ATM tourist advice

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: ATM tourist advice

Post by shnoukieBRO »

No mb.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

shnoukieBRO wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:01 pmNo mb.
Not you, @pczz might be referring to Maybank. They work for some Visa cards but not others.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

I suggest you bring US dollars in pristine condition.
I use my USA mastercard debit card for withdraws all the time..ABA and my Khmer bank Canadia.
The negative factor is a large charge..double whammy..withdrawl fee..I take $400us out 2 times a month. I would not do small withdrawls as that would be a big fee for little cash.
If you go over to Thailand, especially by land, be aware they may want to see if you have enough CASH on you to support yourself...not plastic..
I know there is a risk carrying cash especially if you are living in hostels and cheap guesthouses.
ATMs have the cards they accept posted on the frobt of the machine.
I would advise using an ATM at a bank.
stroodsue
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by stroodsue »

BR549 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:19 pm I suggest you bring US dollars in pristine condition.
I use my USA mastercard debit card for withdraws all the time..ABA and my Khmer bank Canadia.
The negative factor is a large charge..double whammy..withdrawl fee..I take $400us out 2 times a month. I would not do small withdrawls as that would be a big fee for little cash.
If you go over to Thailand, especially by land, be aware they may want to see if you have enough CASH on you to support yourself...not plastic..
I know there is a risk carrying cash especially if you are living in hostels and cheap guesthouses.
Flying IN to Thailand first, then fly to Cambodia KOS.
So hopefully not an issue with the cash thing to there. My other half been before and he's saying I'm worrying too much! 🤪
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

stroodsue wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:00 pm
BR549 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:19 pm I suggest you bring US dollars in pristine condition.
So hopefully not an issue with the cash thing to there. My other half been before and he's saying I'm worrying too much! 🤪
Sue, I have arrived in Thailand and PP at least 20-25 times each. I've never been asked to produce money or proof of funds. Your landing cards will/may ask for place of stay and you may need proof of return journey. Not once have I ever had to produce any of these. It's not to say you won't, just highly unlikely. I concur with your other half. You are worrying too much IMHO :hattip:
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Funny thing about major banking organizations, they have web sites. Type in Phnom Penh in the search bar and presto, and 100 ATM PP listings pop up.

You're welcome.
You’re never far from a Mastercard, Maestro or Cirrus ATM
https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consume ... t-atm.html
stroodsue
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by stroodsue »

Yerg wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:48 am
stroodsue wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:00 pm
Sue, I have arrived in Thailand and PP at least 20-25 times each. I've never been asked to produce money or proof of funds. Your landing cards will/may ask for place of stay and you may need proof of return journey. Not once have I ever had to produce any of these. It's not to say you won't, just highly unlikely. I concur with your other half. You are worrying too much IMHO :hattip:
Thanks Yerg!

We've got place of stay for Thailand and first 3 places in Cambodia and return flights booked for February...
So, I will start to calm down now 🙄 it's all just so, foreign to me haha

I've never been anywhere quite like it and do t want anything going wrong in the first 2 weeks!

Cheers
Jlucas
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Jlucas »

I'm a canadian here in sihanoukville now and my visa hasn't worked for the last month at Canadia bank and ABA... I called visa and the said it should work and no idea why ... however iv been able to pull from my visa debit with no issues
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Jlucas wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:47 pm I'm a canadian here in sihanoukville now and my visa hasn't worked for the last month at Canadia bank and ABA... I called visa and the said it should work and no idea why ... however iv been able to pull from my visa debit with no issues
You mean it would not accept your visa credit card? if you do not mind carrying cash in ost cases it is better to bring your currency to Cambodia and change it is the local bank where you will get a much better rate than a home. Acleda skim 1.5% off the midmarket rate on Euro and GBP. UK banks charge anything up to 5% because they give you a crap rate. Most international debit cards like Revolut have limits on cash woithdrawals so they are not much help
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic