 am I am in awe of how a third world country can have so many millionaires per square meter yet still be so undeveloped and in need of world aid from any nation that makes contact.
There is a great comment at the emd of the article i assume it is tongue in cheek.

Anonymous Reader
This is a real success story of a poor young girl from a poor country to become a rich among the richest of the world.Combodian people must thank Chantha Hun to make their country known in all over the world. Hurray, hurray for Chantha
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:47 pm
There is a great comment at the emd of the article i assume it is tongue in cheek.

Anonymous Reader
This is a real success story of a poor young girl from a poor country to become a rich among the richest of the world.Combodian people must thank Chantha Hun to make their country known in all over the world. Hurray, hurray for Chantha
The sad part is, is that it also wouldn't surprise me in the least if this was a genuine sentiment from some local.

Part of living in a "face" culture is the love and adoration of pretty things, expensive things, showy things etc. to the exclusion of any critical thought about the festering rot, eating away at this society's soul.

Some parking attendant helps a spit-shined Bentley sedan shoehorn its way in front of Brown's and he's probably thrilled and thinks the car is 'saart'. Never considering the underlying sickness that is evident when he's making $80 a month whilst incomprehensibly lavish possessions overflow all around him as Bong Thoms come and go....doing apparently very little with their day.

Certain echelons should be very weary of the hoi polloi becoming enlightened to the immense chasm of wealth disparity and asking serious questions about their station in life.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Sadly Brody you are correct, i hope it is tongue in cheek, but all too often you witness those lower down the chaon take pride in the uber rich. A sickness not unique to cambodia, the push back from poor people against proposed taxes on billionnaires is a symptom in America as well.

But yes national pride gets in the way. I remember reading some famous singers rant against that youtube tinder idiot last week. About insulting women and the country, whilst not acknowledging that yes this is a filthy county where rich and poor alike will toss garbage without care. It is there for all to see. But how dare any iranian creep point that out.

Yes if others become enlightened it will be interestng, for now as they say

"in the valley of the blind the one ey...."

Eh...oh..actually they are
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:14 pm Sadly Brody you are correct, i hope it is tongue in cheek, but all too often you witness those lower down the chaon take pride in the uber rich. A sickness not unique to cambodia, the push back from poor people against proposed taxes on billionnaires is a symptom in America as well.

But yes national pride gets in the way. I remember reading some famous singers rant against that youtube tinder idiot last week. About insulting women and the country, whilst not acknowledging that yes this is a filthy county where rich and poor alike will toss garbage without care. It is there for all to see. But how dare any iranian creep point that out.

Yes if others become enlightened it will be interestng, for now as they say

"in the valley of the blind the one ey...."

Eh...oh..actually they are
Has Argot wrote - I am in awe of how a third world country can have so many millionaires per square meter yet still be so undeveloped and in need of world aid from any nation that makes contact.

I read somewhere, in Cambodia they only quote those millionaires by the means of they have $30 million, so how many per square meter in our terms, ether way the rich keep their wealth and countries give aid.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kahuna
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kahuna »

Search Google for "Reuters Investigates - Khmer Riche" and there is a very good article on who in the ruling elite have second passports for foreign countries, multi million dollar real estate overseas etc. Even if HE was ever to lose power he won't be short of a dollar nor will his extended family. In the meantime they will just keep sending it overseas.
In the KOW meantime the poor will stay poor no matter how much foreign aid is provided by well meaning governments and ngo's but that's worthy of another topic altogether.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Kahuna wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:03 pm Search Google for "Reuters Investigates - Khmer Riche" and there is a very good article on who in the ruling elite have second passports for foreign countries, multi million dollar real estate overseas etc. Even if HE was ever to lose power he won't be short of a dollar nor will his extended family. In the meantime they will just keep sending it overseas.
In the KOW meantime the poor will stay poor no matter how much foreign aid is provided by well meaning governments and ngo's but that's worthy of another topic altogether.
Even if. I think you are still thinking like a tourist .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic