Extending visa with a new passport

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
randomx
Tourist

Extending visa with a new passport

Post by randomx »

I'm picking up a new passport in a few days. The old passport (with an ordinary visa that expires in a few weeks) will be stamped with holes by my embassy when picking up the new one.

Is it possible to extend my visa with the new passport? Do I have to transfer the visa from the old passport first?

Thanks!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Extending visa with a new passport

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Simple, you just submit both passports when you apply for your Visa EOS, the EOS will be placed in your new passport.

When you next exit the country you will need to present both passports as your Entry Stamp will be in old passport, they will put Exit Stamp in new passport.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Using a visa, Extending visa with a new passport

Post by Freightdog »

In the hope that Cambodia doesn't deviate too far from the norm of the rest of the world- all of my visas have generally been valid for the term of the issued Visa, so long as a valid passport is submitted. A valid passport must be used on which to issue a visa initially.

An example is my US visas which are ten year visas. So the passport will generally expire before the visa.
Once expired, that passport still has to be carried to exercise the visa, and the new passport must be carried anyway. How that affects an extension of an already active visa will be interesting to know. I wonder if the same criteria won't be applied to a visa extension?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I was held up entering from Vietnam one time because I had only a newish passport with a multiple entry EOS but no entry stamp. I told them some BS about my previous passport being taken away by my government and eventually they let me pass.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Your embassy should check for any visa still valid, and not puncture those, but you might spell it out for them when you hand over your old passport to avoid trouble.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Using a visa, Extending visa with a new passport

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:03 pm In the hope that Cambodia doesn't deviate too far from the norm of the rest of the world- all of my visas have generally been valid for the term of the issued Visa, so long as a valid passport is submitted. A valid passport must be used on which to issue a visa initially.

An example is my US visas which are ten year visas. So the passport will generally expire before the visa.
Once expired, that passport still has to be carried to exercise the visa, and the new passport must be carried anyway. How that affects an extension of an already active visa will be interesting to know. I wonder if the same criteria won't be applied to a visa extension?
A Cambodian visa will only be given out if your passport has at least three months validity left after the visa expires, so your visa can never outlive your passport's expiry date. If you exchange your passport before the visa expires and show both old and new passport at Cambodian immigration there will be no problem. Not sure if they will accept a punctured visa but I can imagine that will cause trouble because the full info might not be visible anymore.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:40 pm I was held up entering from Vietnam one time because I had only a newish passport with a multiple entry EOS but no entry stamp. I told them some BS about my previous passport being taken away by my government and eventually they let me pass.
must have kissed the blarney stone..

anyway its all online nowadays.... they just look it up.. even in cambodia
jimpson
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jimpson »

I have been able to use the Cambodian visa in the old passport multiple times until its expiry date and submitted both old and new passport when the EOS visa was due for renewal.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic