Crossing from Vietnam to Phnom Penh!

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Crossing from Vietnam to Phnom Penh!

Post by HappyChappy »

hanno wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:40 am Really, visa information is easy enough to find. Anyway, Brits get a 14-day visa exemption when arriving into Vietnam. Do note that you cannot go back to VN for 30 days after the first visa extension.

Bus companies will take care of the process. Personally, I prefer traveling up to Chau Doc and taking the boat from there to Vietnam.
He leads by telling me the tread isn't worth while.......... then ends with a GEM of good advise.

I shal think of you on my magical boat journey good sir!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

hanno wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:40 am Really, visa information is easy enough to find. Anyway, Brits get a 14-day visa exemption when arriving into Vietnam. Do note that you cannot go back to VN for 30 days after the first visa extension.

Bus companies will take care of the process. Personally, I prefer traveling up to Chau Doc and taking the boat from there to Vietnam.
Sorry hanno I am a little confused, traveling up to Chau Doc, That's in Vietnam and you take a boat to Vietnam. Would you like to explain a little more?
Can I get a bus or boat from Phnom Penh to Chau Doc, and from there by boat where can I travel to?

Always "hope" but never "expect".
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I think the original request was for information on getting from Vietnam to PP, something I have probably done more than 50 times in either direction. I usually travel to Chau Doc from HCMC by car/bus, spend a night in Chau Doc and then take 7am boat to PP. Last week, I took the 13:00 boat from PP to Chau Doc, spent the night, took a bus to Can Tho airport and flew to Ha Noi.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Not sure how easy it will be to change any Dong into USD when you leave Saigon but there are money changers at the border and their rates were not too extortionate. Tahe small usd notes $1,$5 they are radily accepted in Vietnam.
Dont change your money in UK, you willget a much better rate in a Cambodian bank or a proper exchange company here like Ly Hour. On average changing Pounds to USD here will knock you only about 1.5%. Your Uk banks will sting you. For example today ACLEDA bank will givew you about $1.29 for a pound, spot rate is about 1.31 and most uk banks will be about 1.26 (source https://transferwise.com
Of course the pound is up and down like a whores drawers at the moment depending on whether Barmy Boris is getting laid or not. he really needs a hormone check :-)
hiway5
Expatriate
Spain

Post by hiway5 »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:18 am

Sorry hanno I am a little confused, traveling up to Chau Doc, That's in Vietnam and you take a boat to Vietnam. Would you like to explain a little more?
Can I get a bus or boat from Phnom Penh to Chau Doc, and from there by boat where can I travel to?

Capitol bus office sell tickets for the boat from PP. Or you can buy them down at the river near the night market. There are a few different companies. Futa bus, bright orange buses, run from there to HCMC.
Lots of tour trips along the Mekong Delta from Chau Doc
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

He can easily change his left over dong at the market in PP at minimal loss. The loss will be less than what he will spend when paying with USD. Plus small USD bills have a lower value (like in Thailand) while in PP it is does not matter. I found the PP market rates a little better than the bank rates but not always. I dont understand when and why this changes but then shopping around is no big deal.
As for transport: The boat trip is not likely to be the best way. First one needs to go to Chau Doc and depending on your location in HCMC, like district 1, it involves another transfer. Then comes the transfer in Chau Doc, usually with a night in a local hotel. Better take one of the buses going from HCMC district 1 all the way into PP. Saves you a lot of time, a lot as in many many hours, and also a bit of money. Capitol ticket is 10 USD. Other companies wont be much more and there are lots of options. The best choice could be the company that drops you off close to your location in PP.
I would not take a noon departure as you might easily end up in a rush hour just past the border when the textile factory workers end their shift. THis results in a 1 hour delay.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

HappyChappy wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:01 am So!

I've just booked a flight into Ho Chi Minh for mid Jan with the intention of staying for a week and just getting a cheap bus into Phnom Penh from there just before Feb.

I think I need to get an E-type VISA when crossing over to Cambodia, and I get the impression a UK citizen doesn't need a VISA for Vietnam when staying for less than a couple of weeks.

Does anyone see any flaws in my plan there? I heard that the SE Asians can be a bit tricky with the VISA process when not followed correctly!! really want as smooth a transition as possible!

May thanks in advance for your helpful and not at all cynical responses.

Much love x

This has to be one of the easiest trips in travel. You will have no problem whatsoever. Saigon to Phnom Penh will be a breeze. The only issue I can see is that the bus company may try to add on an additional charge for your visa at the border.

The boat from Chau Doc is an alternative route that will take more time as you have to go to Chau Doc and take the boat. Boat is more expensive, about $28 as I remember. But it could be more fun, or better if you are going to the Delta.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic