H2O Media Admits Offering Fake TripAdvisor Reviews for $200

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

H2O Media Admits Offering Fake TripAdvisor Reviews for $200

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The owner of H2O Media, Steven Vaile, has admitted that the copy of the email message floating around the last few days offering fake positive reviews on Trip Advisor is in fact genuine.

He is also an investor in Mad Monkey Hostels.

The email copy floating around offered businesses 10 positive reviews on Trip Advisor for $200 via PayPal, and was signed by Steven Vaile.

This obviously got many guesthouses and other businesses that compete with Mad Monkey very upset.

The email was posted around on social media, but many people were sceptical about it authenticity.

Here is the email that had been sent around:
Hi XXXX,

Hello everyone, we hope you are having a great weekend. As anyone in the hotel industry knows great reviews on Trip Adviser really help boost your business, but not all guests will leave a review of your hotel.

Getting reviews written for Trip Adviser to bulk up your views is a normal practice in the industry and whilst completely against the Trip Adviser Terms of Service it may well be how your competitors are getting many more reviews that you are.

Another reason for getting paid reviews will be to bury reviews that are unfair or fake negative reviews. It is just a standard fact in the business that competitors will often buy negative reviews for your business, or you will have a customer that gives you a terrible and unfair review for the smallest of slip ups.

So if you need more reviews or if you need more reviews to bury a negative review on page 2 of the review results then please send us an email.

We offer 10 well written, positive reviews or your hotel to increase your review rating and bury those negative reviews that are impacting your business.

Our price for 10 reviews is $200.00 - the reviews are posted over a 14 day period, all of the reviews are from real people, with active and in good standing trip adviser accounts.

If you do not need this service then please save this email - you will certainly need it at some point in the future. Also these reviews will actually be from people that have visited your hotel, some who will stay with you.

Buying reviews is completely against Trip Adviser Terms of service - but if it is an untoward agency that is doing it for you then you can claim innocence and simply ask for the spurious reviews to be removed.

10 Postive Reviews from real people $200.00 - Keep it in your inbox

;-)

Payment by PAYPAL only.

Regards

Kind Regards

Steven Vaile

Chairman of H2O Media Corporation

H2O Media Corporation, 26,, Street 302, Phnom Penh, Phnom Penh 12302, CAMBODIA

Steven Vaile has responded to the allegations on Facebook, saying that yes, they came from his company, yes it was a real offer, and yes he was aware of it but it was no longer a service H2O Media offered.

Judge for yourself:

Dear XXXXXX, H2O is a company that I own in Dubai, this email list is configured in awebber to send automated emails out to subscribers on a hospitality marketing email list automatically every so many days after signing up.

I was unaware that this email was still configured in the system, it was configured four or five years ago. The net net is that H2O Media no longer offer this service - mainly because it no longer works due to the social graphing on Facebook that tripadvisor use for review authentication. In fact we never delivered this service to any customers as I am aware. However tripadvisor is still full of false reviews - proof can be found in this recent article about the fine it has received in Italy. I have spoken to the team in Dubai and they have confirmed they have deleted the mailing list and no longer offer this service and in fact never delivered this service.

In terms of review boosting - I would not suggest anyone do this, it is
more than likely your tripadvisor ranking will simply be reset to zero.
That is not to say that I still do not think that Tripadvisor is not subject to fake reviews it absolutely is.

In terms of has Mad Monkey ever entered into review boosting or posting fake reviews either via H2O or anyone else - the answer is no, there are such a large volume of customers that leave real reviews, we have however had many fake and malicious reviews posted that are clearly fake that trip advisor has never removed even after speaking to the content integrity team at Trip Advisor.

I hope that clarifies everything. In retrospect the service offering from H2O was a bad idea - but never implemented, that is not to say that there are not fake reviews all over tripadvisor of course - there absolutely are as these links will show you. Kind Regards

Steve Vaile

http://tripadvisorwarning.com/
http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2014- ... se-reviews

Well XXXXXX - feedback from our hotel customers in Dubai at the time was that they were suffering from a lot of fake and malicious reviews about their business - the sales team at H2O saw it as a way of delivering more services and expanding our services to hotels. However soon after Trip Advisor started using the social graph to authenticate many of their reviews so it became less of a problem - so it was dropped and never followed up with although this was obviously still configured in the Awebber system. Now it has been removed. I am more than happy to meet you in person to address any issue or concern you may have if you would like. Cheers

Dear XXXXXX - Eric no longer works for H2O, the email is an automated system. H2O is effectively a wrapped up company that survives from its maintenance base in Dubai. We have deleted the auto-responder. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

If you do 100% know of businesses that are falsely writing their own reviews then I suggest you report them to tripadvisor.com - however I would not suggest posting it to Facebook as accusing a company in Cambodia of these types of business practices without proof could potentially land you in court and facing a hefty fine for slander.

What I can tell you unequivocally is that Mad Monkey do not buy reviews - we do not need to. We get enough good, bad, average and fake negative ones without needing to buy them. I am more than happy to meet you face to face should you wish to discuss this further or should you have any further concerns . Many Thanks

PS - more in depth and detailed information about just how fallible TripAdvisor is can be found here http://tripadvisor-warning.com/

I did not accuse you of anything XXXXXX - Please re-read the post. If you want to throw around statements in the same way you do on here I would honestly prefer to speak to you in person and not on Facebook. You are right we had very few subscribers to this list, less than 40. I have more than one business, I am happy to meet you to discuss further. Please PM me and we can arrange a meeting. Thanks

Posts by other people in that conversation that show the relationship between Steven Vaile and H2O Media and Mad Monkey Hostels, which he doesn't dispute:
Seems like H2O Media Corporation has been contracted to undertake work for MAD MONKEY HOSTELS. Anyone have a contact in Mad Monkey to verify any of this information? And for a company that "build rock solid websites" on the Joomla platform to lack the ability to change a favicon is a joke!

Apparently Steve Vaile is an Investor Mad Monkey Hostels June 2011 – Present (3 years 7 months) Asia
I am responsible for providing leadership coaching, mentoring, marketing & communications, business development and strategy consultancy for a growing hospitality business with a young team that are focused on the youth tourism sector in Asia. The company operates the largest youth travel business by number of beds in Cambodia and a number of F&B venues in both Phnom Penh and Siem Reap. Mad Monkey Hostels is a truly socially responsible business that generates a sustainable income not only for the staff and management team but for the community it serves in Cambodia.

A big thanks to Notorious Ned for finding all this! !
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: H2O Media Admits Offering Fake TripAdvisor Reviews for $

Post by General Mackevili »

While maybe not "illegal," many people would find his offer of fake Trip Advisor reviews very unethical.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

Pretty sure you can hire Indian spammers for a lot less...
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

Didn't some tourist/Khmer restaurant here in Phnom Penh get discredited for faking reviews?
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Garry.Crabtree wrote:Didn't some tourist/Khmer restaurant here in Phnom Penh get discredited for faking reviews?
Karma and it's neighbor. If I recall correctly. (And Romdeng I think). Frenchie behind it all.
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

to be honest, in the past I came across the mad monkey hype and read reviews, not on tripadvisor, perhaps it was their own site?
I found them totally fake sounding...

the ones on TA from yesterday, I don't believe either...
“My favourite place EVER!”

5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I have stayed in Mad Monkey off/on for the last 4 months and I have been all over Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam & Laos. By far this is my favourite place EVER!

Comfortable beds, great food and amazing staff. I wish I could write all the staffs names down as there is not one that I don't truly LOVE as they honestly make me feel like I am part of the family! But to name a few it would be, Sam, Mono and Borrum from the roof top bar, always have a smile on they're face and make me laugh!

MAD MONKEY is a must stay!!!!!

Room Tip: Any room of dorm s amazing... think I have stayed in them all haha
lol
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

Username Taken wrote:
Garry.Crabtree wrote:Didn't some tourist/Khmer restaurant here in Phnom Penh get discredited for faking reviews?
Karma and it's neighbor. If I recall correctly. (And Romdeng I think). Frenchie behind it all.
Really?

I went to Karma on the riverfront once. I was surpassed they actually had a menu, I thought you just turned up and they give you what you deserved.
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Garry.Crabtree wrote:I went to Karma on the riverfront once. I was surpassed they actually had a menu, I thought you just turned up and they give you what you deserved.
Like the Mystics Guesthouse - you know where.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

I reckon its almost crossed the line from unethical to immoral. Basically he says it was ok 5 years ago when TA and FB weren't linked, but now its not ok because they are and someone will find out that its bullshit. Darwin awards for hospitality industry winner?!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic