Types of Scams Locals Run on Expat Business owners

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Types of Scams Locals Run on Expat Business owners

Post by Multipox »

We are already discussing the electricity bill scam in another thread. It basically comes down to: pay the EDC not the landlord and check the reliability of the meter.

What are the other scams that are run on expats who want to start businesses.

KOW scams I have heard of include employees taking inventory out the back door.

any others?
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Types of Scams Locals Run on Expat Business owners

Post by John Bingham »

What electricity scam? That vague nonsensical second-hand report doesn't count.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

They're not "scams" by the evil locals targeted at foreigners. They're simply the typical difficulties and hurdles that every business owner, local or foreign, faces when running a business here.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:41 pm They're not "scams" by the evil locals targeted at foreigners. They're simply the typical difficulties and hurdles that every business owner, local or foreign, faces when running a business here.
or anywhere else.

The Association of Certified Fraud Examiners estimates that businesses lose 5% of their annual revenue to employee fraud and abuse. Small businesses—particularly those that have fewer than 150 employees—are the most vulnerable to employee fraud schemes.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:40 pm What electricity scam? That vague nonsensical second-hand report doesn't count.
:plus1:

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Multipox wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:32 pm We are already discussing the electricity bill scam in another thread. It basically comes down to: pay the EDC not the landlord and check the reliability of the meter.

any others?
This is part answer to the other thread (electricity bill scam)
When I had the business in Koh Kong we paid for the electricity in Thai baht. I suspect it was that way because being the border town and the supply being from Thailand, you could pay in US or Reil, with currency adjustment's on the baht.
Firstly the Business (legal) rates 10 baht per kW. Domestic rates 6 baht per kW. It could be the landlord of your friends is having to pay the business rate and passing the cost on to his tenants so he/she is not at a loss.

Business owners so called "scams" if any, or how law abiding they are. So I would say very little if any on part of a expat business, it could be said they could earn better monies or scam in their own country. Here if he/she abide by all the rules, (briefly) business registration, work permit, tax. The only so called scams to worry, or being concerned about are of fellow expats scamming them, such has not paying for goods or provided services, or asking for credit or cheaper rates, because some feel entitled due to being a expat has ones self.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Multipox wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:32 pm We are already discussing the electricity bill scam in another thread. It basically comes down to: pay the EDC not the landlord and check the reliability of the meter.

any others?
You believe the landlord will only overcharge the expats with the electricity bill?

The Khmer tenants pay just the same. Rule one: make sure you have your own meter and pay directly to edc.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

There are so many types of scams, it is not realistic to discuss them all. Cambodians also scam Cambodians, not just foreigners.

Here is one: topic34710.html

There was another one where apartments were sold to foreigners for $100,000 each, but the seller never transferred the title. So they were each scammed out of $100,000.

Land was sold to a foreigner, who paid $17,000. The seller received $7,000. $10,000 was commission.

Some things are not really a scam, but questionable business practices.

A foreigner sets up a good business, so the owner puts the rent up.

A business person leases land, builds a building, and sets up a business. When the business person leaves, the building is a gift to the owner. The owner may then ask the next tenant to pay for the building, as well as pay a lease.

Talk to people who run businesses. You will hear a lot about what goes on.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

explorer wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:24 pm There are so many types of scams, it is not realistic to discuss them all. Cambodians also scam Cambodians, not just foreigners.

Here is one: topic34710.html

That isn't one, do you realize that Pattaya is in Thailand and that the name of the perpetrator is obviously Thai?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

The electricity scam is just a situation where the property owner pays for the electricity, and expects the tenant to pay him/her at a higher price. Some Cambodians consider this to be normal business practice. Making a bit of extra money on the side.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic